Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

both my amps are sick, and so am i

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by thunderbyrd, Nov 28, 2017.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i have a 74 vibrolux and an allen brown sugar. i turn either of them on and when they get warmed up, i get intermittent static and popping. i just found that if i tap on the top of either amp, it pops. how could both of them be doing the same thing? neither has been abused at all.

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Unplugged or with a cable plugged in?

3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    Humidity? Loose parts?

Make sure all jacks are snug; remove and re-insert each tube a couple of times; and remove and reinsert each cable a few times.

The amps you list require a solid Ground connection between the input, reverb, and speaker jacks and the chassis, sometimes a nut loosens and contact becomes intermittent.

Rusty and oxidation on tube socket pins, and other jacks, can mess with the electrical connection.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

4. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    First rule of owning a tube amp... Whenever something goes wrong... Blame the tubes.

Darkness likes this.

5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Have you tried them anywhere else than in your house. If your electric system make your amps go bad, sell the house!!!...

RoscoeElegante likes this.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    What's the vacuum tube repairman equivalent of a humanoid Doctor of Proctology?

7. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    That could be a bunch of different things. You would have to answer a couple of other questions that have been asked. Check how the tubes are seated in their sockets. Keeping some contact cleaner around is good for fixing simple noise problems related to the accumulation of dirt. Spraying the pots is also a good idea. After that, try exercising them for a bit to move any dirt accumulation that often creates noise and static. If you don't turn on your amps regularly, like every month or so, this can create other noise problems. Then you will need to know how to fix an amp or know a tech. Keeping a few spare preamp tubes that are known to be good can be helpful in case you need to swap them. Power tubes are a different reality.

8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Fresh tubes. Easiest thing to try first, then you can go on to more technical issues. Besides, it’s always good to have a fresh set for each amp.

9. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Man, that doesn't sound like a bad tube issue, more like a general grounding issue...static build-up or something like that. The same issue with both is odd.

Assuming they are used frequently, I'd sell the house or have it re-wired.

BobbyZ and Ira7 like this.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, give this man a cookie.

I lean toward static, especially this time of year in Central Kentucky.

Two amps won't behave as Siamese Twins unless there's an electrical issue.

thegeezer likes this.

11. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Yup - I also say some electrical thing common between the two. Something else running on the same circuit in the house, a ground issue, static now that's dry, but wouldn't likely be a tube or amp problem presenting the same issue in two amps at the same time.

thegeezer likes this.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    You don't set you smart phone on top of your amp while playing by chance?
    Used to do that to my buddy's Mark V but he finally figured it out. ;)

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    With 1 amp my first guess would be there's 1 or more tube sockets that are arcing and need retensioning. It *could* be both - do you swap tubes often? If so you may have simply opened some up too much.

A home electrical problem doesn't make much sense as the problem is directly related to vibration in the amps themselves. It has to be internal - either tube sockets and/or some loose contact(s) i both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.