Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Breaking in Epi Les Paul Custom Ebony 1955

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Larry F, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I just bought this guitar and really like how it plays. Except that it feels like new shoes. How do you recommend I approach the breaking in idea for the neck and ebony fingerboard? (BTW, I thought ebony was a banned wood now.)

mnutz likes this.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Congratulations! Can you post some pics? I went to GC a few weeks back to play Les Pauls, and that one was the best of all I played (both Gibsons and Epiphones). I ended up with an Epiphone 56 Les Paul Pro with P-90s in ebony, which I found used online. I think Epiphone is making some great guitars these days!

mnutz likes this.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Put about 500 hours on it, then make your assessment.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I'd like to speed up the process. I haven't owned many new guitars, so the neck feels uncaressed/unstrangled/ to me. I was hoping to get advice like put it in a room and turn the lights on and off for a period of time. Or, drap warm laundry from the dryer on the neck. After working out, remove your soaking wet t-shirt and rub all that sweat into the fingerboard or neck. Anything concrete like this?

mnutz likes this.

6. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    it's a thick poly finish, it's going to stay new feeling forever unless you scotchbrite it or sand a bit at it. But hopefully you'll get more comfortable with it and more familiar. Its not really going to wear in.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i take a scotchbrite pad to the back of my necks (it doesnt take much) and it makes them feel really smooth until they get gunked up again.

Nickadermis and Chicago Matt like this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +2 on the Scotchbrite method on the back of the neck. I start with green for as little as 10 seconds, then polish out the roughness with white Scotchbrite. Repeat process until you acquire the feel that you want. The only two guitars that I have never done this to had nitro finish. Just removing some of that glossy clearcoat makes it look and feel like it is broken in.

Otherwise, just play the heck out of it. Leave it out of it's case, so that you grab it and play everytime you see it.

Nickadermis likes this.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Roll the edges of the fretboard by rubbing with the shaft of a phillips screwdriver or other cylindrical metal thing.
    Put it in the bathroom, throw in a piece of raw meat, close and bar the door.

StrangerNY, mnutz and Nickadermis like this.

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the new guitar. Those look fantastic, and I bet it sounds awesome too!

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Larry usually practices several hours a day; I'm pretty sure it's broken in by now. ;-)

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    We need pics and a review!
    Bones had one he didn't like.
    By the time I got the idea to try to buy it, it was sold.
    Something about those staple pickups just DOES IT for me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.