Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Boss Fender '63 Reverb PEDAL!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ruger9, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Hecks

Hecks Tele-Meister

I've wondered for the longest time why Fender never capitalized on this idea. I'm definitely dropping my HG Reverb for one of these... especially if it doesn't run on a freaking power supply only!

2. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

It would certainly fill a need. There aren't a whole lot of springy reverb pedals out there. I don't like the cheap tin boxes held together with sheet metal screws that EH makes. I know a guy who has broken a Holy Grail project box by stepping on it with boots.

The Roland video is nice. Good demo. I'm glad that they're using a slightly older and calmer guy than Johnny DeMarco. I hope they do really well with the new reverb pedal.

John

3. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

The surf clip was unsatisfying - not nearly enough drip. But maybe he didn't have the dwell cranked enough. The tremolo was set too deep too.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

yeah Uma, its kinda hard to judge a pedal without seeing what the settings are. boss should take a tip from pro guitar shop.
    i dont really care what the players fingers are doing or what facial expression he's making.SHOW ME THE KNOBS.
    that said,i bet the boss video wasnt maximum drip on any of the settings,and it sounded way better than any other boss pedal reverb i've owned,[and i like the rv-2]. but my peavey srp-16 pedal sounds so good i may wait until the boss units start turning up in droves on ebay,like the other fender character boss pedals.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

If you watch the video you'll see two other Boss/Fender COSM pedals....those are the ones that came out two years ago. I have the Black One. The Reverb-only is new.

I think you guys are being a bit hard on the demo man. Watch a few Johnny DeMarco Poodle Hair videos with Johnny talking like a DJ and you'll feel better about the new guy. I like the new guy.

John (not DeMarco)

7. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

I'm trying out the demo version of Amplitube Fender, which also has a 63 Reverb emulator. It actually sounds very good, quite convincing, but it uses up a lot of RAM, especially with the Dwell/Mix cranked - much more than just the amp emulator.

Which makes me think we won't be seeing any realistic digital '63 Reverb emulating pedals in the near future - a pedal isn't going to have the processing power of a PC. By realistic I mean capturing the drippy nuances of a real tank.

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

steve trovato is a guitar god, but he does not seem to care at all about surfmusic. they should have asked DICK DALE to demo that pedal. i will try it anyway.....

9. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

That makes me wonder. there was a computer thesis floating around the net years ago where the students sought to make real accurate digital modeling of amps - not for money, but as a project. They said with enough processing power it was possible to make amazingly accurate models. They said the biggest problem was processing power and cited little 'units' as having the least amount of processing power, therefore the algorithms used are always severely compromised. -They have to meet a price point so to speak. The rest is marketing.

I'm interested in the pedal, but reluctant to think it's the second coming of Christ. After all, all the other reverb pedals to date also have tried to base their spring setting on the classic fender sound - and yet the quality of those sounds are all over the place. I wouldn't get too excited just yet just because it says Fender and '63 on it. Those are just packaging tools. I expect it to be, at best, a tweaked version of whatever the spring reverb algorithm that is already in the Roland Cube. I don't have a cube. Maybe it's a stellar model. But I'm reluctant to think this product is going to be significantly better than the Holy Grail, Spring Chicken, or any other medium priced reverb that already exists. Maybe I'm just having a Glass is half empty kind of day.

10. Noodler

Noodler Tele-Meister

No way to tell if this will be any good from youtube, seriously.

The joy of reverb is that it "bounces back" depending on how hard and fast you pick, especially on the higher strings. It'd definitely be a feel-based decision- especially after the FDR-1, which had no feel whatsoever.

I've got a Vox Pathfinder 15R that has a real little reverb tank in it that sounds beautiful and the whole amp probably cost less than this pedal will cost. I was pretty surprised when I bumped it one day and heard them rattle! Why can't a little off-board reverb be made cheaply?

11. Wally

Wally Telefied

Well, if you close your eyes......and the close your ears you might convince yourself that this sounds like true tube reverb. IT doesn't. That is why "The boys over at The Surf Forum don't seem to care for it." It is not wet and it is not warm. IT sounds soild state. So does the '59 Bassman 'emulator' or whatever it is called. The whole thing sounds SS. If you don't hear that, then it doesn't matter to you. I hear it. It does not sound liek a tube-driven and tube-recovered spring tank reverb. IT is good enough to use in the clubs...handy and all....but it is just like everything else that is SS.....it isn't tube. The last 40 something years has proven that it is very difficult and very expensive to get even close to tube sounds with solid state devices.
    IT is noted that the device is 'approved by FEnder'. That approval was probably paid for and relates to the use of the Fender name, logo, etc.....not the sonics.
    Someone mentioned that they should have gotten Dick Dale to do the surf segment? LOL
    Dick Dale was part of the research into developing the 6G15 REverb unit. HE will play that reverb as long as he plays, because it does SURF reverb sounds for him.....wet and warm, wet and warm....some of the best things in the world are ....wet and warm. (;^)

12. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

I MUST get the legend series pedals. Bassman? Reverbs? Where do I pay? I can't find a site yet, but come hell or high water, I will have those by the end of the year.

13. czech-one-2

14. Wally

Wally Telefied

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

has anyone heard the actual unit in persona or are you all just talking bout the video?

16. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Been playing a Digiverb pedal, here. This could be interesting, though. You have to take the demo vids with a grain of salt since they are recorded in all kinds of rooms, with a variety of mikes, amps, and other particulars...:cool:

17. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

It's not out on the stores yet, so...

I was not impressed by the vid, but I'm no great fan of reverb.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Someone on another forum saw it demo'd at NAMM, and said it sounded darn good in person.

19. jmecale72

jmecale72 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting the Steve Trovato video. The pedal sounds fantastic!

20. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

The Digiverb is great... my fave setting is "church" altho "spring" is a close 2nd. Lots of drip in the spring!! Hey, does your digiverb have a little bit of white noise (shhhhhhhhhhhh) when you turn it on?

21. czech-one-2

Sorry Wally,Barney was really more for those folks at the surf guitar forum,as they are a bunch of barneys if they have drawn a firm conclusion on a pedal that has yet to be available to the general public.
    what is blagadaryu?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.