Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brainy Memorial Momento: Thunderbird 2 - Expensively Cheap

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DrASATele, Jul 26, 2016.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Thanks guys.
    Be safe Rex!
    No feeling bad about any of the brainy builds and how slow, the longer they go on the more power his memory has.
    Blues I wish I could send you some of that smell!

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    So glad to hear you are doing better.

Dang dude, you did this all so quickly! And even with very little time in the shop. You are amazing!!

The necks and bodies look fabulous!

I feel like a slacker... :eek:

DrASATele likes this.

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

There is no slacking in a Brainy project, just finish waiting to be sanded back.

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Wow Chris! I'm glad you are past the surgery. Can't imagine the fear that builds before something with serious as that. My little sister had to have a similar procedure done last year and I was really worried for her. She has seemed to heal up really well and hope the same for you. Your builds are looking good! Dig that F hole!!!

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    And don't forget, on sanding and refinishing, there is NO time limit. :lol::lol:

DrASATele likes this.

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Glad to see some progress Doc

With all them guitars you started we all feel like slackers. Maybe I need to do an official 2017-18 Brainy build

DrASATele likes this.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'd say that would be worth at least another couple of years..

DrASATele likes this.

8. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Thanks all. I've got a bug or something. I'm building/starting each stupid little idea that skips across my brain. Like this random build I'll call the wounded T-Bird: IMG_4831.JPG
    I had glued up this reclaimed chest nut blank 2 years ago and it had cupped. Saturday I saw it and randomly started planning it and then cut this out. But it's not thick enough for a body so I need a top.
    IMG_4832.JPG
    So I saw this spalted maple top blank but forgot to measure how long it was. Opps too short, and terrible book match... I guess another double cut tele won't hurt anyone IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG

Nothing like stocking the shelves with 1/2 finished builds ;)

9. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    So then back to that wood pile, after a few hours I located a reclaimed piece of redwood. Nicely quartered/rifted sawn. Just wide enough for 2 tops and long enough for this body.
    IMG_4842.JPG
    Then I had my best re-saw so far, which I guess is about right since the maple went horribly wrong. This stuff cut nearly perfect which is good because I need at least .4 top but I got something like .55. IMG_4845.JPG
    Now that's an awesome top ! IMG_4846.JPG

Well after some debate I hollowed the chestnut back out. I'm debating a firebird like carve with sloped center rather than the 90 degree edge blocked center. Either way it will be super nice. Time to do some hogging out . . . IMG_4850.JPG
    Cut to shape and glue: IMG_4851.JPG

I kind of want to leave the bug holes (on both side) and not fill them.
    What do you think?
    I'm wondering what sort of challenges this would cause for finishing?

callasabra, 2blue2, nickhofen and 4 others like this.

10. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    So any thoughts on how obvious I should make nod towards the thunderbird firebird raised center design? It won't be blocked out like the raised center on a gibby firebird but I want some hint of it.
    Fbird.jpg IMG_4855.JPG
    They both have the same intended carving pattern the one on the left has the carve drawn out at 1/2 inch increments where the redwood one is 3/4 increments. It seems to me that keeping the center 1/4 of an inch above the rest of the carve would give it some of that look.

11. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    These are gonna look great! Just a thought, ...thin parallel inlays of redwood on the maple for the ledge look and vice versa on the redwood? That all. Rock out.

Arch Stanton and DrASATele like this.

12. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    You might be on to something there Cap! Can you elaborate on that a little? I'm picturing a wide variety of things.

13. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    image.jpeg

I was thinking something like this, but nice even and straight inlay.... A nod, to the shadow of the ledge.

14. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Ah, it is what I thought you were going for...indeed!

15. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I vote that you fill them in with epoxy or something.

They are very long, narrow, and gunk will get in the voids, and they have the possibility of catching on stuff.

DrASATele likes this.

16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, that’s exactly what I was thinking too.

You might tint the epoxy or add something to it to enhance... maybe metallic dust + a slight tint or something but then again, I might be going way down another rabbit hole with that idea...

DrASATele likes this.

17. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Yes, that is my exact concern. I think ultimately for a really nice finish I have to fill them.

I had a few minutes after work yesterday to get the control cavities routed. IMG_4856.JPG IMG_4857.JPG

Then I got the wounded bird's bottom rounded over . . . IMG_4858.JPG

I stacked them up to clean up and I noticed how much the roasted Ash kind looks like the old chestnut.
    IMG_4859.JPG
    I thought about CJ's idea for the pin stripes but I don't have enough scraps to make it happen and I'm not so sure how it would play out with a BRG stain. Which lead me to thinking about how I should finish the wounded T Bird. Yes, I'll be filling all the voids. I'm contemplating 2 things for the back barn yard red milk paint sanded back to see the grain or a red stain followed but red grain filler.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I like the look of the bug-holes, but understand the concern for gunkage and other problems. So, 1. Use black putty or something similar to maintain the look of just holes, or 2. Make jeweled scarabs or some kind of other bug to fill the holes with lurking insects, peeking out from the holes. Or not. Just a thought. They could even have laser eyes, that would be cool.

DrASATele likes this.

19. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I think clear or black is the way to go, other wise given the color of the wood it might look weird. I had thought about gold or bright yellow but that's probably to much.

Looking at the pics again probably black to match the wear/bug holes that are blackened on the back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.