Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BOSS TU-3 NIGHTMARE- warning...

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by djalt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Hey guys.

So we're 2 min. To showtime and I check my tele's tuning... 1/2 step out!!!! So I quickly retune, the curtain gets pulled..... and IM a half tone out! HORROR SHOW! Its like those dreams where you show up for school and you've got no pants....

Anyway SOMEHOW my TU3 got put into Eb mode just minutes before the show....
    Anyone know of anyway to lock out that feature?

2. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    NY
    Try hitting it with a hammer.

3. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty

4. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Spokane Washington
    this should fix it ;)

[​IMG]

seriously tho that's one of my favorite things about this pedal...when you power it on it tells you what mode it's in :cool:

5. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Thx guys.

I feel better having shared the story...

6. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    That sucks. I'm sorry this happened to you djalt.
    FWIW, you will remember this far longer than anyone else and now you have that knowledge under your belt that this will never happen again.

Watch, the next show will be unbelievable and make up for this one, in spades.

7. IdahoPicker

IdahoPicker Tele-Afflicted

Jun 20, 2009
    North Idaho
    I had a similar experience when I first bought my TU-2. I bought it only minutes before a gig (existing tuner at the time crapped out at the last minute). I wasn't familiar with it yet, so when the little dot in the corner of display showed up, I had no idea that it meant the note was sharp. Yeah, guitar COMPLETELY out of tune with the band. I had just joined the band, it was my 3rd gig, needless to say, they were not impressed.

8. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you unplug the guitar from it, it should reset to the default: A=440.

9. G-log

G-log Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2006
    Van.B.C.
    I had an od Sabine tuner that used to do that! It always happened at the most stressful times for some reason, I share your pain!

10. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Hey guys this makes me inspired to get out and keep gigging... any other suggestions for making sure the tele stays in tune?

11. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    Illinois
    Yeah, tune well in advance of the performance, also those micro tuners that clip on your headstock are nice for spot tuning... but mostly set it up right in the first place (or have it done) and put some good tuning machines on it if it's an import...

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    When I change strings I do that a couple days before the gig.
    At the gig get the guitar out of the case and let it acclimate to the temperature there, then tune it.

I used a TU2 for years and been using a TU3 for 8 months with absolutely no problems. I do carry a Seiko tuner in my gig bag as a backup. All that said if you are a full half step off you should be noticing that before the gig. I always make sure my amp/cables/pedals/guitar are going to work when the gig starts so I play a little at low volume to test everything then wait for the gig to start.

13. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Great suggestions, guys.
    For the record, its a genyuwine Parsons-built b-bender USA tele. 2 Keith tuners, one on the A and one on the high E. Stock USA tuners are not bad, thinking of putting on Klusons.

Set up was done by Brad and Kevin at Capsule music here in Toronto.
    P.S. Brad builds wicked teles, especially his esquiers....( google "shyboy guitars")cuts his own bodies out of a really light swamp ash. Thinking of having him give the b-bender a components upgrade...
    Anywhooooose.....
    Shouldve trusted my ears.
    Shoulda coulda woulda. :)

14. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 6, 2009
    Wales
    Flying on instruments is fine, but if you see the ground coming up at ya...

15. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Hey guys any other suggestions on best chromatic tuner pedals/ machine tuners?

16. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2010
    Frederick County, MD
    the TU 3 is a great Tuner

to reset to factory default (the best setting IMHO):

1. While holding down the MODE button, turn on the power (insert a plug into the INPUT jack).
    The green light at the center of the meter lights up.
    2. Press the MODE button again.
    The green light at the center of the meter flashes three times, and the TU-3 returns to its normal mode, with the
    original default factory settings restored.

Here's a link to the manual in pdf format:
    http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/TU-3_OM.pdf

17. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    Thanks greytop!

Will check this out asap!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.