Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Breedlove club!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by gitold, Jun 17, 2009.

1. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I have a Breedlove Atlas series AD20 sr plus dread and it's a wonderful guitar. Keeps up with guitars 3 times it's prices and plays like a dream.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have a Breedlove AD25/SM acoustic/electric (A=Atlas series; D=dreadnaught; 2=deep body; 5=soft cutaway; S=Sitka Spruce top; M=solid Mahogany Back and laminate Mahogany sides). Last August, this model was being discontinued, and so MF and GC had it at the discounted price of $550, so I snapped it up. Here are some pics.

On the left (in my right hand) is my Breedlove. In the center is my Logan Custom mahogany solid body Tele. On the right (in my left hand) is my 26 year old vintage Japanese-made Hohner G940.
    [​IMG]

My Breedlove AD25/SM in action.
    [​IMG]

I hate to say it, but I’ve had some problems with this guitar. It does what I need it to do, which is handle the acoustic numbers at my gigs, but when playing for pleasure I prefer my Hohner G940. Since I assume that the tone of this club thread is to be positive and appreciative, I’ll say no more about my problems with it here (unless asked). Overall, I do like this Breedlove, and at $550 it was certainly worth the money.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    bwj02 likes this.

3. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hope I haven’t done a buzz kill on this thread before it even gets going. I also hope I didn’t come off as not liking anything about the guitar.

So let’s see, positives. First off, it is one good looking guitar. Love the look of (to say nothing of the functionality of) the cutaway. Love the woods. Well, I would have preferred an ebony fretboard, but at this price I reconciled myself to the Rosewood. The spruce top has a nice look, and will just get warmer with age.

And the sound is very good, especially unplugged, good tone and projection. A little boomy, but I like the sound of that big Dread body. It sounds very nice through the amp as well. The Fishman electronics are not the very best I’ve seen, but they’re good.

As I said before, overall, I do like this Breedlove, and at $550 it was certainly worth the money.

bwj02 likes this.

4. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Is this the one? Concert size, cedar top, rosewood backsides, acoustic/electric?
    [​IMG]

It looks like this model may have been discontinued as well.

6. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a 1996 C2/W: sitka top, claro walnut back and sides, bloodwood binding.

7. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2007
    Australia
    Count me in. I've got the passport C25CE steel string and ACN250 Nylon string. I love 'em.

I'm looking to get another Breedlove but not too soon. Gotta finish that Tele project first. ;)

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Pics, guys?

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just have to brag on my Breedlove AD25/SM…here it is again.

[​IMG]

Some friends invited a group of people, about a dozen or so of us, out to their lake house. I did a little kayaking with my wife, we grilled burgers and dogs and had a great meal, a lot of shooting the breeze among friends…and then on to guitar playing. Our host is also a guitar player, but tonight he declined to get out his Takamine, and instead just had me do the playing.

First I played for a small group of friends in the living room. Then later, after the meal, I played on the pier overlooking the lake, and later still we retired to the fire on the lake shore.

My Breedlove just shined in all three settings, from fingerstyle playing in the living room to the outdoor settings. Aside from in my own living room, I haven’t played it much unplugged. I was very pleased with its subtlety both for more intimate settings and fingerstyle play and for its rich sound and projection outdoors.

10. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry--it took me a while to get around to it:
    IMG_4041.jpg Zee front.
    IMG_4044.jpg Zee back with fiddleback walnut.
    IMG_4049.jpg Binding detail--a little bloodwood whale tail, anyone? :eek:
    IMG_4048.jpg Top detail with segmented rosette and soundhole binding.

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Wow! Well worth the wait for pics. :D That has a beautiful old world look to it. And I love the walnut back and sides (especially that fiddleback walnut back), and the boolwood binding.

12. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2007
    Australia
    Here's the pic of my twins. Love 'em.

[​IMG]

13. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I think Breedloves are one of the most original, beautiful looking guitars built. I was smitten by the looks a few years before getting my hands on one. I must admit, I was VERY disappointed with the tone and playability of several of the ones I've tried. I will add however, that the only ones I've played have been at Guitar Center.....home of high action and old strings! I did play a used one the other day that had the most incredible bass response....just a freakin' cannon. I tuned it to DADGAD and the low notes rattled the windows!

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I like the looks of Breedloves as well. BTW & FWIW, I personally like the pinless bridge. To me that's more than a cosmetic thing, but it does give it a more unique look.

My only issue is playability. I'm happy enough with the tone on mine.

"Guitar Center.....home of high action and old strings!" Yeah, I agree. I've used the local GS's AV53RI for months to test out amps. I don't think they've ever changed the strings on it. As for the strings on the Breedlove I got, I think I lucked out. It was strung with D'Addario coated strings, and they felt brand new when I bought the guitar.

15. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Breedlove Atlas jumbo 12 string. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Now that sure is pretty. How 'bout sharing some specs?

To be honest, looks notwithstanding, I'd think that 12 would be a bear to play, given my experience with my own 6 string Atlas. I assume that since you say you love it, you like the way it plays? Not too stiff?

17. Joe-Bob

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I had it set up, but it's still alot more work than I'm really used to.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    That's a nice way of putting it. I relate to that. My AD25/SM is not un-playable; it's just that in terms of playability, it's a lot more work than I'm used to.

19. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I'm really suprised with all the playability issues.My Breedlove Atlas is set up at 3/32 at the 12th fret high e 1/16 at the 12th fret low e and plays like BUTTA with no buzz.Have you guy's done any work on your guitars? My neck has no relief what so ever and plays great.

20. Joe-Bob

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I never meant that it played badly at all.

I'm just not used to having to mash down on that many strings. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.