Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brainy Tribute: From Bits and Pieces to A Whole Thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rock-Ola, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Rock-Ola

Rock-Ola Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 26, 2009
    Hellsinkin', Finland
    Sprayed some nitro. Finally, I might add. Still a fair few coats to go. I need to work on my spray gun game, I basically just twiddled the knobs and hoped for the best. Not looking forward to the polishing, but this is one omelet that can't be made with eggs in the shell.

I'm also happy to confirm that Molotow Premium rattlecan does not mind being covered in nitro. At least PP doesn't. Nitro makes it look almost like Coral Pink, but of course we know better.

[​IMG]

Still trying to figure out how to tint the top. Red or pink would be the obvious choice. DPP is out (for this one).

[​IMG]

2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I bet Andy is "P" ing himself!!!!!!:eek::lol:

DC

DrASATele, Barncaster and Rock-Ola like this.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston

4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Do we call this the Brainy Burst :D

Arch Stanton and Rock-Ola like this.

5. Rock-Ola

Nov 26, 2009
    Hellsinkin', Finland
    In PG rated circles we do

2blue2 likes this.

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    It so cerebral. Funky Fun!

Dont

:D:rolleyes::cool:

Your gonna make that 2036 deadline.
    I Just Know It.

R. Stratenstein and Rock-Ola like this.

7. arne67

arne67 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2015
    norway
    93_1686954269.jpg Hello, Awsome build you have there. About the wood in the top i am sure that it is sorbus, i have made one of the same wood, it looks very much alike. And very well suited for guitar tops. Here is a photo of mine;

8. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    was hoping for an update

9. Rock-Ola

Nov 26, 2009
    Hellsinkin', Finland
    Hi Arne, great looking Tele. By sorbus I'm guessing you mean Sorbus aucuparia aka rowan aka (European) mountain ash. Here's a sorbus/rowan Strat body I'm working on. Very much unlike the top on the Brainy tribute. The spalted stripes are unusual in birch, but I'm still convinced it's birch.

[​IMG]

Me too buddy. I was hoping to have the body finished by now. Alas, I was foiled by my own stupidity. Sprayed a few more coats of nitro, thought it was dry enough, and packed it away for transport. Apparently fresh nitro and neoprene is not a good combination. (Don't know if cured nitro and neoprene would be much better.) Will have to sand it down and shoot a few more coats. I won't have access to spray equipment over the summer so it might be a while before I'm done.

2blue2 likes this.

10. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I feel your pain, I swear finishing is the hardest part of finishing, spray and respray again,
    and that lacquer takes a month+ to get kind of dry.

Rock-Ola likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.