Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss Katana - Never Ending Hesitation

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Ryan Aditantra, May 27, 2017.

1. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Hey fellas.

I found myself ridicolous not to buy this cool amp Boss Katana. I am little bit overthinking.

At first I was to Marshall Code 50. But it seems like this amp sounds so digital, enginered. Then I moved to Boss Katana 50. I was 99% sure but then friend of mine said since I play mostly in clean channel and rely on pedals (I play jazz and blues), then Fender Champion 40 was way better and cheaper. The I started my hesitation till now.

Please advise me should I take Boss Katana 50 or Fender Champion 40? I play mostly at clean channel. Need a clear and bright clean sound. I only use OD for little bit bluesy/crunchy sound.

After that, my second hesitation is that should I by 50 or 100 version. I will use this just for home practice but if bigger watt provide better clean sound, I don't mind. Is it really different the clean sound on 50 and 100?

Thanks in advance. I am dying in this hesitation.

2. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    I also play jazz and blues. I have a Mustang GT100 and it is very good at clean sounds. I use the Twin Reverb preset plus a few variations on the tone settings. I use the Princeton preset when I need a bit more grit.

3. Andy LoveGhost

Andy LoveGhost TDPRI Member

May 22, 2017
    Darklands
    If "clean" is what you seek, I believe Fender is pretty hard to beat. Consider the Super Champ XD as well, tubes, two channels and all the sounds you can think of between Super Clean and Super Savage.

Piggy Stu likes this.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    The Katana has good cleans too! Its nice to have lots more under the hood! Go Katana!

5. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Does it sound too enginered? I am going with OD pedals for crunchy/bluesy sounds too, just curious how it goes, digital amp and pedals.

6. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Some of my friends share your opinion. Fender clean never goes wrong. But if you mention super champ no wonder, how bout fender champion 40 as it a Solid State amp? You still with this rather than boss katana?

7. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I tried boss katana 50 once, it sounds good. Just curious whether fender champion sounds better.

8. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Is it possible for you to buy both from a store with a good return policy so you can A B them in your home?

9. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    I briefly used a Fender champion 100 and didn't like it at all. The Kantana sounds superior to me in all respects.

10. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada

11. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    can you elaborate why champion 100 (i guess 40 too) is not likeable? How is the clean sound?

12. Andy LoveGhost

Andy LoveGhost TDPRI Member

May 22, 2017
    Darklands
    I've never been disappointed by Fender solid-state amps. The cleans are always there, even in the much-maligned red-knob series. One of my fave Fenders is the Super Chorus solid-state amp, I played one in a studio once and fell in love with it. Got myself one a few years later but it's way too loud to play at home.

Again, if clean is what you seek, go Fender, they mastered the art of pristine.

boredguy6060 likes this.

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Roland Jazz Chorus for good cleans.

MilwMark likes this.

14. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I bought a Katana 50 for myself ... its nice .

boredguy6060 likes this.

15. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore
    I tried all three on Sunday. The Code was just bad. The Katana is nice but it has its own thing going. Like Fender, Marshall or Vox it has its own sound. You have to try it to see if it works for you. I also play cleaner sounds. Walked out of the store with a Mustang GT 40. All I needed was a practice amp.

16. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The Katana out of the box is a nice amp. It doesn't sound like it's trying to be anything else. Using the Tone Studio or third party software you can play with different amp sound to your hearts content, I prefer to tweak the knobs on the amp and just play my guitar.

hotraman and GrantR like this.

17. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    PSA: I saw a nice 50 in the used section of the Asheville NC GC yesterday morning. Looked brand spankin' new for $149.

Didn't know if anyone would be interested? Could have it sent to your local GC?

Anyway, just fyi. Rock on!

18. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    I use pedals with my Katana head as well.
    Honestly there is no right or wrong. Just listen to what you "hear" If you don't like the amp, flip it. I have owned the Vox modeling, Fender Mustang 2, Cube 40 GX at one time.
    Now I am with the Katana head, which allows me to use my cabinets ( 15" and 12" speakers) with them. Its great that there are so many options.

GrantR likes this.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I didn't get much out of the Mustang vs Katana video, except they are interchangeable for clean-ish tone. I always thought Roland and the Cube series were the best Fender-clean emulators, so it stands the Katana 50 would continue that quality and sound like a Fender for clean. Comparable power, effects, cost, and 12" format. The Champion has that retro look, and smaller cab, the Katana has the brand-new look, and top mount controls....tomayto, tomahto? And nobody needs 100W, even in a solid state...really.

20. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    It seems very obvious to me that the Mustang, acts more iike a guitar amplifier, giving just a little grit when he digs in. It also sounds warmer and punchier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.