Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brainy Memorial Assortment of Miscellaneous Projects

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jimdkc, Aug 1, 2016.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    There are a lot of sensors that claim 10 cm resolution, which seems amazing. But you have to hook up the power supply, output circuitry, LED or LCD or whatever display you want to use. And from what I can tell, they are basically little barometers--air pressure sensors, so I would think much depends on how well you calibrate the thing, and interpret the data.

2. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I've built several two transistor fuzz boxes - avoid high gain transistors. 2N2222 works great for a silicon Fuzz Face circuit, 2N3906 or 2N3904 are too gainy.

3. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO
    I just did a quick Google search and came up with 20-30cm sensors... But, yes... It's really just a matter of knowing how to power the sensor and what to do with the output. Same thing for almost any kind of sensor.

I really kind of lucked out with the Hall effect sensor I chose for this project that I could get what I wanted out of it with just a few simple voltage divider circuits!

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    OK - how 'bout x-ray glasses? The ones I bought when I was 10 didn't work.

5. jimdkc

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO
    Wait... The ones from the comic books? They don't work???

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I see London I see France I see Nosmo's......... Mine work..

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I opted for the whoopee cushion instead of the X-Ray glasses. It worked great!

Lo tech, low-brow. But oh so funny.

8. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Comic books, Yes!
    I got sea monkeys but turned to be brine shrimp.
    One of three salt lake exports from Utah, brine shrimp as monkeys, brine shrimp as fish food and salt

th-22.jpeg

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    OK - X-ray glasses & super accurate altimeters are apparently beyond your ability envelope.

SO..........since you are my favorite electronics guru, perhaps you could design & source the parts for a better way to wire our guitars. I'm talking pot grounding lugs (there was some talk of these in another thread), terminal strips, fancy connectors, etc. Plug & play stuff. You could revolutionize the way guitars are wired.

I might even give you credit when I steal your ideas.

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

EMG and Seymour have been using push connectors for quite a while. Even Gibson is getting in the game with circuit board mounted pots! What is the world coming to????

DrASATele likes this.

11. jimdkc

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO

12. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    True dat. Never mind.

13. Barncaster

Er.... Um....... Uh.......

BluesBlooded likes this.

14. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Harumpf! I knew it was a stupid idea from the start. You have to do it the old way or it's never any good.

15. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Geeez, I was just making sure Jim was paying attention.

Tough crowd.

16. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Being between two moves and shopless, the only thing I can do that do not take too much space is electronic. So now is a great time to build this gauss meter.

Since this gauss meter being shared by Jim is a memorial to Brainy, I thought it would be appropriate to build it into a pedal enclosure. Andy was into building pedals before he started building guitars.

My plan is to replace the trimpot by a pot and put the hall sensor effect at the end of a guitar cable that will plug into the pedal enclosure. On the other side, another guitar jack will be used to send the signal to the multimeter.

I also wanted a clever decal, something that would make Andy chuckle. I asked help from the my friends Barncaster, R. Stratenstein and Jupiter. With their input I came up with this design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was the easy part. For me at least.

I adapted Jim's design to a vero board

Here's Jim schematic

[​IMG]

Here's my layout

[​IMG]

Being confident, I built the board and put into the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also built the probe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything looks good, but it does not work. My monkey see monkey do abilities have hit a wall.

For the last three days, I've been going over every single part of the circuit trying to figure out what is wrong without any luck.

I read again and again this thread, building the circuit in steps exactly how Jim explained it reading at the same time about voltage dividers to try to understand instead of copying something.

Here is my prototype board

[​IMG]

It looks like it is working. So my probe is not the issue.

I do not have a pickup magnet on hand. But a fridge magnet makes the meter move from 0v to 390mv so 390 gauss seems reasonable for a fridge magnet.

Now that I understood more about the circuit, I checked my layout again and found that I inverted the + and - that goes from the board to the DMM, which in my mind would make no difference other than indicating the wrong polarity.

So what is wrong with the buit? Well for starters, the pot does nothing. When I turn it the voltage on the DMM does not change.

When I get the fridge magnet on the sensor, the DMM does move but not a lot compared to the prototype.

I took some voltage reading along the circuit

[​IMG]

The pencil readings are from the prototype board. The blue ink readings are from my pedal.

As you can see differences starts to occur at the first voltage divider.

Voltage readings on the prototype trimpot varies from .79v to 3.97v. while voltage readings on the pedal pot is static at 2.48v. I suspected a bad pot, So I removed it from the circuit. BTW the pot is a 1k while the trimpot is a 2k. When I connected the two 510ohm resistor together, the current was divided accordingly to half its input value. I inserted a 2k pot in the circuit and again, no changes. So the pot is good. I even checked the 1K pot resistance and it varies from 0k to 1k so it's fine.

I wished I could sort it out all by myself, but it looks like I need your eyes to tell me where I'm going wrong.

17. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I forgot to mention that I also insulated the jacks because they were grounded on the chassis. Now that portion is fixed.

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think I'd call it a rousing success since the pilot light works. I'd wire it up with a transformer so it'll be on all the time, and put it on the mantle in the living room! Mrs S might see things differently, though.

Barncaster likes this.

20. Barncaster

Calling Jim, come in Jim, over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.