Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Brad Paisley Tele Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by horax, Jul 20, 2017.

1. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    Mine are right, right, left. So the second and third saddles are backwards to the one pictured, but I'm not having the issue. Weird.

2. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Thanks, It's funny... On the Fender site the pictured guitar is different, all on one side.

I'm an engineer which means, I look at everything and wonder if I could improve it in some way.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...-paisley-road-worn-telecaster/0145902317.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.

3. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2013
    Dirty Jersey
    7AAC416A-1739-4196-AC91-8B084101E4A5.jpeg Problem solved

horax and Tonewolf like this.

4. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I’d love to try one of these out. Do they sell them outside of USA? Haven’t seen one in real life yet.

5. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

6. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    If I were you, I would call the Fender customer support line and see if you could get one shipped to you or your local dealer. Sight unseen, It's an excellent guitar. They could probably do a pre-check for you to make sure everything works as it should

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    horax and Southpole like this.

7. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2013
    Dirty Jersey
    It’s very good ,problem I had was the string spacing fell right on top of slice of the moving part of saddles. Its really fun to play now that it is all sorted out.

8. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    Back to the bridge issue mentioned above. I found the documentation provided by Fender for this model and it has the saddles just like the one pictured earlier. Again, my second and third saddle are backwards but I'm not having issues. Just an interesting observation. I've had almost all my guitars professionally set up but for this one, I just left it alone, as it feels good from the start.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 11.12.56 PM.png

9. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Hmm... The way the diagram looks, there is a forward and reverse orientation of each movable "Slide" also. I imagine that if reversed you could get an uneven string vibration, buzz or even a sitar type of vibration if the angle allows the string to intermittently contact the saddle at more than one spot.

10. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Can someone tell me more about those saddles?
    What are they called? Is there a special name for 'em?
    I dunno how, but in reading all about the BPRW Teles, for months, I missed the part about the saddles! -Or did they debut on RW Teles way back, and now are the rule for 3-saddle look bridges?

They seem like a very special/odd design, ... sorta filling a niche that didn't exist.... I mean, there's plenty of folks that'd give a LOT just to have an old fashioned 3 saddle vintage Tele - and never even fuss about the less-than-perfect intonationalism.
    And then, there's the SEVERAL already popular and accepted compensated versions...
    THESE things.... with the extra machining, the extra moving parts, the extra screws.... I'da thought we would've had several long threads dedicated just to this nutty design!
    They don't look easy to adjust...
    They do look like they've lost the simplicity that many of us love in Tele trappings...
    And... they apparently encourage string spacing and sticking where & how ya might not want it....
    What the heck!?
    Once again, Please help educate me?

11. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I just wish they'd have left them as standard brass saddles instead of all the fanciness.
    This guitar is built as a conglomerate of a few of Brad's guitars...why go with a new fangled bridge if
    everything else is after a 64, 52, et al?

12. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Well, I think if it were up to Brad, there would be "Other name brand" saddles on there. I have seen a few of his guitars that have what I think are Callaham saddles on them. The thing is Fender can assuredly put these on for a fraction of the cost. They were trying to get better intonation on this model, like on Brad's guitars. They adjust quickly allowing for less labor time on the setup. Then there is the idea that another company might have a superior product to what Fender has in their arsenal. They ARE easy to adjust. I do find that the strings slide a bit and the string spacing on mine keeps slightly changing. I will eventually put 3 notched compensated brass saddles on mine just to keep the string spacing from changing.

This is a minor issue though with a fantastic guitar. I'm thankful to Brad and Fender for working together on the pickups, wood type, neck shape and whatever else went into this model. I can't fault the guitar for a $40ish set of replacement saddles. I do enjoy when intonation pretty close to perfect. My only issue now is figuring out which set of replacement saddles I like. I actually don't want to change the tone of my guitar at all. This is the first guitar in a long time where I think I will keep using the 9-42 Fender strings that came on it.

horax and AJ Love like this.

13. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    I don't see an pics but Fender models made in their factories. Where are the Bill Crooks that were made like the early ones he built for Brad ? That's what I had long ago and it was not a Fender factory ordinary relic job.

14. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    I'm with you on the string gauge. I run 10's on my other 3 telecasters. I decided to keep the 9's because I really like it the way it is. I actually went with the 9-46 so they are a little more heavy on the top. Kept the same feel.

I will say, the neck is getting some interesting wear. I like it, as it has only been less than 4 months and it's looking nice and worn. The other Tele maple necks of mine for comparison are 6-9 years old and have barely shown any wear. I really like what they did with the BP Tele.

IMG_4149.jpg IMG_4151.jpg IMG_4152.jpg

Tonewolf and tery like this.

15. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    It's not "wear" or natural, high-speed relicing.
    Have you tried cleaning your fretboard with naptha, or rags and some other cleaner?
    It's some kind of filth that accumulates on this particular guitar
    because of some peculiar "finish" products that are on it.
    It comes right off.
    Notice the gray areas are in the opposite areas from where finger divots would occur (IF the fingerboard was made of unfinished balsa or something, and was going to wear out in a couple months...)
    This nonsense goes along with the stickiness and smell that many have complained of...

AJ Love likes this.

16. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2013
    Dirty Jersey
    DFAB62D9-78FD-42FE-9A3A-A66422C02145.jpeg My mods are all done time to play the shi* out of it.

horax and Tonewolf like this.

17. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    I wonder what a black or red sparkle pickguard would look like on this guitar... Sparkle is growing on me ;)

horax likes this.

18. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 23, 2008
    Charleston, WV
    How's about gold sparkle? This is growing on me. I didn't like it when I first did it.

Attached Files:

19. Tonewolf

Tonewolf TDPRI Member

May 7, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Gold... Not really my thing, but I don't even like gold hardware on a guitar. Come to think about it gold jewelry isn't really for me. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

20. music4ever

music4ever Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2008
    Finland
    OK; Count me in this club!
    I've been a happy owner of this gorgeous guitar for around two months now, and enjoying every second playing her!
    Although there were some struggle before she arrived. I ordered online and the delivery was delayed a couple of times, but I got finally her early November.

A very light and resonant and great sounding guitar. And despite the weight it is not neck heavy at all, so I guess the neck even as chunky as it is, it must be very light too.
    I didn´t do the setup until this past weekend, since she played well from the start, just some minor intonation adjustments. I waited for the guitar to acclimate to the weather conditions here up in Northern Europe before I did any heavy tweaking.

This weekend I took off the strings and polished the neck, which wasn't as sticky as some other owners here have reported. I did hesitate a bit, before putting on my favourite 10-46 D´Addario EXL110 strings, since she sounded and played great with the 09-42 that she cam with, but so far so good.

A couple of things though that I want to mention and maybe get some help with from you guys here:

I noticed that there was no info what so ever regarding how to adjust and fine-tune the movable intonating saddles. So I haven't even tried to do anything at this point. I am considering replacing them with Gotoh In Tune Compensated brass saddles.

Another issue that also been discussed here is that the saddles are very high, so I am also considering the need of a neck shim, and that is something I've never done before, so I will try to find some info and help here on TDPRI and on the interweb for some help and guidance. There is maybe another option to this "problem" and that would be to swap the original Fender Vintage bridge to another (Gotoh?) which might be thicker and that way compensate for the neck height / angle. I've tried to find info about how thick these bridges are, but so far without any luck.

And finally: I did notice that my guitar doesn't have very much checking on the body, compared to the others I've seen, at least judging from other pics posted both here and on other sites. I did order as I mentioned online, so I couldn't see nor play this otherwise beautiful instrument beforehand, but in my opinion the checking on the silver sparkle finish looks great. bBQpJ6zgQees6OW2ujxeVQ.jpg

Some checking here around the strap button, other than that not so much.

ckBofgNZQOmoKgZ9JcIt2g.jpg

And here is the front and no checking there.

VnUcrtDWRbWMmsvC1KxD1w.jpg

And this is how the bridge looks after the setup.

Tonewolf and tery like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.