Boz Scaggs in the 21st century

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by archetype, May 1, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been listening to Boz Scaggs since about 1970. Some things I like, some things I care less for, but he's consistently tasteful and unique. He's always thrown Memphis-style R&B, blues, gospel, and country into the blender and poured out his own, unique thing. Even his so-called "disco" music was just one of his own well-honed styles, but with the backbeat on the hi-hat instead of the snare and repeating riffs on the flute instead of his usual guitar, organ, or horns. He turned his thing into dance pop and the market called it "disco." IMO he doesn't have a wide vocal range, but his singing fits his music perfectly. I've been cruising YouTube and came up with three songs that I think should be heard. The first two are from his Memphis album and the last is from Dig.

Cadilac Walk

This is originally a Moon Martin song, later covered by Willy DeVille. Those are great, but I think the Scaggs treatment is best. Slower than the original and contains only what's essential. Extra points for fat tone and tremolo.

Mixed Up Shook Up Girl
    A Willy DeVille song that's slowed down and reduced to the basics. Extra, extra points for fat tone and tremolo.

I Just Go
    Slow, very slow, songs are dangerous for the musician. They have to stand on their own as compelling works without needing a faster pace or anything flashy to support them. IMO this is as good as it gets. It's stripped-down honesty without a single extraneous note. It brings me to the edge of tears.

There's a 5-minute documentary about the making of the Memphis album. WELL worth watching. It's about going to Memphis, TN to a small studio where the old-school R&B players were and the studio was already dialed in for the kind of music they'd been producing for decades. Boz's comment, basically, was why go to New York, Nashville, or LA and try to create the vibe when we can go to where the vibe already is.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Boz has been great since his days with Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth. Soulful, never overdone vocals, and a pretty good guitarist, to boot. And his "Loan Me A Dime" featured one of Duane Allman's finest performances.
    Plus, I have heard that he's a good guy and ap generous bandleader.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I was a fan of Boz Scaffs from the time of the Steve Miller album ‘Sailor’.....still one of my favorites. His Muscle Schoals album with .Duanne Allan on guitar is essential Boz Scaggs,imho.

dan1952 and Paul in Colorado like this.
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I’ll be long gone by the time you make up your mind....

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I liked him in his pre-Silk Degrees era and then got to see him at the Greek Theater in L.A. on the Silk Degrees tour. Mary Wells opened for him. Great show. Glad to see he's still at it.

6. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Boz seems to be a Willy DeVille fan. I am too. RIP Willy.

elihu likes this.
  7. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Willy's version of Cadillac walk is by far my favorite.

elihu likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Boz is certainly one of the most tasteful writers & players. Despite that, I don't think I have ever heard a club band cover any of his songs.

9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Years ago, lots of bands covered "Harbor Lights" and "Lido."

I saw Him last summer in York, PA. He was excellent and had a great band! He did all of the hits but said he was also gonna do some Blues, as he was returning to his roots in his final years.

He played guitar through all of it... a Strat and ES-335.

He only played for 90 minutes including a short break and short encore. And, the show seemed a bit contrived (too well planned).

My only complaint.

Lamar Chipperson likes this.
  10. Lamar Chipperson

Lamar Chipperson TDPRI Member

Saw him live this past summer in Denver. He still sounds great, he played all the hits, and sent everyone home happy. Couldn’t ask for anything more!

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same here. I’ve got a mental list of Boz’ songs a bar band could really get over with. Monkey Time, Full Lock Power Slide, Put It Back The Way It Was, etc. Mostly from his back catalog.

12. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Always been a fan. I saw him twice with the original Steve Miller Band, twice with his band around the time of Moments and Boz Scaggs and Band in the early '70s and twice in the last few years. Smooth and soulful. Last Boz show my wife and her friend bade me goodbye until after the concert and proceeded to stand and dance in front of the stage. I bought his first LP when it came out and still have it. In the early -mid '70s in San Francisco Runnin' Blue and We Were Always Sweethearts were part of the background.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Boz is definitely under the radar too much. Love his stuff. Gotta get some more! Saw him a couple years ago. Loved "Some Change" album.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was a big fan of his pre-hit stuff and his time in the Steve Miller Band. But is newer stuff is really good, too. I should pick up a few of his latest CD's.

Wally likes this.
  15. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like his 21st century albums. But Beautiful and Fool To Care are favs; check out his duet with Lucinda Williams covering The Band's Whispering Pines. He has a great ear for blending instruments, for arrangements.

I'm nobody, but did cover a few of his songs in the late-70s in bar and dance bands around Philly. Lido Shuffle & Lowdown, and then a couple of others I can't pull outa my elderly brain. In the disco era some of us sorta survived by trying to build sets from more musically interesting songs that the clubs would let us play: Scaggs, Earth, Wind & Fire, AWB, Little Feat, etc.

16. kellybluz

kellybluz TDPRI Member

Still a fan of (Loan me a dime). One of my favorites

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I saw him right after he released his Silk Degrees album but had known about his previous bands/gigs.
    That album is still one that gets a lot of play.

Capture.JPG

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Edit...

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Man, thanks for posting those clips. All were outstanding. Have never been a big follower or fan of Boz (no, autocorrect - not Box!) but I always appreciated his talent. This stuff drew me right in and it feels like a great new discovery. Kudos!

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Boz came out and joined John Cleary and Bonnie Raitt and the rest of her band, Sunday week at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. Everybody was ready but there was some kind of technical issue and John's voice was not getting past the board and so the audience only heard Bonnie and Boz and it was kinda ruined, first 1/3 of the only number Boz participated in. I'm not going to judge anyone by the performance. I guess I'll have to wait and see Boz another time. His 2018 album (I think?) sounds great to my ears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.