Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brainy Memorial Build – A Long, Slow, Comfortable Fumble Around In The Dark

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Reckless Rat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Barncaster likes this.

2. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    So, I put some strings on this thing today. First, a couple of quick pictures (because Rick gets crabby if he doesn't have stuff to look at :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Scuse hairy strings, but there's still a bit of work needed. I'd really like to get the bridge a bit lower, so I will have to spend some time sanding the pads down a bit (but I sort of knew that, anyway).

How does it sound? HOLY COW THIS THING IS LOUD! Compared to the usual solid-body plink when played acoustically, this is like Brian Blessed. Big, boomy notes with quite a bit of sustain. I'll give it a while to settle down, but I'm starting to wonder if I need the pickups at all...

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain
    Oh my is that sweet. IMHO you really do need a gold foil in the neck position on this one!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Brian Blessed! I really hope non brits can appreciate the gravitas of that comparison...

Looks beautiful, really like the continuation of the centre strip from headstock to body.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    That is a thing of beauty.... except for the Brian Blessed image!!!

7. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Cheers, guys, really pleased with it so far but a bit intimidated by the sound.

And, as you'd expect with such a lightened body there's a bit of neck-
    [​IMG]

(Sorry)

8. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Hey now, hep cat, hand me ma...

[​IMG]

:lol:

A lot of fiddling around for 'just' a truss rod cover.

Trued up the edges of some scrap with the plane and then sliced it up on the bandsaw. Glued up the trued edges and allowed to dry, then thicknessed on the router sled. Drew the bullet shape about there with the curve of my whale-shaped scraper, cut on the bandsaw using a scrap piece of 9mm ply as backing so that the saw cut properly. Sanded to shape, rounded over the edges, sanded the back edge to match the headstock angle. Finish sanded, tru-oiled, tru-oiled, tru-oiled, flat-sanded, screw hole and countersink, thinned tru-oil, Mod Podge logo transfer, clean up, tru-oil, mark and drill headstock, wax screw threads, AND.................. actually put the b****y thing on!

And relax.

Then on to the next job

Mbechmann, RogerC and Barncaster like this.

9. Raoul

Raoul TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Dec 16, 2016
    CO
    Ruh-roh, it's the Rat Rod! (Scooby Doo, for the Brian Blessed familiar....)

Sweet details!

10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Looking very nice. So when do you introduce the pickup to us?

Barncaster likes this.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Thanks for the pix, Ratty! So you've built a thinline Dreadnaught. Who woulda thunk that?

And it's O.K. You can say bloody, it's not dirty over here. Come to think of it, that's a cracking good guitar you've built, and a bloody nice truss rod cover.

I expect a big, fat-wound, heavy humbucker back by the bridge would help a lot with the neck dive, as would some pots and that DeArmond gold foil neck unit. **

Your tribute is doing Andy proud, I know he'd really enjoy it.

**or a bloody big lead weight.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Isn't that the truth. Looking great and yes it looks like something Andy would be all over. Great job and clean work as always!

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain
    Hmmmmmm, a very nice dead Silver Foil just arrived in the mail. One of Harry's creations would sure look nice there....
    View attachment 413254

14. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Zoinks! Quick, Scoob! To the Rat Rod!

Sorry, Rick, it might have to be the blood big lead weight because although...

Meet the pickup. Let's call him Neville.

[​IMG]

He's an Artec jazz humbucker, chosen a while back on the grounds that he would almost certainly fit and that given the big, empty wooden box underneath it I would probably need the humbucking element over a single coil. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions (and a kind offer from Rob), but despite a LOT of thinking in recent weeks I still think this is best suited for what I want. Maybe the next one...

Yesterday's task was to make a little nest for Neville, which you can see here. Made from various pieces of scrap (including cutoffs from the truss rod cover - waste not, want not), the bits were cut with the fret slotting saw, glued up, and rounded over on top with sandpaper. It seemed to be quite a lot of fiddling around, but I got there in the end and it's a very snug fit.

Yesterday turned into a bit of a big day, because while I was waiting for various stages of things to dry, (look out, roll call!)
    • Got my Stirling engine (hot air engine) going after a couple of years on the shelf
    • Fixed a work colleague's watch
    • Bought a tool chest for the garage and cleaned up so I could actually put tools in it
    • Made a late decision to do the coving in the stairwell while the lovely Mrs. Rat is away
    • Did some preliminary caulking on the biggest gaps on said coving (the joys of wobbly ceilings), and
    • Bought a new curtain rod while I have the ladders up there
    After all that, I was thoroughly shagged out.

Cheers, Ricky. Something I mentioned all the way back on page 1 of this thread is that I admired Andy for being willing to talk about the things that went wrong in his builds as well as everything that went right. With that in mind, on to this morning's adventures...

So, an early-ish start because the cats want their breakfast and the bozos over the road building an extension on their house started with the power tools and hammer drills at 0730. Yes, on a Sunday. Thrilled.

Urgh.

So,
    Step 1 - Mount the pickup nest. Located, drilled, and... stripped a **** screw head. After a lot of messing around, I did manage to get it out without damaging anything. Take II. No problems this time.
    Step 2 - Drill for pickup wire
    Step 3 - Wire pickup to the endpin jack. Yes, no pots or other flummery on this one, straight to the output. Pull wire through to F-hole, measure distance to the end pin, cut, solder to the jack.
    Step 4 - Realise I've forgotten to put the screw cap on the jack. Unsolder wires, insert cap, resolder.
    Step 5 - Fiddle around working out the depth required for the internal retaining nut on the endpin jack. Adjust nut, screw cap on to lock in place.
    Step 6 - Run a length of fishing line through the endpin hole, tie to the jack, pull through
    Step 7 - Realise that I've cut the wire about 1cm too short.
    Step 8 - Swear copiously.
    Step 9 - Unsolder the jack, think about soldering some of the trimmed off bit back on, then give up, cut it shorter, and solder on some new wires. Heatshrink the joins.
    Step 10 - Solder the new wires to the jack
    Step 11 - Realise I've forgotten to put the screw cap on the jack.
    Step 12 - Swear copiously. Deep breath
    Step 13 - Unsolder wires, insert cap, resolder.
    Step 14 - Run a length of fishing line through the endpin hole, tie to the jack, pull through
    Step 15 - Tighten up the nut. Realise that I've set the internal nut about 0.5mm too long.
    Step 16 - Swear copiously. Deep breath. Tea and Kittens.
    Step 17 - Undo the nut, tie on fishing wire, pull it back out the F-hole, adjust internal nut and screw cap.
    Step 18 - Pull the jack back through.
    Step 19 - Tighten up the nut and put the strap button that covers the nut on.
    Step 20 - Plug into the amp. Turn everything up. BOI-OI-Oi-OI-OI-OINGGGGGGG!

At that point, I adjourned to do the finish caulking on the coving and put up the new curtain pole.

Fortified myself with a pint of water and an egg banjo.

Outside to take a few shots. The light is pretty ordinary and I will try to get some proper glamour shots sorted out at some point, but you get the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Awwww perfect. The pickup looks like it found his calling. Blends neatly in. Now lets piezoarize that bridge :)

Barncaster and Mbechmann like this.

16. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    +1. Stunning guitar you have build there. I like everything about it.... especially with a piezo pickup on the bridge as well :) :) :)

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Nigel Nesting in his Nook that you kNocked up for him is a Noticeable Nicety, and I for one kNow I will be kNocked out when the video premNieres. (Sorry, I had to strain a bit at the end there). Oh, wait a minute, it's Not Nigel, it's Neville who's nesting in the nook, or nooking in the nest, or something.

But no doubt your saga of trial and tribulations has produced sonic excellence, which we will soon hear, in the video/sound clip you will produce when you stop frittering your time away on Stirling engines and fixing your house. Wasteful of time, and you'll burn your fingers on that Stirling, and worst of all, should the Lovely Mrs. Stratenstein get wind of your over-zealousness, she will tumble to the fact of what a lout and layabout I am, condemning me to involuntary servitude with house-tools, and-God forbid-a shovel.

Oh, yes, Tea and Kittens is nice and cute, but here's where I go when I need a lift:

https://despair.com/collections/demotivators

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Bristlehound likes this.

18. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks, guys. As for the peizo, let me put it this way - that is a stereo jack I have there ;)

Rather than torture you with my eclectic stylings, I will see if I can get my mate Rog to give it a demo. He's definitely keen to hear this one, too!

My Stirling engine is gloriously pointless. I could watch it running all day. It's this one here, although obviously theirs is a lot shinier than mine, these days. One day I'll strip it down and give it a good polish again

Does my Böhm look big in this?

Re: stealth renovations. When she's away is often a good chance to do otherwise-obnoxious things like leave ladders up in the stairway. The question is, will she actually notice when she gets back? When we first moved into this place we had to rip a bunch of cupboards out of the bedroom. This meant that we had an entire wall behind the bed covered with screw holes, several different colours of paint, etc. etc. After about a year, she went away for a week which meant I could move the bed around, make good and paint, fill in some plaster damage, and so on. It was three weeks after she got back before she realised that something was different. :D

Oh, and it's not just me. A month or so back she wanted to get a print to hang upstairs, and had trouble choosing between two of them. In the end, she made her decision and I had the task of hanging it. No big deal. I got home the other day to see that the other painting has now appeared on the lounge wall. She said nothing about it, so I'm pretending not to have noticed.

Ah, the fun and japes of married life! :lol:

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Beautiful guitar. Nice job.

I thought Tea & Kittens was a mid-day snack.

Barncaster and wtk0315 like this.

20. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I read this like you are coming around on the piezo :)

Barncaster likes this.

21. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    That is a completely wonderful Stirling.

Years ago I bought a ridiculously small cheap lathe at Harbor Freight, which no doubt you've heard mentioned here on the forum, otherwise known as Cheap China Tools, Ltd. My express purpose was to make neat little gadgets like your Stirling, small brass cannons, and other fun projects.

Turns out I've forgotten everything I ever learned in metal shop class, don't really have the tooling nor know of a source for the right metals, and lack the time to make up for all this, so no Sterlings, cannons, or other neat stuff.

I might have to give stealth renovations a try. The lovely and resourceful Mrs. Stratenstein feels it necessary to provide close adult supervision and ongoing critique for most projects that affect HER house, which sometimes erupts into screeching kittens and cracked teacups.

And unlike the lovely Mrs. Rat, every disturbed molecule of house is immediately noted, inspected, and the subject of a full enquiry worthy of Scotland Yard, with moi in the chair under the hot lights to splain myself.

And don't think you'll get off with lame excuses like, "well dear, if that pipe wasn't in the wall you want moved six inches to the left, the toilet would flush right onto the kitchen ceiling, you see." NO, we do not see, and who is the imbecile who put the pipe in a wall that any fool could see might someday want moving?

Eclectic stylings actually sound interesting, I'm sure you're better than you let on. Everyone is --except me, of course. But if Rog can be persuaded to demonstrate his superior stylings, by all means.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.