Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boston vs Vancouver for Lord Stanley's Cup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DuncanAngus, May 31, 2011.

1. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    that prob changed the molecular structure of the ice crystals ala dr amoto

more to bostons "home ice" favour

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    All y'all that don't live in a border town are shocked at Vancouver's behavior.

We're not.

We've worn the following t-shirt for years around here :

"Canadians. Not as nice as you'd think"

3. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

/signing off, I need to wash this bad taste out of my mouth

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Hundreds may be a small percentage but it is a large group. The term the officials throw around is 'small group' and hundreds of people is not a small group even if it is a small percentage of a larger group.

I'm not writting off Vancouver as some sort of idiot Mecca by any means. It's a great city and like anywhere the vast majority of folks are decent, level headed people. What amazed and dissappointed me was how many people got swept up in the activity. Even those who who were 'passively' just taking pics. Why are they not just clearing the area? Are they really that stupid that they can't sense the gravity of the situaiton? This is just a photo op for them? I'm actually kind of dumbfounded at the degree of some kind of apapthy these 'observers' displayed to the seriousness of the situation. Weird.

A local Vancouver station had a TV reporter in the street giving a play by play in real time when he was approached by a young woman. She was off screen but by the sound of her voice I would guess she was in her twenties. She obviously approached the reporter purposefully in order that she could report to him her concern which was that the police were being kind of rough in clearing the people. :eek: This was about an hour or more into the riot. Her level of stupidity and seeming lack of any sort of reasonable assessment of the situation appeared to be shared by a large group of young folks last night.

Although the police showed great restraint in their contact with these morons, based on what I witnessed on live TV, I think the cops have to somehow account for why their response to the initial problems was so slow in coming. Now maybe if they had acted more swiftly it may not have changed the outcome at all. Hard to say, but they sure hesitated in their response it seems to me.

5. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Violence...it's an aphrodisiac! Photo taken in Vancouver by Getty Images photographer Rich Lam, no photoshop...

[​IMG]

6. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Well, this might do it for me as a Canuck fan. Not because the Sedins and Luongo forgot it was the payoffs last night, the Bruins were clearly the better team, but what a bunch of animals wrecking the streets afterwards.

Pathetic behavior from these goons and I sure hope they don't consider themselves as fans.

And I know it's not just Vancouver who gets involved in these riots but when I lived in the Lower mainland, I heard lots of comments that the USA is so dangerous and out of control with "all the guns". What a joke.

p.s. see I told ya that Vancouver should have sat Luongo!;)

7. G-log

G-log Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2006
    Van.B.C.
    I think the violence was caused by the inbred bastard children of the 1994 Vancouver Canucks riot. I am embarrassed to have the world think we're all a bunch of Hooligans in our little slice of paradise....

8. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    It would be easy to say the riots are a classless act by Vancouver fans, 1994 and 2011 riots are not a coincidence, etc. but that would be an unfair characterization of all Vancouver residents. Granted, a classless act by a few which should not reflect on all Canuck fans and/or Vancouver residents. What's done is done and I'm sure the true Canuck fans will prevail as evidenced by numerous volunteers offering to help clean up.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

10. Maxwell Street

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    The only cities I've been to in Canada are Vancouver and Victoria, beautiful area. When the Sox won the World Series we had people over turning cars on Division Street. It's drunks and mob action, just a sad aspect of human nature.

11. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    [​IMG]

Maybe it's just me, but I think the man needs a facelift...no wonder he hides behind a mask. :oops:

12. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2010
    Vancouver
    It's just you !

13. Maxwell Street

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Here's some Chicago perspective on the Canucks and the riot. From the Sun - Times which won a Pulitzer in 2011. The Herald is a suburban paper used mostly for following high school sports, not taken seriously, no Herald articles here. The comment about Sharp is one of those what if's, he didn't, moot point.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6004434-419/vancouver-rioting-means-its-hockey-fright-in-canada.html

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6013187-419/hockey-fans-didnt-fuel-vancouver-riots-idiots-did.html

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston

15. 3 Chord Monte

3 Chord Monte Former Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Jersey
    As much as I don't mind a black eye here and there for my oft overconfident hockey brethren north of the border (and this was a bit too extreme for my liking), it appears that the riots may not have been a spontaneous reaction from disgruntled hockey fans, but a calculated event for those seeking mayhem.

Who shows up at a hockey gathering with Molotov cocktails? If the answer is hockey fans, than we certainly need to push for a game misconduct for dropping the gloves.

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Just like the Sedins, the cops up here need to grow a pair. It should have never gone that far and it's not like they weren't expecting it.

17. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    Roberto LeBrongo.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

no offense. but nonsense.

Listen to the fans disgrace themselves while the other team gets their awards.

These folks paid to be there and chose to be idiots. Booing is one thing... this is ridiculous.

versus a Texas crowd that was disappointed, yet were respectful.

The amount of pre win boasting and popping off from Canucks fans was way the heck over the top... Time to take a step back and realize that sports are fun and it is awesome to be a huge fan of your team, but all the nitpicking calls and complaining and dogging the other teams etc gets the volume to the point that folks will over react.

a couple hundred people didn't do all that damage in Vancouver... and a political organization didn't go buy jerseys so they could 'hide'... it was thousands of people getting out of control and behaving like petulant children and making excuses for the actions just makes everyone groan.

Okay, you hate the commissioner, believe I don't know 5 people who don't dislike baseball's commissioner, but we won't ruin a fine moment for a bunch of guys by drowning it out.... it is painful and sad and something that shouldn't have happened. end of story.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    No matter where Bettman shows up, the crowds rain boos down on his head.

Philly fans weren't exactly the epitomony of grace last year.

Detroit in 2009.

It's not just in Vancouver, getbent. Plus, the crowd was certainly cheering when Chara lifted the cup, or didn't you wait for that moment?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

20. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    thumbs up dude brock and tyrone liked this!

(bent) please get over it

vancouver has already started healing

its a black mark on our community + country

13000 thousand people showed up thursday to help clean up and restore order

the parents of the rioter that torched the first truck turned him in to the authorities (they can't name him he's a minor)

many other rioters have done the same facebook is full of pictures police have dedicated resourses "to track the criminals down "

this is a social problem not just vancouvers it just happened here

demonstrators around the world mock and laugh at team sports riots when they fight for basic human rights

i think if vancouver won it might have been worse
    "the party" would have been wed to sunday for sure

[​IMG]

"they don't know if Brock Anton from Duncan BC, the first living person ever awarded a Darwin Award, has been arrested yet but somebody has immortalized his young life in song:"

questionable lyric warning

bw

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.