Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Breakout box - breadboard testing

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by poiureza, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    I need a better breakout box.
    Mine is barely OK for a quick test at home but it's not something I could carry away in my car to the rehearsal space.

    Do I have to rely on DIY ? I can't seem to find anything commercial and sturdy.
    As much as I love experimenting with circuits, I hate having to bother with all that external hook up gizmo.

    Any easy solution avail ?
    What do you use ?
     
  2. Lunchie

    Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

    Attached Files:

  3. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    Thanks Lunchie, DIY is plan B.

    I have a ... thing (couldn't possibly call this an I/O box) with jacks, a couple switches and loose wires sticking out.

    I have a couple questions if you don't mind :
    - How did you attach the enclosure to the wood ?
    - Same for the terminal strip on the enclosure ? Or is the strip attached on the wood instead ?
    - Did you have to electrically isolate everything from the enclosure ? I see the switch has a plastic or nylon washer, but what about the jack and the pot ?
    - Did you drill some small holes in the enclosure to connect its internals to the strip (hard to see in the pic) ?

    Thanks in advance


    PS : I made a quick estimate for a DIY thingy.
    For an I/O box + a control box (a couple pots and switches), I'm already @ $30 plus the enclosures + the base plate.

    Would it be a bad thing to make the base plase out of aluminum so everything is already ground connected ? Saves a couple solder joints, wires and bolts. No idea how this would influence hum and such though ...
     
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

  5. Lunchie

    Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

    The enclosure is just attached with Velcro and the breadboards came with puffy tape stuff already on them. I have found that the glue they use on velcro, even the cheap stuff, will stick like a mofo to wood if you leave them alone long enough to soak in. I've ripped fingernails off trying to get pedals off of wooden pedalboards.

    I dont remember having to isolate anything from the enclosure. The plastic washer I used was the one that came with the switch. It did have a pretty thick layer of paint on the enclosure, that probably helped as well.

    Yeah I just drilled some small holes to run the wires through. Don't really need the strip, could just run them into the breadboard directly. I just used the strip mostly because I had it laying around.

    This was my first attempt at building anything pedal related and it was a success the first time. I would say my soldering skills are average and my electronics knowledge is nonexistant and it worked the first time :lol:.

    Since then I have had 4 builds 3 EM-Drive clones and a SHO. The first EM-Drive never worked and couldnt figure out why so I moved on to a second. The second one caught on fire, I had a bad ground on a pot and a little flame came out of it and started smoking :lol:. The third one worked but then quickly turned into a Fart machine. I am pretty sure the PIO caps are failing in it, its fun to play with but I cant see it being any good for anything lol. After the failed EM-Drives I moved onto the SHO that worked first time except for the LED. I didnt use a big enough resistor (I think).

    Anyway, cheers on the hobby, its a lot of fun when things work :D.
     
  6. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    Thanks for all the info.
    Looks more and more like I'll have to go DIY ...

    And yep, not sure I would actually need any terminal strips.
    I still think an all aluminum chassis (enclosures + plate) might turn out great.
    Gotta think some more about those ground connections ...


    I have a bunch of breadboard circuits all over the place. All do work (not always on the first run :D) but none is really outstanding, save the Bosstone which looks very promising already.
    I really have to try them now at loud levels at the rehearsal space in order to tweak them. Hence I really need a rugged and complete breakout box.
     
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  7. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    Jeez I'm slow

    4 months since I started working on the box (yeah I did the DIY in the end) and still not finished.

    I'm looking for second wind here, please bear with my selfserving pics :D
     

    Attached Files:

  8. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    Looking good so far
     

    Attached Files:

  9. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    The dreadful mini switches
     

    Attached Files:

  10. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    Decal template testing
     

    Attached Files:

  11. poiureza

    poiureza Tele-Holic

    989
    Apr 19, 2012
    Belgium
    And this is how far I got ...
    Not a lot left to do but I can't seem to focus on ending the job :rolleyes:
     

    Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Share This Page