Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Brazilian walnut tele build got a question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by playforfun, Dec 18, 2013.

1. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

My friend an tech is going to build my dream guitar. I've always wanted a rosewood telecaster but have never been able to find one. He is going to make a 2 piece body from some rosewood he's had for years. The wood is 1 1/2 in thick. What is the normal thickness of a tele body an does it matter? Thanks for any input or suggestions on this project. We will start after Christmas. The only thing I'm pretty sure of at this point is that I will use a 1970 bridge an pick up from another tele I have.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  2. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Ok just found the spec's for a normal tele build. Looks like mine is gonna be thinner.

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Tele-Afflicted

Thinner will be better for this one. Rosewood can be heavy. You may need to go with smaller pots in order to fit in a shallower control cavity.

Good luck!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

I have done several thinner Tele bodies.
    CTS pots will fit no problem. The issue is the depth needed for the switch.
    The bottom floor of the control route will be about 1/8" to 3/16" thick.

Mount the switch in the control plate.
    Bend the bottom terminals on the switch straight out, 90 degrees.
    Set the plate on the top of the body and mark the bottom of the switch on the outside of the body.
    Set your router to that depth.
    If the body is any thinner than 1.4" and you will have to use a SG type switch.

6. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. I'll post progress but is gonna be slow.

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Just about every tele I've built has been 1 1/2" thick. I've even made one thinner, but I had to use a different switch because the standard tele switch was too deep.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer then thinner...

9. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Ok has anybody ever held a rosewood tele? I stopped by tech's shop today an held what will become the body of my rosewood tele. It's beautiful an weighs a ton. I generally like a tele to be a plank of wood but really think I'm gonna ask him to contour the body for weight relief. Just the belly cut but this is still gonna be heavy. Here's what I have so far.

Attached Files:

10. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Thanks for the thread now I have a lot to think about. I was planning on keeping it solid. The wood was given to me by the tech an he is doing the build at no charge so I'm gonna let him guide me. He is open to suggestions but that may be asking too much. That is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen. Mr Rutters is a very talented builder!!

12. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Ok after research discovered this is not rosewood but Brazilian walnut or IPE. Anyway still excited about this build just don't want to be misleading. I'll continue to post my progress.

13. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Wow, an Ipe guitar, that is going to be heavy. I love Ipe, it rings like a bell, bright and almost bone like. I've used it for fingerboards before never had a piece big enough for a body. I'd seriously consider making it chambered, and I'll bet it'll be beautiful.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ipe is beautiful. I took a chance one day and bought a $40 Tele-ish homebrew body painted in thick gooey orange sparkly stuff off eBay. Nothing against sparkly stuff when done right but this stuff was shoveled on. After stripping it I found beautifully grained Ipe was waiting underneath. Now this guitars weight could embarrass an LP but she is beautiful and the two Firebird style pups now in there are very happy. Chambering is a good idea!

Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.