Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

BRASS vintage bridge PLATE ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Doug C, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2011
    Big D
    Does anyone know of a vintage style bridge plate made from solid brass? That's not plated with anything else? I see mighty mite has one but it seems MM products aren't always up to par with other makers - but that may just be a huge misconception on my part. There must be others to have produced these, no? especially since everyone and their dogs make brass saddles..

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

3. Dellis

Dellis Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2011
    UK
    These rather interest me.

I've never been one for certain materials meaning certain things in tone, but could someone enlighten me on the advantages of such a bridge? Apart from looking great, of course.

Thanks,

D.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2008
    Freehold NJ
  6. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2011
    Big D
    Thanks for that link... just to be clear, is the one you posted in the second link, "standard rails" or "trimmed rails".. I assume trimmed but...

7. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2011
    Big D
    I have to admit that I'm only assuming a better sustain and tone than stock, but I'm mostly wanting it because keith richards and andy summers use(d) solid brass bridge plates and I dig the look, and their tones. Though their's aren't vintage style and some folks don't care much for their sounds either, so YMMV.

8. GaryJ

GaryJ Tele-Meister

And brass isn't magnetic, so it doesn't effect the magnetic field of the pickup. I have one of the solid brass plates from Rare Breed. Expensive, but I love it. And hey, they even sent me a Christmas card. Never got one from Guitar Center.

9. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2011
    boulder,co
    I've got the armadillo Keith micawber plate and saddles(avatar pic is before adding the saddles). great improvement in overall sound.

10. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]
    HOLY! That thing looks bulletproof

11. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Doug...Yes the Photo is for the Trimmed rail Model...Here's a Pic of the Full Rail one I did one a Customer's Strummer...I distressed it some to match the rest of the Hardware. I was quite Impressed w/ the Customer Service and what it added to the Guitar in the Resonance department.

[​IMG]

12. Gibson

Gibson Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

13. Yes. (depends what you're trying to achieve).

Vince Stadler (Taipantone) used to do them as well. I bought a bunch of the half plates; never got around to getting the whole plate when Vince kinda shut things down.

[​IMG]

14. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2011
    Big D
    Great job all around Mellecaster! Man, I definately will have one of those Armadillo ones... and will eventually pair it up with a set of Glendale saddles. But I may have to start with one of the much cheaper solid brass mighty mite ones first, for around $40 with brass comp saddles. I'll age the crap out of it too. Thanks for the info guys!

15. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Have you got a link to the Mighty Mite brass bridge? I am curious and don't see it listed on the price list.

16. Gibson

Gibson Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Do you know a resource where the difference is discussed? Would be interested to learn more.

17. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2009
    Seattle
    Well, this isn't a total ghost thread as it's only a couple weeks old so I'm going to resurrect it. I have a GE Smith tele that I love dearly for its neck and light weight and the rest isn't bad either, but that half plate just isn't my cup of tea aesthetically. So, I bought a set of Rutters saddles, Aluminum E/A and Brass and a standard $15.00 Fender bridge plate thinking it was US made and put it all back together. It plays fine, the Rutters saddles are wonderful to behold, but the bridge plate is certainly lacking in craftsmanship and then I find out here that it's made offshore. I even put one on my James Burton Standard when I changed that to a three saddle bridge, actually the saddles off the Smith, which by the way sounds just fine with Jerry Donahue's trick. Anyway, I was leaning toward the Glendale bridge as per Billy Gibbons and Redd Volkaert, but having a little trouble bending my gourd around $100.00 for a better finish and no dimples in the corners. I've read all the Glendale, Callaham, Wilkinson, Barden accolades and doubt my ears can tell the difference between any of them, but that honkin' Armadillo brass bridge Mellecaster posted just has my full attention. I guess it's because I worked as a machinist in a past life, but that thing is a work of art! I do believe that's my next bridge. I'd like to twang, but haven't mastered that style so for now am still rockin' the blues. It'll be interesting to hear what the differences are, (if I can tell). Thanks for the post Mellecaster!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.