Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss Katana - Never Ending Hesitation

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Ryan Aditantra, May 27, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Got my Vote on a Jazz Chorus...They are not cheap, but put out an amazing sound for a solid state amp

2. steelfabmike

steelfabmike TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2010
    rockford, il
    I've had the Champion 40 for over a year. Very happy! What I think sets this one apert from the rest is that channel one, clean, is analog solid state (according to Fender). Channel two is digital modeling. Kind of best of both worlds. Ch 1 is a great pedal platform.

Pixies2005 and Jim Dep like this.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    both channels in the champions are digital

4. steelfabmike

Mar 20, 2010
    rockford, il
    I wrote to Fender and they claimed that ch1 is analog and ch2 is digital. I also questioned that and they reconfirmed. I would think if that in fact is correct, that would be a huge selling point.

5. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's not strictly false to say it's analog since it has analog gain stages, but the signal from ch 1 absolutely gets converted to digital.

Using that same logic, you could also call ch2 analog.

steelfabmike likes this.

6. steelfabmike

Mar 20, 2010
    rockford, il
    That makes sense. I wrote (chatted) with them again and asked the same question. They said they'd get back with me but haven't heard yet.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Digital shouldn't be getting a bad rap these days. The digital modeling technology of today is far superior to the digital sterile stigma of 20 years ago.

8. steelfabmike

Mar 20, 2010
    rockford, il
    To my ears, the Champion 40 sounds better than any previous Fender solid state offerings. I can go up to 8 on the volume and it holds together pretty well. Beyond that it gets a little raspy. I also like the volume taper. No longer from 0 to 1 1/2 silence then at 2 the amp becomes deafening. I agree with Jim Dep that digital is sounding pretty good these days.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    If you can play a 40 watt amp at 8 (that won't break the bank) and maintains a good tone, that's pretty amazing. I have a older Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 that weighs in at 270 watts...with very efficient Scorpion speakers.. and it would also not distort at volume 8......the problem is that there would be broken glass on the floor ,not a picture left on the walls and I'd have to read lips.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Several guys over on the Pedal Steel Guitar forum have been raving about the Katana 100 for steel. Up until now, you typically had to spend at least $600 to get a half decent pedal steel amp... Usually much more than that. They are saying it compares very favorably to the Peavey Nashville 112, and it's much less expensive.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong either way. Play with them both, and if you don't quite trust your ears, just get the one that's easier for you to dial in. They are both fine amps.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Close your eyes... Breath in... Breath out... Open your eyes... Focus... Now, go and get that Katana.

GrantR and pondcaster like this.

12. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    The reason I preferred the Kantana over the Champion was simple. I thought it sounded much closer to a valve amp. Warmer, less digital. I still haven't brought a Kantana but I see Boss have released a Kantana mini 7 watt practice amp for under 100 pounds so I shall get one and see if I become converted.

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The Katana Mini is a completely different thing compared to the others in the range. It looks interesting though, smaller and lighter than the old Micro Cube.

14. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I have the Katana 50 and use it for smaller gigs, miked up through a PA and can't fault it. Haven't used my valve amps since I've had it...and its bigger 100w 212 brother that has now taken over from my Twin Reverb for the big clean rockabilly sounds but at a much lighter weight (the reason I bought it)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.