Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Brainy memorial build: The Combined Tribute Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mbechmann, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Oh I almost forgot. I was looking at the strings for this thing. Thats when I found something. I found the knobs for another project (the headless Eagle bass). I didnt like the knobs on the other project, but I do like them on this one. I still need to lower them slightly.

What do you think? Right call?

IMAG1398.jpg

2. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Really a tough day.
    The green curse have hit. When I looked at the painted body parts in the daylight, I really did not like it. Turns out that the places I had slightly sanded through the bleaching... well when the green color had dried up it was VERY dark. It looked like puke...

So I sanded it all down again, and restarted the bleaching again. This also meant that I will miss the deadline... There is a very very very slim chance but I have to have it finished by tomorrow at 3PM. Thats the latest time I can ship it and still reach Sara in time.
    But I still have to bleach 1 side + paint it green + glue the whole thing together + give it all truoil + the electronics... So I will miss the deadline... :( :( :(

I did continue to build it. I drilled the tuner holes, shaped the neck, and sanded the whole thing in 40, 80, 120, 240, 320. I also drilled the hole the jack + got the nut ready. I also finished the bridge.

I also got ready to redo the white inlay. I need a little bit of input. White with burned sides or all black?

By the way. I did get a little bit of lucky. I somehow managed to shape the neck asymetric by accident. But man, I love that feel of the neck. Its perfect I think. As it turns out, my Daion bass (my number 1 bass) also has an asymetric neck. I just never realized it since most Daions have a normal neck :)

IMAG1401.jpg IMAG1402.jpg IMAG1403.jpg IMAG1404.jpg

2blue2 likes this.
  3. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    I failed. I didnt meet the deadline. The body decided to break my heart big time.

Before I get to that, I started the day by finishing the inlay. Actually I started with the side dots. I decided to go white - same as the dots - and to make is sharp, I wood burned the edge. The white "angle wings" I also wood burned.

With that done, I went back to the body. I had applied the bleach last night so I figured it was ready to go. It wasnt. It had a thin layer of the same white salt thing as chlorine had - not much but just slightly. So I washed that off. Thats when I noticed that the body had come apart. I think the bleaching have desolved the Titebond 3 I am using.

When I saw that, my heart dropped. I was ready to cry.

Thats where I am at right now. My heart is broken big time. I wont be able to meet the deadline.

IMAG1418.jpg IMAG1422.jpg IMAG1412.jpg IMAG1413.jpg IMAG1414.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Brother, you have given it a good effort, but I think it's time to move in another direction. This bleaching thing has been a hassle since the beginning, right? Make a new plan and move forward. You can do it.

GracefulBrick likes this.
  6. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Be at peace Mike. You gave it a good go...nobody questions the effort here.

Regroup, have a beer, and stare at parts for a bit. Heck, this is what I do when things go right!

Do you have Cheez-Its over there? Have some of those too.

7. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    The bleaching thing have been a hassle, but I am also very stuborn. The way I see it, is that if it was easy, everybody would do it. So just like any other skill, I "just" have to learn it. But yes, it has been a hassle big time.

That being said, I may actually scrap this body and build a completely new one. I may also finish this one after sorting it out. I dont know yet...

Had to google Cheez-Its. I didnt know what that was :) We dont have that here, but I did find some ice cream and chips :) I needed that.

After talking to Sara tonight, she mentioned that this was very typical with Andy's builds. Thats true but I still feel like I let her down - and let this event down. Thats the thing that makes me sad...

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hey Mike,
    This is all thematically according to plan. Andy seldom went less than four refinishes. Go with it, you're doing the right thing.
    Rob

GracefulBrick likes this.
  9. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Yea I know. It does tie things together... Andy's green instrument and mine... but its just painful right now.

Today I am feeling a bit better. It has been a tough nut to swollow but at the end of the day, I know it will still do good.

I have also been thinking on what I would do if I was to redesign the body. One of the things I am thinking is that I might see if I can find a nice piece of maple, ash or something like that, for the top. The reason for this is that the mahogany does show signs of stress. So I am thinking that I might change it up a bit finding a harder/stronger type of wood that Andy also liked to use.

The neck part is almost done. I just need to sand the inlay down and give it truoil. Than that is done.

Barncaster likes this.
  10. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

The back of that neck is so killar!

I think with that warp the bpdys a goner, So I vote burned all black to ashes.:(

Come on there is still a couple of days before 2036;) YOU CAN STILL DO IT!!

Mbechmann, Mat UK and Barncaster like this.
  11. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Update time.

2blue2, I think you are right. It kills me to say it, but the warp makes these bodies a gonna. I could try and save it for a later project but its not worth it for this project. I would rather do it right than try and save something that not possible to save.

So today I picked up a nice sweet piece of maple. So I am gonna make the body out of maple. Solid body instead of hollow body.

I cut out most of the body, but apparently you cant use all the machines in the house at the same time :) :) :) I was visiting my parents and my mom was cooking food at the same time :) I had moved my jig saw up to my house - and my bandsaw suddenly cut out.

IMAG1433.jpg IMAG1439.jpg IMAG1442.jpg

2blue2 likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You did not let anybody down. Sara's gallery is going to be open now, and I'm sure she'll appreciate getting your project when ever you complete it. Not making the "deadline" is certainly consistent with Andy's experiences--it's disappointing, but not the end of the world, and option 2 is also very important, so get it done as you best can. I think you'd be wise to put the bleached body away for a while, and concentrate on the new maple; the 6-pack build is looming!!

Did your bandsaw blow a fuse or circuit breaker while your Mom was cooking? Must have been wired into the same circuit, is my guess. I've had to rewire my shop 2 times now as I add new toys--some of them draw a pretty big slug of power.

GracefulBrick and DrASATele like this.
  13. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    I think the person I disappointed the most is actually myself. It was Andy's style, but its still not something I like. But it is what it is. There was no way I was gonna make it when the body desided to warp and split. I will be happy when I see the final result. That I do know. I also know that the green is gonna look brilliant on maple.

The bleached body is being used as a template right now. But thats it. I am not gonna use that at all. I am switching to the maple :).

I blew a fuse with the bandsaw. Turns out that the oven + the washing machine + the dryer was all running at the same time on the same circut as the bandsaw :). 16 amp, and it blew straight through it :) It was the first time I have blown a fuse so now I just need to be aware that and it will be all good :).

I am hoping to be able to finish it this week or next week. Than I will focus on the 6 monsters ahead :)

mPacT likes this.
  14. GracefulBrick

GracefulBrick Tele-Meister

Oct 7, 2012
    Suffolk UK
    I've already had STERN BUT LOVING WORDS with Michael, that no one feels let down let alone me, but it's worth just publicly saying I'm properly and genuinely honoured and grateful for anything Andy's memory can do to help my foundation and the others I support... I in NO way intend for last week's auction/raffle to be my last one. I will be holding that event every January for as long as I can, to aid the Suicide bereavement charity. I also have events all through the year. As a day I organise a music festival, and I hope hope hope to be able to sell tickets to michaels guitar there. Also the space guitar if I get her finished (with Jeff's help) and other various guitar things. Guitars are a part of my life now. I fully intend to build my own from scratch, first going through the bodies I've already got. If friends can be soul mates, that's what Andy was to me. I am adopting his love, forever supporting those who are bereaved, growing in my woodworking skills, and will always use guitars to help me raise money in his name.

I think what your making is gorgeous. What will be will be... and I'm a firm believer in throwing your hands up in the air and saying SCREW IT! and starting over. So was Andy. Maybe he's teaching you lessons too. Xxxxxx

R. Stratenstein and Outcaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.