Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss ME-80 club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by shanghaitele, Apr 13, 2014.

1. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    Hey, maybe it is time to start a thread club for the ME-80. I owned an ME-70 for some years until boss announced the successor then I sold it and since few weeks I own a new me80 and I love it. Please come to this thread to join the club and show your appreciation or ask and give information

dotpc likes this.
  2. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Yep, the ME-80 is good. Still wish Boss would have put a line out in it. I still like my ME-70 for gigging and I use the ME-80 in the studio.

3. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2007
    south jersey
    successor? do you mean they've added refinements since i bought my ME-5?:lol:

Attached Files:

bender66 likes this.
  4. RockerDuck

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. lol

5. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    There is a Phones / REC Out. REC = recording. You can use this as a line out.

dotpc likes this.
  6. RockerDuck

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Same as the ME-70. It is amp simulated, not direct out. At least the ME-80 has a USB out.

7. RockerDuck

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    After playing the ME-80 for awhile I have found that I like the ME-70 better. The refinements on the ME-80 made it more studio worthy than gig worthy. The extra effects were sounds I don't use, but I tried too. So, back it goes. The ME-70 won.

8. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    ME-80 took over duties from my old ME-50. I'm very happy with it.

[​IMG]

Airsculptor likes this.
  9. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    If either my ME-50 or my ME-70 give up the ghost, I'd feel comfortable replacing them with an ME-80.

The quality of the sounds seem the same as the ME-70, which means they're excellent.

The USB interface is nice too, but I already have a Yamaha THR5 for that. I kinda' wish Boss had introduced the ME-80 two years ago... I bet Boss wishes the same thing! :oops:

The main thing I like about the ME-80 is the 8 separate footswitches, instead of just 4 on the ME-70 and 3 on the ME-50. I don't own one yet, but it seems like a nice addition to the series.

10. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Brøndby, Denmark
    I'm in. Love it. And how can one live without a triple delay sound?

11. Checkocaster

Checkocaster TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Phoenix
    Count me in! I initially got it to back up my (mostly) analogue board. But, with a little tweaking, I was able to get good sounds out of it. This includes the overdrive. So I'm considering making this my primary effects source. (Despite the closet full of pedals I've acquired over the years) I can get 85% of the sound quality of my analogue board and the convenience, reliability and ability to create patches that come with a digital effects unit. For me, that's a good trade-off. Others may not t think so.

A lot of people on the various forums complain about digital overdrive. In many cases it's justified, but on this there are some useable tones.

What works well for me it's to pick one that's in the general area of what I want. Then dial OUT what I DON'T want (as opposed to dialing in what you do want, you'll only be disappointed if you try this). I also always use the eq that comes in the "extra effects" section. That a allows me to really shape the tone of the od. Then I smooth it out with generous reverb &/or delay.

What this will do well are more compressed and processed sounds. You'll get closer to David Gilmour than SRV, for example. Esp since you need the reverb and delay. Of course, opinions will vary.

12. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze TDPRI Member

May 29, 2014
    Michigan
    Bought one about three months ago. My first multi-pedal. I use it live in front of a 2 channel, non-master volume tube amp. I use mainly simple effects rather than the exotic combinations and presets. I don't have the ability to do the 4CM. Do you folks use it in the front or in the effects loop?

13. Picked one up on sale this morning and used it at rehearsal today. Very cool unit indeed. Just ran it on manual (stomp box) mode and got some really nice tones out of it. Ran it into a Peavey Delta Blues on clean and also my friend's Roland JC120. Haven't messed with any patches yet or any of the high gain stuff. Not really into high gain distortion anyway, but I did use the compressor and a mild bit of overdrive (BD-2). Love the delays and modulation. I especially dig the fact that you can combine some of the modulation effects or have multiple delays running. That alone makes this unit worth the price, in my opinion. While I can't say for sure that it will replace my pedalboard, it sure is convenient to carry one lightweight and easily portable unit.

[​IMG]

14. I'm running it through the effects loop of my Peavey Delta Blues preferring to use the amp's overdrive and use the ME-80 for modulation and delays. Sounds great with both clean and drive channels. I also ran it in front of my Mustang III V2's clean 65 Twin Reverb preset.

I've just been using my ME-80 in manual mode and haven't really explored the presets, but I'm impressed by what it can do. So many effects at your disposal and being able to combine modulation effects or add multiple delays is brilliant. In fact, the ME-80 can do everything my stand-alone pedals I can do and then some.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I had a ME80, liked it but thought I might like the Boss GT100 better. That was a mistake, the GT100 was too much, so I'm back to the ME80.
    The compressor, ods, modulation and delays and reverbs are great, I really like the Tera Echo.
    Some of the amp models are good too, though I mostly use the unit for effects in manual mode.
    It is nice to have the option to use patches, and there are some nice patches at the Boss Tonecentral site.
    I like having all the knobs for each section of the unit, which makes it very simple to adjust things on the fly.
    I'm not crazy about all of the OD/ distortion choices, but there are enough good ones to get me by.
    And if your amp should go down the ME80 will work well as a backup into the PA.
    For the cost of a few individual stompboxes, this is a very good unit IMHO.

16. RockerDuck

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Well I bought another ME-80 after deciding I didn't need it over my ME-70. Well, I was wrong, I missed it for my studio, so its back.

17. I've got a gig set up tonight and I'll be using my ME-80. Looking forward to using it. Already stored a couple of patches for easy retrieval. Granted, I've become used to my analogue dirt, modulation and delay pedals and I can clearly tell the differences between them and the ME-80, particularly at bedroom levels, but those differences become somewhat blurred at band volume levels. Plus it's so lightweight easy to carry and set up compared to my pedalboard.

dotpc likes this.
  18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I agree, the OD / distortion models are not the same as using a dedicated stompbox, but at rehearsal and live gig levels they sound good, used my ME80 at rehearsal Friday night into a 75 Deluxe Reverb, and some great tones came out.
    The chorus seems a bit weak to me, but I don't use chorus too much, probably just need to play around and find a good setting.
    Phaser , tremolo, flanger all sound good.

19. RockerDuck

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    The chorus does a good job of thickening up the OD on the ME-70 and ME-80.

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Joined the ME-80 Club today! $200 used on CL, including the AC adapter.

Only got to play it for 10 minutes to confirm it works. It's got some decent sounds, but the patches I've programmed into my ME-70 still sound better to me.

I'm 100% positive that the ME-80 will equal or surpass my ME-70 given time.

I now own an ME-50, ME-70, ME-80, a GT-6, and a GT-8.

So far, the ME-70 has been my favorite, but they all sound good.

Can any ME-80 owners share any tricks that the ME-80 can do but the others can't?

How is the ME-80 for recording? The GT-8 has digital out, but it's not USB... Looking forward to playing with the new toy! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.