Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss SD-1 Through a Modern Bandit

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Dec 4, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    Hi, I have a modern Bandit (5-6 years old), and thinking of adding an OD to it.
    For comparison, a BD-2 sounds great through it, and I have an old DF-2(basically a DS-1 with a feedback circuit) that sounds great as well.
    What I want to avoid is the sort of thin sound you can sometimes get with something like a TS-9 and certain amps.
    I have generally almost exclusively used the OD in the amps I own, but the switching in the Peavey has a lag/mute when switching between clean and lead that I cannot adjust to, so I am looking at OD pedals instead.
    The DS-1/SD-1 are at my budget level. There are other pedals, particularly TC Electronics MojoMojo, but I really do want to consider a Boss, as I am powering my pedals with an old Boss PSM-5.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Jakedog likes this.

2. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I'd consider a Boss OD-3 if you like Boss pedals (I do, as they're reliable, generally good-sounding and available at extremely reasonable prices especially used). The OD-3 is a great all-around overdrive that can be found for around $50-$60 or so in great used condition. I don't know what it sounds like with a Bandit but I'd be willing to bet it sounds good.

gitlvr likes this.

3. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    The Boss SD-1 is my current overdrive box, being used through a MIA Red Stripe Bandit. It does what I want it to (I usually only have the gain around 9:00, unity volume, tone noon or less), works well in a multi-guitar band environment, and I haven't found anything that does it better just yet for the price. It has that mid hump going on, but it's a somewhat rougher character than a Tubescreamer would be. I like it a lot.

Of course that might be because I started with an OD-1 passed down to me by a friend, and that sound has still stuck with me.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    That's pretty much exactly how I set mine. Love it. Works great on a Bandit.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    Thanks, guys.

6. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Was going to agree with the first mention of these settings, but I'm third man in :) 9'oclock on the gain and tone tweaked a bit left or right of noon is a perfect SD-1 setting for light blues overdrive (basically perfect for early Fabulous Thunderbirds, that first album is sooo good) , to tighten up a heavier OD, or to push and fill out a big scooped distortion like a Big Muff.

-Scott

songtalk and Staypuft1652 like this.

7. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    What became of the OD-1? I'm currently using an OD-1 clone built by a friend of mine (Dingotone SQO) that's a dead ringer tone wise, although I have an SD-1 floating around too.

-Scott

8. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    Had to pawn it years ago, unfortunately. I'd like to have one again for nostalgia purposes, but after doing a bit of digging around with videos like this? I don't think there's a noteworthy enough tonal difference to need to prioritize it.

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I'll echo

Gain ~ 9 o clock
    Volume ~unity maybe Little boost
    Tone ~somewhere close to noon, a little more or less depending on your ears/rig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.