Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boston vs Vancouver for Lord Stanley's Cup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DuncanAngus, May 31, 2011.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Only heard about this game because the rioting is on the news over here. Not a good look for the world's most liveable city eh?

2. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    in sport victory is always short lived
    there will always be someone younger smarter tougher faster stronger and sharper to take your place
    someone more determined more hungry for success

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Real classy coming from a mod.

4. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2010
    Canada
    Haha, I was expecting something intelligent or humorous from getbent... it took me far too long to realize the simple and somewhat incongruous meaning of his post.

5. BlueMidnight

BlueMidnight Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2003
    Denver
    Wow, Canadians are sore losers. Sad.

6. brewwagon

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    sorry blue not all canadians are burning and looting tonight

"small group of troublemakers"-ctv news

7. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Sad day for Vancouver -both in getting so close to winning it all, and with the events that transpired after the game.

Vancouver should have a lot to be proud of today. They played a great game seven (2 of those goals were pretty lucky, and one an open net), but Timmy just had the door closed on the Boston net all night. Although Vancouver started off looking pretty awesome, it seemed that over the long haul, Boston had more fuel in the tank.

Instead, the actions of some fans/hooligans has given the city a world class black eye.

I was actually pulling for the Canucks this series, and I tip my hat to the loyal fans who supported their team peacefully, and calmly left the game as good losers.

Congratulations to the Bruins. You worked long and hard for this championship, and certainly earned it.

8. I agree with your blackeye comment! I've no problem with Vancouver, but those idiots in the streets! WTF?

I was actually rooting for the Bruins, although there was that nationalistic pride at stake, however, it takes Canadians to win a hockey game, and Boston had them.

Sorry if I rub people the wrong way! It's just a sport!

9. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Hello, pot. This is kettle. You're black. :rolleyes:

And while we're at it, I bet Kaberle was really happy to waive his no-trade clause. :lol:

10. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Norwich CT
    Yeah absolutely. The fans in the stadium and probably the vast majority of Vancouver fans were classy saluting the players.

Well except Marchand. :D He's a little rat, but he scores, skates, hits, and will drop the gloves unlike many other rats in the game (Matt Cooke, I'm looking at you).

Best hangover of my life right now...

11. sotob

sotob Tele-Meister

May 9, 2008
    Up the street a bit
    Bruins Won!!!!! The Bruins won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Boston city council decided to lock down their city for game night. No-one was allowed near the arena. Even the Bobby Orr statue was cordoned off so that no-one would climb on it.
    I doubt we will ever again see the crowds that we had downtown. No-one will pay the cost to provide a viewing area like they did on Georgia Street only to see it torn up the way it was.
    A small group of idiots, encouraged by many thousands of other idiots who wouldn't leave, have taken the joy out of the last few weeks. There will be questions and recriminations about the city's level preparedness and whether or not they should be encouraged 200,000 people to gather downtown.

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    It was a great series and it's sad that somebody has to lose.
    Props to the 'Nucks for a great season as well!

..and let's not forget the Red Sox and Beckett who just missed a
    perfect game last night by facing 28 batters and only allowing a measly
    infield hit (that should have been an error, IMO!). One hit shutout!

14. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I've been listening to Team 1040 Vancouver sports radio. These are good guys who are shocked and amazed by the post-game riot. Most sports fans handle their disappointment at a loss without a riot, but there are always a few bad seeds.

I know that Canucks fans are passionate about their team and are generally classy people who live in a beautiful place. I intend to visit there someday soon, but I'm glad I wasn't driving into town last night with Mass plates on my car.

15. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

The weather was beautiful, which probably encouraged the huge crowds to attend.
    Maybe if we'd had our usual rain and drizzle, the crowds would've smaller and easier to handle.
    It was bad enough to see our team sputter and lose, but to see our city burned... that was sickening.

16. brewwagon

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 Posted by News Editor
    Thugs trash downtown Vancouver in night of mayhem

By Salim Jiwa

VANCOUVER – Police using teargas, pepper spray and batons had secured downtown Vancouver by 1 a.m. on Thursday after mobs of rioters trashed and torched cars, looted businesses and engaged in numerous fights following the Canucks defeat by the Boston Bruins.

While cops claimed the riots were the work of a small group of people, large mobs of hundreds could be seen breaking into the downtown Sears, Chapters and Futureshop electronic store and making away with goods. (the bay london drugs and many others)

Two police cars were first trashed and then torched. The cops cars were among dozens of vehicles destroyed by the mob which began a rampage before the end of the final Stanley Cup game.

Dozens of people were taken to hospital during the riot – with many needing treatment for pepper spray and other suffering from stab wounds resulting from numerous fights among the rioters.

Police called in reinforcements from neighbouring municipalities and were also joined by RCMP to bring the tense situation under control. Several downtown streets were littered with burned out cars and glass from smashed storefront windows.

Some 100,000 (+) had stood on a downtown street corner to watch the game on a big screen – but the party went awry as the defeat of the home team appeared certain.

Police said last night they had prepared for the possibility of trouble and that they had a plan in place to deal with it. However, there was no intervention by cops as hundreds entered downtown stores and looted goods at will for several hours.

At times, it seemed police were outnumbered and mobs were undeterred by baton charges after cops read them the riot act.

There were unconfirmed reports of a number of stabbings and one death – but those reports had not been confirmed by police.

Vancouverites were disgusted by the violence which was beamed live around the world and watched as far away as Australia. KTLA TV broadcast a live streaming video of the riots on the Internet. (as did cbc)

Const. Jana McGuinness (a total smoking babe) issued a short statement shortly after midnight stating the streets were largely under police control.

“Police are reporting that most people have now left the downtown core. A heavy police presence remains in the area as officers work to secure evidence and ensure no other criminal acts take place,” she said.

Police are asking anyone with video evidence, photographs, or witness accounts to call the VPD Robbery Assault Squad at 604-717-2541 or email robbery@vpd.ca

Thousands of pictures were taken by bystanders, police and television stations – potentially allowing cops to identify the rioters who face serious charges of break and enter, destruction of property, arson, assault with a weapon and public mischief.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Hey, you live in Richmond. It's not even your city. :D
    And besides, it was a few cars and the awning next to The Bay. Not the whole city.
    However, today, I'm proud to call myself a Port Moody resident. Vancouver is the other side of the mountain. :D

18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Well I watched the riot from a safe distance last night, on my couch in another city. But one thing that I observed that is in complete disagreement with the police and mayor's statement is the notion that all that disturbing nonsense last night was the doing of "a small group of troublemakers". That's utter nonsense. There was hundreds of active participants involved and I think that's important to acknowledge. The tired cliche of a the "small group of troublemakers" just doesn't accurately describe anything I saw last night.

I found the event very sad and disturbing in and of itself but also to what it appears to point to in a larger sense. Are we raising a bunch of twenty-something year old goons in our society who think any moment, no matter how viloent and dangerous is just a f'ing cell phone photo op? I hate to think those idiots represent even a small portion of todays younger generation. Disturbing.:cry:

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the fallout from this especially given the unprecedented use of Facebook and cell phone evidence. I hope they are able to nab a whole bunch of those morons.

19. brewwagon

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    boney hundreds among hundreds of thousands really is a small percentage of rowdies its the 1 % 'ers and they would raise hell win or lose

not everyone is a jerk here generally people here are warm pleasant layed back easy to get along with kind helpful

over 2500 people mostly real canuck fans signed up to help clean the city this morning prob more than doing the actual damage

the police rounded up the bad guys last time technology has has come a long way since 94
    and the olympics (cameras security etc)

20. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Hopefully I'll watch The Red Sox on this afternoon's replay up here.
    I'm still processing everything that happened in Game 7.
    I think Hortz bringing Boston Water to pour on the ice was brilliant!!! :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.