Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brazilian rosewood?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by fernandomp, Jul 5, 2016.

1. fernandomp

fernandomp TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Spain
    Hi, im new on this forum.
    I was looking for a new acoustic and i saw a handmade guitar with a beautiful rosewood back and sides. Im not an expert, in most of the cases im not sure to difference brazilian and indian rosewood, but in this case, there is a whiteis part in the back. It looks to me like brazilian, but i don't know if this white parts could be in a indian rosewood.
    Sorry for mi bad english and thanks in advance.
    Here some pics
    1467749973006.jpg 1467749980071.jpg

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
  3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't help you on the identification, but that's pretty wood. Welcome to the forum.

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I'd go over to to the UMGF website and do a search.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    +1 on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

The light parts are sapwood, the outer part of the board from the outer part of the tree near the bark. I'm not sure on the exact species, but the dark part looks a bit light for Brazilian rosewood to me. Brazilian is usually chocolate brown, and can have a slight purple color in spots. This is the headstock on my old Yairi, which is Brazilian:

[​IMG]

Two good clues for Brazilian are smell and price. First, it has a slight smell of flowers, which is where the name rosewood came from. Second, it's listed on the CITES treaty as restricted. You can't buy, sell, trade, export, or import it unless it was cut prior to 1992 and you have the paperwork to prove it. This makes it very expensive and scarce.

I'm kind of thinking cocobolo might be what that guitar is. The brown and cream colors are about right for that wood.

6. Ciaran49

Ciaran49 TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2016
    uk
    hi fern, theres a few things that I find 'unusual' about this guitar -
    1: the lower bout is very large compared to the overall size / length - odd design which makes me wonder about the rest of the design in particular structurally.
    2: the sides are 'slab' sawn and are liable to 'cup' meaning distort and crack..
    3: It could be any one of many 'rosewoods' (Dalbergia) and the most reliable way to tell is - smell - this would mean rubbing the inside with sandpaper and smelling the dust.
    It should smell like - hey - roses - like sweet spicy / cinnamon - thats why it's called rose - wood. Most of the Brazilian rosewood ever used was used in the perfume industry.
    good luck

7. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Hard to be sure from a low res photo but it doesn't look like Brazilian to me. There are lots of Rosewoods variants other than Indian and Brazilian used by smaller makers and this could be one of a few different types but I think Pau Ferro (also known as Santos or Bolivian Rosewood) could be a definite possibility with this one.

8. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Looks like Cocobollo to me, which isn't bad thing considering the issues with Brazilian RW these days.

9. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy TDPRI Member

May 22, 2016
    North Iowa
    I would also concur, I would say it's Cocobolo as well.

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I don't think it's either Brazliian rosewood or Cocobolo. Both are usually darker--cocobolo has a lot more red in it. Just my opinion: its some other tropical hardwood

f5joe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.