Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss MS-3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hollandcaster, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Jan 31, 2005
    Wagenberg, Holland
    New toy
    [​IMG]
    Effects and pedalswitcher.

Il Duce likes this.

2. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Do you need the tuner? I thought it had one.

Hollandcaster likes this.

3. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Jan 31, 2005
    Wagenberg, Holland
    Yeah it does have one, but it's easier for the input and the tu has stroboscope

blille likes this.

4. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I like the look of this MS-3.

It is a convenient size (unlike most multi effect units) and could probably replace the signal splitter and modulation effects on my board.

I am interested in how in works in practice.

5. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    it is very nice, and sounds great, very flexible, it has replaced my tuner, comp, delay, reverb, trem, leslie, phase, and chorus pedals, gigging for the first time with it tonight, we will see how my patch scheme works.

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

How hard was it to program, using the manual?

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I didn't need the programming, that's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place with the floorboard modeler, and going over to actual pedals.
    Went with the One stop Iguana tail, with built in DC, buffered and unbuffered inputs.
    It's a far cheaper option, thou the Boss is techincally...
    More technical.
    I'm confused why you would want to program pedals rather than a floorboard modeler.
    But I do get that you can shuffle the 'stacking'.
    It far nicer if you need that, but it's not worth another $100 to have it in my case.

8. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I'll probably just stick with the three or four pedals I use, old school. The potential advantage of this unit is you could supplement your pedals that create your signature base tone with lots of other sounds that you would use very rarely-- envelope filter, flange, chorus, octaver, whammy pedal, harmony generator, various exotic delays, etc. There's a whole mess of Boss pedals modeled inside this box. It also has lots of Boss overdrives in it, so it might even be possible that your base tone overdrive pedals would disappear. I could see ending up with just the MS3 alone, potentially, and no supplemental pedals at all.

With most of these systems, such as the ME-80, there are two main modes. In one mode the various stomp buttons turn various individual effects on and off, similar to having a few dedicated old school pedals. But in the other mode you use the stomp buttons to access patches that you have previously set up, which can consist of multiple pedals, possibly in the order you want, with your desired settings.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how I would most likely use it, and how hard it would be to dial it in. For example, a real simple application could be to reserve it for time-based effects only-- delay, chorus, flange, tremolo-- and set it up with patches to only provide those effects. I could then have a couple of old school dirt pedals in front of it and I would be good to go. The whole unit costs just a little more than something like a Boss DD-7 digital delay so it's tempting to get all the time based effects one could ever want for about the same price of just a delay. I guess I'll watch some YouTube videos to get a better idea. This is one of those boxes that has all kinds of bells and whistles to suit a wide variety of applications, but I would probably only use a few features and ignore all the other options. KISS- keep it simple stupid-- works best for me, so I can concentrate on playing.

9. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Congrats! It's not inexpensive, but when you consider what you get it's a bargain! I really like the fact that it has 3 loops although it's a shame that you have to use one of them if you want to insert it into your amps effects loop.

10. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Kind of looks like the ME-X without the pedalboard.

11. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    yup that is what I am doing, I put a dirt pedal in one loop and have that loop on for all patches, so I can turn it on globally, then I have a clean boost after the ms-3 so I have a global boost without changing patches or going into manual mode. I also set my base tone as patch 1 on all banks. I still think in terms of pedals, so basically I just copy by base tone to all patches then add a modulation to each patch set to on. So I go from basic, to basic + trem, back to basic, worked pretty well at the gig last night.

I think this thing is worth the price just as a volume pedal, tuner, and ambiance.

The drives do sound really good, pretty impressed so far.

It is also cool for creativity, being able to experiment with the sounds and to be able to have some esoteric sound you only use once in a while is cool.

12. pokett

pokett TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Elk Grove
    Has anyone else found the Librarian features of the MS-3 software on the Mac to be completely unusable? Moving patches to live sets results in the settings being overwritten (the patch in the live set shows the correct name, but doesn’t have the correct settings, it has settings from other apparently random patches), reordering patches that are currently ON the MS-3 from the Librarian screens sometimes works, but only for a certain number of patches, and then it stops moving them, or even reverts them back to where they were previously. The UI of the application will show that it has moved patches, but the MS-3 itself doesn’t reflect the change (either with the info shown or its screen OR with the actual underlying patch data).

I feel like I'm going crazy…

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.