Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Breaking Bad Season 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by voodoo_idol, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I very much liked the ending.

I don't know if it was exactly what Walt thought it would be, finding Jesse, but I think in the end he gave Jesse his shot. They both left, not buds, but on equitable terms.

They really wrapped up everyone else too. I don't who's end was better Lydia or Todd's Uncle (Jack??). I kinda liked Walt ending Todd's Uncle before he could "beg" any more; kinda little justice for Hank. Maybe Todd should have suffered more, but it let Jesse get his revenge.

All good.

I don't get boxed sets often, but I am getting this one.

Well done.

2. Timbertea

Timbertea Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2010
    Near St Louis, MO
    Because I liked the show, my beloved got into it...Now she wants to watch it from the beginning. So I figure the big box set will be out right about the time we get to the end of season 4. That should work out well.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    appropriate ending, Walt was a bad guy but not for his whole life, just for 5 seasons.! He tried to make amends with the people he cared about, it seemed he did the best he could do under the conditions. He cared greatly for his family and Jesse . The sad thing is the reality of being such a bad guy involved in such an evil thing... Vince brought that out and didn't sugar coat it. We all wanted to really like Walt, and we kinda did, but geeze he became a really bad guy there was no way he could walk away from what he became. There was only one ending, one way or the other...

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I think what is important is that people pay attention. This is a show where lots of us paid close attention, looked at context clues, ruminated over the morality of a situation and saw it in multiple contexts… but the constant was that we all paid attention…

somebody posted a pic of Camus today… I think he'd dig that sentiment… sometimes the good man is the man who pays the most attention.

5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

How about that badfinger at the end? Perfect selection :)

6. creading

creading Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    California
    How true. Amazing how well it fit.

7. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    I'm not familiar with the song, but I agree that it was a good choice.

8. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Consider this: One can not “do” anything for another....one can only “do” for one's self.

I submit:

If you are home in bed, sick with the flu...and I decide to make chicken soup and deliver it to you...
    what is the baseline driver of my behavior?
    Is it that I am a compassionate human being who selflessly gives of himself to others?

No. I am merely satisfying or accomodating my internal belief system which dictates that I “do good things for others”. I can do nothing else and still be in compliance.

One can argue that “well, nice people are more selfless and do good things for others”...but that is irrelevant to the reality of the issue. I am still “doing it” for me...if I am being intellectually honest...

9. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    Walt did it for himself, mainly. Though, taking care of his family was definitely a big influence on the decision.

If he was truly, selflessly doing it for his family he would have swallowed his pride and taken Elliot/Gretchen's money when it was offered.

10. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    ...and internalizing that will also disburden one of some other useless fantasies from one's future.

Crap. Continuation of my post not J-man's post between.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Very astute point. I wasn't judging this from either a good or bad perspective though. I simply meant that in the end, he still got the money to his family which I believe was his ultimate motivation to begin with.
    He tells Skylar that "he did it for himself, cause he liked it and he was good at it". That doesn't preclude a noble outcome.

"Chemistry is transformation". Cancer is transformation.
    He transformed from an individual who lived his life being a nice guy and trying to please everybody in his life, to the person that he really was. All of those years of being a "good little boy" had gotten him nowhere. So now that he had a terminal cancer and was dying he decided to live what was left of his life as he had always wanted to.
    It's all evident in the speech he gives when the family tries to talk him into chemo. He tells them that he wants to live, what''s left of his life, in his own manner.
    So I don't look on his reaction to the death sentence as either bad or good. it just is, and he ended up getting $9 million to his family. He might not have during all of the time period been thinking of his family and the money, but in the end, when the whole thing was over, he did all he could to get them the money he made.
    I think, too, that all of his adult life after college and his split with Gretchen, he fumed over their stealing and making billions off of his genius. When he finally had a chance to get even he took it., but all the while making $46K as a teacher while his two "best friends" stole his ideas and made the money they did and lived the life they did had to eat his lunch.

(Little side note. The idea for all of the interaction between the Schwartz's and Walt came from a young boy who was dying of cancer in LA. Gilligan got a note from someone on the staff who told him this kid was calling his office about meeting Cranston. The boy thought they had a lot in common as they both were dying of cancer. So Cranston and Gilligan, and other cast members went to see him. Cranston asked him if there was anything that he would like to see, and he brought up Gretchen and Elliot. Gilligan had said that they had forgot about the couple, but they knew that was what was missing from the last script. Cool, huh?)

12. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I agree with your point that we are all inherently selfish. But I do believe that there is a line where the traits of selfish concern and empathy meet. And it is possible to step over that line and be self-sacrificing.
    Your illustration of the soup for example,
    if you have the ingredients at home, and you know how to make chicken soup, and the expense and time have no real value to you, then yes, a person who brings it over is doing that for themselves, maybe.
    However, if you are a person who has extremely small amounts of money coming in, and a huge family to take care of, feed, and clothe, and one chicken will feed your family for 2 days, and you just spent your last buck on the chicken. you then make the soup and bring it to the sick, I would view that as empathy and self sacrifiice w/o selfish motive.

This is a really interesting topic.
    So do you think that it is wrong for someone to do good for others and take pleasure in it? If I have $20 million dollars and go to 20 people and give them a million a piece that it has no value if I feel good about both their receipt and my giving?

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Did I miss something? I don't remember them stealing anything. I thought Walt simply bailed out due to "creative differences," and the company went on to become a big success.

14. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Walt just rationalized it that way, that they 'stole' the name from him, or some ideas, whatever.. when the reality was he sold his stock for $5k and thought he'd go on to bigger and better things (which turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of his life).

15. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

It was a matter of romantic betrayal coupled with A very large but stifled ego.

16. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    You just went right to the heart of the matter...
    One does good for others BECAUSE one takes pleasure in it.

For the human condition, the universe has given us only two guidelines by which to act: pursuit of pleasure & avoidance of harm.

Good/bad, right/wrong are cultural-societal constructs...and they are subjective.

Accepted ("right") behavior in one society can be abhorrent ("wrong") to another.

Right and wrong can only exist inside our own minds.

In your example, if 10 of the people to whom you gave $1M were, unbeknownst to you, addicted to crystal meth, your act might have sealed their fate.

If the other 10 were, unbeknownst to you, terrorists actively seeking about $10M to fund heinous acts, your generosity might have sealed the fate of others.

While the repercussions are beyond your control...you are feeling pretty warm and fuzzy until you turn on the news somewhere down the line...were your actions right or wrong, good or bad? Subjective.

That's stretch and far off my main point...just random musings based on your question.

17. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    My thoughts exaclty.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

lebowski sez...

Attached Files:

19. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    Toronto
    Loved it. Miss it already.

Favorite show of all time, for me.

20. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    He blinded them with science, but he murdered them with bullets. And science.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.