Brainy presents: The Shockelele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I agree with Rick! The proportions are very nice. Good body shape for an electric uke!

Did you use my suggested string gauges? If so, did it work OK for you?

2. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Oh Brainy, this look great. I somehow missed the petite size of this. very well proportioned. Congrats!

I join the crew who votes for a sound sample.

3. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Very nice. +1 on the demo.

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Well, the bridge itself will be mainly wood. But the saddles will probably be copper. It's "all a grand experiment"

There is an interesting idea in there somewhere. Though the work involved in sticking numerous 1p pieces together vs the copper rod I already have......well, you can guess how that might turn out....

Thanks Dazz. Unfortunately, 'popular' demand is backing me into a Doing a Demo Corner.

Well, first off 'merchant banker' is rhyming slang. Which has become even more well deserved in recent years. I can't claim to know the history of bank holidays but they just = public holidays. There are two in May. I don't know why. But I like 'em.

According to wikipedia:

Until 1834, the Bank of England observed about 33 saints' days and religious festivals as holidays, but in 1834 this was reduced to four: 1 May (May Day), 1 November (All Saints' Day), Good Friday and Christmas Day. In 1871, the first legislation relating to bank holidays was passed when Liberal politician and banker Sir John Lubbock introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871, which specified the days in the table below.[3] Under the Act, no person was compelled to make any payment or to do any act upon a bank holiday which he would not be compelled to do or make on Christmas Day or Good Friday, and the making of a payment or the doing of an act on the following day was equivalent to doing it on the holiday.[4] The English people were so thankful that some called the first Bank Holidays St Lubbock's Days for a while.[5] Scotland was treated separately because of its separate traditions: for example, New Year is a more important holiday there.[citation needed]

As above, I give in to the demands for a demo. But just remember YOU ASKED FOR IT.

I certainly did, Jim. And to my untrained ears, they work just right.

Yeah, without something to compare it to, it's not obvious just how teeny tiny it is. Said the bishop to the actress.

I will endeavour to record me making noises with it this weekend.

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Some more glamour shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice pics and nice build.
    Grate job Sir!!!

7. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Don't blame me. You asked for it.

8. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Wot, no 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips'? :D

Awesome build - and for a man that claims he can't play the Uke, it sounded fine to me. Good work, Brainy!

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds excellent clean through the amp ! only negative thing i can say is you could of at least learned a George Formby tune for the demo :lol:

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

With the metal sign first up I waited for the heavy distortion. Perhaps another day :)

Build looks great and sounded great!

11. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Very nice.

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great job!!! It both looks and sounds fantastic!!!

13. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

I like it! I wasn't sure what to expect. Definitely not what I heard in my head.

14. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Cool!!!

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's cute as a button! Sounds very cool, too.

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Complete success. Looks great. Played clean, it sounded very uke-ish to me, played thru all the pedals, it sounded pretty cool, too. When does Mr. Shock take delivery of his new instrument?

It occurred to me watching the video that there was opportunity for name-games in your two last names, to wit: you could have named it "Brain-Shock", which would have been very cool indeed, I'm sure you'll agree. Oh, you don't agree? Well, right then, just carry on. I knew it was a dumb idea when I thought of it, but my cat insisted that I mention it.

17. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

It sounds great!

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Dear Brainy,
    I alllllllllmost walked away when you initially shunned the blessed reverb BUT you have redeemed yourself. That was a most excellent demo. I think the instrument sounds and looks fantastic. Please tell me it's future owner isn't a wanker. Thank you.
    Rob

19. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I was hoping to prove that I was in no way related to Tiny Tim. Not least because I cannot sing in his ludicrous and disturbing falsetto.

No no, I really couldn't have.

I did use a BYOC Big Muff, does that count?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Like me, eh? I am cute as a button and I sound cool. Right? Right?

Thanks Rick. It's going to Mr Shock on Tuesday. After a ridiculous amount of 'it'll be ready in the next two weeks' being said over the last, oh, 3 months? I know. Not a surprise, is it?

Me and him have discussed what it is when either one of us wave at someone.

Thank you kindly Robert. Mark is absolutely a decent bloke, and really keen to learn the ukulele. He bought himself a cheap, crappy acoustic one which he immediately hated. Because, of course, it wouldn't stay in tune for a period of time measurable in units greater than miliseconds. He's already bought himself an Orange Micro Crush amp, he's that keen! So rest assured, this is going to a very good home.

20. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome, brainy! That turned out really great, and it seems that all that fitzing with the pickup surround really paid off. It turned out to look very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.