Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Breedlove club!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by gitold, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ciaran49

Ciaran49 TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2016
    uk
    bit of a tale with my Solo C350/SRe-12.
    It developed a strong dissonance ((distortion) on a couple of notes - F# and A played on the lower (E A D) strings and particularly ‘up the fingerboard’.
    Normally I’d fix it myself but the guitar was sold to me as new with full warranty, all be it that it was a 2013 model - so NOS.
    I noticed on trying it ‘plugged in’ in the store the jack was hard to pull outa the jack socket, like real tight.
    On having it for a few weeks and plugging it in at home and out at my ‘open mic / jam’ night I noticed it getting worse so did some fault finding.
    My initial thoughts when hearing these loud distortions were - Oh no - it’s ’structural’ - a loose brace or truss rod ‘rattle’ and the like - not a good feeling.

Turned out to be the jack sock / battery holder at the tail end had come loose - due to the excessive force needed to extract the jack, the 3 little retaining wood screws holding the plastic housing had been loosened (stripped the thread in the end block) allowing it to vibrate. The distortion ceased when I held the jack / battery holder, the screws are to short / small to securely hold the unit in place - with the socket being that tight on the jack.

I took it back to the store which has an in house ’Tech’, now this is where it gets entertaining (for myself) dealing with store assistants / technical staff.
    I outlined the issues described above to the Tech and I was told - “oh no - it won’t be that, it’s usually the ‘wires’ touching something inside”, dissing my observations, like - your a customer - (and a senior citizen) what would you know.

Sorry to ramble on but just to warn folks to this issue (on any guitar) with this kinda setup, as it’s something I’ve never come across before.

Got it back ’n the tech said he’d checked the wiring and found a wiring tie stuck to one of the braces - that was the problem !! - somehow I don’t think so. He also said he’d tighten the screws in the jack / battery holder but did’nt splay / open the overly tight jack connectors to reduce the ‘grip’ on the jack.
    All in all I can see myself replacing the wood screws and opening the connectors.

Thankfully I still have faith and trust in my garage to keep me safely ‘on the road’.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks for sharing that. My older concert that I bought used in March has that same design of battery compartment/jack input/end pin, and I've noticed that plugging in and pulling out is a tight fit. I haven't noticed the battery compartment being loose, or any resultant dissonance/distortion, but now I'll be aware of that possible problem.

3. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't know how many Breedlove owner/enthusiasts are fathers, but I suspect at least a few, so...Happy Father's Day! :)

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I guess not much in the way of Breedlove action has been happening in the first quarter of 2017. Maybe an "anniversary" post can change that.

I came here to post just as a celebration of sorts. It was a year ago today that I acquired my second Breedlove, a Passport Plus C250SBe. The story and a number of pics are on the previous page of this thread, but I'll include a pic in this post just to get ya started...

Okay, two pics, another one of both my Breedloves side by side...

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've been playing my Breedloves (see pics above) a lot more lately. I've gigged with both of them just recently.

A little more than a month ago, I did a gig with my younger brother, using my C250SBe. I chose the concert sized Breedlove because I was doing the whole gig with him, and the smaller body is more comfortable for the long haul (which is why I bought it in the first place).

Then this past Tuesday night, I gigged with my brother again. It was our Mom's 85th birthday, and he has a residency at a local restaurant every Tuesday night, so we made it into a family party. I was just going to play with him on his middle set, so I decided to use my Breedlove AD25/SM that night. I thought it would better match up with his Taylor dreadnought. As it turned out, by the end of his second set, only our family was left on the patio, so we just essentially jammed together. (Others came out later, but he had me stay on, so I finished out the night playing with him.)

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    If all goes according to plan, this Thursday I'll have a video made of me performing a composition of mine at a seniors community here in town. i'm going to do the gig with my Breedlove AD25/SM, an Atlas series dreadnought.

The pic above was taken when this Atlas series Breedlove (on the left) was still new. I think I'd had it for like a month when that picture was taken. I include it here to give other guitars as a reference point. On the right side of the pic is my 1983 Japanese vintage Hohner G940, a standard sized dreadnought. In the middle is my mahogany Logan Custom tele. The Breedlove is clearly bigger; wider across the lower bout by something like an inch, and a deeper body. I call it the love child of a dreadnought and a jumbo. :D Here is another pic of the dreadnought, taken about a year ago, next to my Concert sized Breedlove.

I am choosing this guitar over my Concert because of the big, deep body. The video will be of me playing a piece in Double Dropped D tuning, and so the droning strings and bass notes will really be accentuated by this guitar. At the same time, the tonal range of this guitar is quite balanced; the trebles are clear and strong. So, after Thursday, I should have a video of me playing to share in this thread. Fair warning/caveat: my playing won't be anything fantastic. I'll be sharing to showcase the guitar, not me.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well, my video was disappointing, on several counts. The number of mistakes made me cringe when I listened to the playback. The cell phone recording wasn't the greatest, and the tone of the strings I had on the guitar (an 80/20 set) was almost tinny to my ear. I think I'll try to record it again in a different room with phosphor bronze strings and see how that goes.

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    [​IMG]

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day.

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Happy Father’s Day to all the TDPRI/Breedlove enthusiast fathers out there!

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yesterday I went in to the local GC, mainly to look for strings. It was in the middle of the afternoon, so I before walking in I didn't know if I'd play any guitars. At that time of day, there can be a would be shredders wanking away, making too much noise for an old curmudgeon like me to be able to hear myself think, much less hear myself play guitar. As it turned out, though, the acoustic guitar room was empty, so I went in to check out acoustics.

I always look for Breedloves and Martins. One caught my eye, because it was a Breedlove without one of those tell-tale hang tags on the headstock. So I didn't know the series, model #, specs or the price. I could tell it was a Breedlove concert size, and acoustic/electric. The label inside the body said "Pursuit Concert - PSC31CE." So it was a $500 guitar. If I'm reading the specs on the guitar right (or on the right guitar), what I played had a solid cedar top and sapele B&S, and it had Fishman electronics. I didn't plug it in, but test-drove it unplugged.

Good tone, warm and balanced. Action and intonation were great. I did my usual test-drive bits: flat picking "Old Joe Clark," finger picking "Blackbird," strumming "Proud Mary," etc.

Darned if Breedlove doesn't make a good guitar! :D

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Lately, I've taken to going back to my Atlas series dread Breedlove (AD25/SM) for gigs. As I've said before, I bought my Breedlove Concert for the more comfortable size, and it's a great gigging acoustic/electric. My dread is really big (wide across the lower bout, deep body), and when I was gigging with it in a restaurant for 4 hours at a time, my right shoulder would really be hurting at the end of the gig.

But I do short shows (1 hour) for various seniors communities, which doesn't wear me out too much. I've got one such gig coming up this afternoon, so I'm taking the AD5/SM.

15. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    There is something not right that gnaws at me from living in Oregon and not owning a Breedlove. I've always gone the Seagull route but I think I can officially promise and swear that my next guitar will be a Breedlove. They really are a great acoustic guitar that should be mentioned in the same breath as Martin's, Gibson's, Taylor's, etc. but have been under the radar. I'll keep you posted and "join up" when I do take the plunge.

LGOberean likes this.

16. archiestone

archiestone TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2003
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Planning to list Breedlove 12 string in classifieds shortly. Please check it if interested. She's a beauty.

17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I've got a Discovery CE

[​IMG]

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Nice. Is that newly acquired? I ask because that spruce top looks like it's aged a bit. It isn't as "white" looking as a lot of new Sitka spruce tops. It has the look of a nice, warm patina.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    Larry, I got it this year. It's got a 2016 serial number and is a little bit lighter colored than that in person, but not a lot.

LGOberean likes this.

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've just been checking out the new body size for Breedlove this year: the Concertina. It's described as a small bodied guitar, and the specs bear that out. There are 5 models listed on the page for this body size (https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/shapes/concertina-body-shape). They all sport: an 18 fret/12 to the body construction; a body depth of 3.25" at the neck and 4" at the tail; a width across the lower bout of 14;75". And with the exception of just 1 of those 5 models, they have a 25: scale length (the Oregon Concertina E in Sitka Spruce & Myrtlewood is listed as having a 25/5" scale length).

This got me to looking at the specs on Breedlove's parlors. And though there is a bit more variance between models, they essentially have the same specs. Like the Concertina, the 18 frets/12 to the body construction, and basically 13.5" width across the lower bout. Interesting thing: in the second of the two videos below, Miles Benefield at NAMM 2018 said of the Concertina body shape, "It basically replaces our parlor." :confused: Parlor models are still listed on the website, some I'm not sure what that's about.

Anyway, anyone here own or have played one of these new Concertinas?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.