Brainy presents: The Shockelele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Very nice, Brainy! Sounds great!

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Thanks Roger. I love to fitz around. And I do feel that the pickup looks better this way than the original design, so sometimes mistakes aren't so bad....

Mr Shock is very happy with it.

[​IMG]

Something really nice happened off the back of this. A number of my other colleagues, all of whom know I make instruments, were very complimentary (the usual 'oh we knew you made stuff, but we didn't think it would look so beautiful', which is really nice, but I kind of think means 'we thought it would look amateurish'). One in particular has a son with spinal muscular atrophy, which means he's wheelchair bound, only has limited use of his arms and hands and has little strength. She tells me how he loves music but there is almost nothing that is suitable for him to learn due to his limitations but he'd love to be able to play a ukulele or something similar. Anyway, I explain it's possible to customise pretty much anything except scale length for any size of guitar/ukulele etc. The family have a watch of my silly little demo, and now I am going to make a little electric ukulele for him that specifically fits him.

I'm really pleased and quite proud to be able to do this. :D

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  3. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

You can, of course, customize the scale length of a ukulele.

Soprano is typically around 13"
    Concert is typically around 15"
    Tenor is typically around 17"
    Baritone is typically around 19" (and is tuned DGBE, like the 4 highest guitar strings)

The sausages that I call fingers prefer the Tenor...

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Oh yeah, I know all that. I meant that an individual scale length in and of itself cannot be customised, where, for example, string spacing can be...

5. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Ahh... gotcha...

6. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I am slow to get the chance to hear this, but great sound. And you are selling yourself short on the not knowing how to play it.
    And that is a seriously impressive collection of pedals that you can put things through as well.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is touching about the little boy in the wheelchair. I was just thinking if he has limited hand dexterity because of his condition might find it easier to play an open-tuned uke, with a slide or bottleneck--no fancy and potentially frustrating finger positioning to make up chords.

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Thanks Dazz, much appreciated. Adrian, my old guitar teacher popped round yesterday and immediately showed me how easy basic scales and chords were.....might have made the demo slightly easier for me had he popped round before recording it.... The 'impressive collection' is the forefather of what I am doing on here. Building BYOC pedals led me to modding electric guitars, to partscasters, to TDPRI and here I am!

Yeah, that's an idea worth me suggesting/exploring. I think it's strength that is more of an issue for him than dexterity, but of course that also makes fretting a possible challenge for him.

I'm seeing Kim (my colleague) tomorrow to discuss the whole idea in more detail, and I plan to go and meet Jacob and spend some time working out what body shape, string spacing, etc would work for him. It's interesting seeing my career (children with special educational needs) and my hobby/love/obsession intersect. Not something I was expecting, but a genuine pleasure for me. I love the idea of being able to help the little lad access the thing I (and all of us on here) love so much: faffing around on stringed instruments. And as usual, I love being asked to do something that I can't just do from standard templates, something that isn't a replica of a common guitar, that leaves me lots of room for experimentation/mistakes/new processes or parts etc etc. I'll get lots of pleasure out of doing this, it's not entirely altruistic....

9. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

I hope the build goes though. Judging from your last uke, I have no doubt it will exceed their (and our) expectations.

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on such a well-received work, brainy!

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the next one. It sounds like you're the perfect guy for the job!

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work SIR!

12. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Yes, this has gone well... very well. Really cool build Brainy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.