Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brainy Memorial Build – A Long, Slow, Comfortable Fumble Around In The Dark

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Reckless Rat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Scott McCray

Scott McCray Tele-Meister

Love the mosaic pin idea - just took a look around on Etsy (I know, I know) and saw some very cool designs. 10-Q beddy mush.

2. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    So, minor update.

Chris from CH Guitars sent through the correct replacement tuner. Top bloke. Go buy his stuff.

The Beer Lever is now attached at the rear of the body with 1" screws into the ash end block. That shouldn't move.

The brass rod arrived in this morning's post so she now has side dots.

I cleaned up and waxed the bed of a little toggle press I rescued some years ago and used it to put the frets in last night, using my new fret pressing caul (I already had the inserts, meant to build a caul, then never got around to it, finally just bought one. Dur.). This part of the operation was good, however...

The neck is 44mm at the nut and I bought a set of 24 pre-cut and radiused frets from 44mm - 60mm. I lined them all up by size and messed around with the first one for a while, then conceded that it was probably a fraction too short. No worries, I'll use the next one and go from there. And so I progressed merrily along until about the 16th fret when I realised that I wasn't going to have enough frets to get to the end. Yes, folks, I'd bought a set of 22 frets, not 24, so I am 1 short. So I've ordered some more.

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous.

I did get the frets ends all trimmed flush and rounded over, though, but I’m going to have to wait to finish that last one (and build a 21-fret neck at some point).

Arch Stanton likes this.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Hmm, all the potential visual interest, and here my computer's not showing any of the many pictures I'm sure you must have posted. (raised eyebrows).

You cold be resourceful and beat the remainder of the brass rod into fret wire, plate it, and finish the fretboard. Course, you would have to cut the frets to length, and there's danger of an error there.

4. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Dots, Rick? I'd struggle to make dots look interesting. It's fair to say that they're there and dot-shaped.

The fret thing really ticked me off, because the end - or at least, major progress - is in sight, and now I'm going to be waiting on the postie again. Oh well. Once I get this last fret in and tamed, I can glue the neck in and then it's a real, tangible guitar.

I am wondering again about pickups for this thing. Originally, the idea was for a single neck pickup ("The Rhythm Box"), but I'm starting to wonder if I should do more.

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks for plugging - I've never come across this site before, such a good resource for parts

6. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    I think the separate store is relatively new. He was originally on Ebay (and still is) and I think he has since opened a web store and a small physical shop in Newcastle.

I have a small set of sellers on Ebay/the web that I tend to use by preference - this guy, Vanson, and of course Northhwest Guitars are probably the main ones, but I notice that I tend to buy the same sorts of things from the same sellers. If they sell nice stuff, I try to remember and use them again (See also the Tonewood Man on page 7 for fretboards).

StewMac would be nice, but the postage & import from the US is getting expensive these days. Or I'm just cheap :lol:

Mat UK likes this.

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Just pulling your leg, Mr. Rattus. I always like lots of pictures, probably because of low IQ or something.o_O:p

It seems to me that StewMac and perhaps other Luthier suppliers are missing out on a very large slice of the worldwide business potential by not having local operations, or agents, or however it's done to keep prices and shipping reasonable, in the U.K. and Australia/New Zealand. But it's good that small businesses are filling in the gaps--Chris' website looks quite good.

And without any real rhyme or reason, I've always thought an electric guitar should have 2 pickups. 1pickup limits your options, and 3 or more pickups crowds the front of the guitar offering no real additional benefit (except for Strats, of course, it is my belief that you must have the middle pickup for quack, and if you need quack in your music, you must use a Strat or clone. Making other guitars quack is just wrong. ) Therefore, this beauty should have 2 pickups, carefully wound in your shop. With pictures.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

8. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    I can confirm that the dotified dotiliciousness of the dots remains undimmed, although the dot definer remains somewhat... dotty.

The pickup thing has been largely defined by the total lack of a plan. There was a loose intention to have a single p90 at the neck depending on clearances, and that's still a little unclear. I would prefer to surface-mount and not have to route (and can't after I glue the neck in), and there isn't anything under the bridge area to mount a pickup to anyway. Again, vague thoughts of maybe a piezo built into the bridge, possibly, depending. I have a little neck-mounted humbucker that I could use, or Wilkinson do something very similar in a p90 sized mount that could be a bit more flexible. Possibly.

In short, this... is uncertain. Life's like that. To sum up, in the sagacious words of Mr. R. Atkinson: "My life certainly has a certain uncertainty about it. And I'm certain yours does too. So with my uncertainty and your uncertainty there's certainly a certain degree of uncertainty about, of that we can be... quite sure."

9. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well, it seems the beer lever will accommodate the high bridge, and you're (or were) planning on angling the neck, so's it looks to me like you could squeeze in a pair of P-90's in there-always a good choice. I love dog-ears, but think soapbars would look better on this guitar, or your little neck humbucker might be interesting along with a P-90, or, there are certainly a lot of choices, aren't there?

I'm sure piezos are interesting, but as the result of a piezo structural stress sensor failure a while back, in my day job, which could have resulted in a high-rise full of old people getting an unscheduled tour of one of Atlanta's mass-transit tunnels, I don't trust piezo any things anymore. Just me, I'm sure they're fine.

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Rick,
    As far as electric guitar pickups for tight squeezes, nothing IMHO can touch one of Harry DeArmond's foil pups. One surface mount on the neck for this build would be sweet. Add a little gain and they become sublime.
    Rob

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Great idea, Rob. You want to tell Ratty or shall I? :p How would he go about acquiring said pickup as reasonably as possible?

12. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK

13. Barncaster

I'll tell Mr. Yeknom to put the word in the trees! I'm sure the nuts will start dropping soon......

14. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Wait for it, wait for it...

[​IMG]

Arch Stanton likes this.

15. Barncaster

16. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think your cat wants out.

He's probably done something sneaky and cat-like to your guitar and doesn't want to be there when you discover it. Cats are like that.

Tnilc likes this.

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    :cool::cool::cool:

Ohhh, I'm pretty sure you can find 'em. The question is can you stand the price and/or the shipping?

But stand by, word is some nuts will start falling. This is good, because I usually ruin 2 or 3 every time I build a guitar, and need a new supply.

18. Reckless Rat

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    He was helping. He's very good at helping, but he tends to lose interest when its photo time.

Because this is the internet and the internet is for cat pictures, here's one of the junior feline helping earlier in the build

[​IMG]

This really is 'the big one'. My first glue-in neck and it's now absolutely irreversible, i.e. I'm stuck with the angles, etc.. I did set up the nut and bridge with some thread and concluded that everything was straight and I had about 3mm between the threads and the top of the 21st fret. I've still got a little to take off the bottom of the bridge, so I'm hoping it will be all right - just about - probably - I hope. Then I can put some strings on it and ding-a-ding-dang on my dang-a-long-ling-long

lbridenstine, Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

19. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Was the point of that video to not understand one word of what he was "singing"??o_Oo_Oo_O

LeftFinger likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.