Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Did you mean "sure boss, whatever you say?" :D

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    he called me BOSS?
    Imagine in only 4 pages just about everyone reacted to 'BOSS' in a really insecure manner, some edging on sheer paranoia.
    Who da thunk it? Good job Bones, so many with delicate egos. Its a great safety net for all to run here for group hugs.

Wallo Tweed and Boomhauer like this.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    When I waited tables years ago I had a table of Long Island bros trying to impress their dates. One of the bros in particular liked to use "buddy" when referring to me the first time I came to the table and introduced myself. "Hey buddy, can you make sure you take good care of us? Thanks, buddy." or "Hey buddy, my girl got a special drink from the bartender. Can you tell him to make her another, but this time with more booze. Thanks, buddy."

My reply after his third or fourth buddy in a row before I'd even left the table: "You got it there, chief." :rolleyes::lol:

xafinity and Toto'sDad like this.

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    What a time it is to be alive, now that all the world's big problems are solved!

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It's like pal or ace. An insult, in other words.

Kidding, I guess, but that's how it usually sounds to me.

Bones likes this.

6. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I live what I affectionately call the derelict hotel, I do so because that's the buildings past and reputation ( relates to the topic, maybe). It's the perfect "hide out" in that the reputation serves as a form of reactive armor. the bottom line is affordable housing with dignity, which includes having room for people that color outside the lines.
    This old guy , I mean he was certainly senior to me went off and called me some names that to put it politely were way beyond pejorative. I was not offended, I was not dismayed. That's his stuff. and I am not the creature of his angry projections.
    I don't disrespect others with nasty looks, saying things to diminish their self-esteem or beat them with guilt and shame.
    If you hate my guts for any reason or no reason at all, I'm fine with that, just as long as you don't take inappropriate action because of the hatred.
    If I wanted to forget about right speech, and lapse into class struggle, I'd call somebody BOSS.

7. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I use "boss" regularly. And "dude."

Boomhauer likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When I worked at the old Desert Inn years ago, there was a little jerk pro golfer who loved to table hop, moving from one table to another and chit chatting. Only problem for us was, Poncho the guy who ran the hoted insisted that anytime anyone joined a table the entire setup had to be changed including silver ware, table cloth, napkins, and fresh water glasses all around. Finally one day I got enough of him, and just as I walked by him, I dumped 36 glasses of water and the trey on top of him. He was flustered and I quickly grabbed a napkin from the adjacent table covered in jelly and began to furiously dab at the water on his shirt. When I got through with him he looked like bozo the clown dressed up to go on a date. My "Boss" said, if I thought you did that on purpose, I'd fire you on the spot!" I think he knew, but couldn't say so, I'm also pretty sure he enjoyed the incident "almost" as much as I did.

Chud likes this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    What on earth does PP's height have to do with anything? Plus, the wik said 5'4"...

Toto'sDad likes this.

10. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2006
    Leafs Nation
    I call my wife "Boss". I say "Yes Boss" many times a day. She seems to find it amusing. :)

11. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Ahhh...Yes.... Kerberos....It's from Greek Mythology.....KERBEROS (Cerberus) was a three-headed dog, that guarded the gates of Hades against all things seen and heard.

In modern terms, it's a protocol used in operating systems for authenticating trusted hosts across across a untrusted network...Like the internet! But yeah...it's not easy to pronounce...Sorry...retired computer guy....Just a name I picked years ago, and it stuck with me

12. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Artistic license

13. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I spent 20 years of my life trying to solve some of the world's bigger problems, this is more fun.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Guys call each other boss just to give each other a little sense of importance. Because, we all know the real "boss" is, The Missus.:D

Toto'sDad likes this.

15. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Maybe you missed it, but the operative word was, boss.
    The rest was just a vehicle, the agent for it.

(why should it surprise me to have to explain punchlines to coders and such.) ;)

Kerberos likes this.

16. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Whatever dude.

Toto'sDad likes this.

17. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    LOL!

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    It's used a lot here and is considered normal, "Can I help boss?" is fully interchangeable with the equally common "What can I get you love?" and "what do you want duck?".

It's always fun to see the look on the out of town macho man's face when his local equivalent calls him "love"...

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    That phrase when used for THE BOSS is uttered in an entirely different manner. :eek::lol::lol::lol:

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ...or duck o_O:confused::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.