Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss Fender '63 Reverb PEDAL!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ruger9, Jun 11, 2009.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

That's why I mentioned ears and hardware. It's a good box, and like most Boss effects it's built like a tank. I'm just not getting what I wanted to hear out of it. I can get it from a real spring reverb set relatively low. You know just a bit of air.:D

2. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    still waiting to see one in nashua gc

3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Short version: Digiverb wins.

Long version:
    I have never used a tank, so I can't comment on how close the pedal is to the tank. I find the Digiverb better in every way. The EQ control on the Digiverb works better than the Tone knob on the FRV-1 to warm things up, the Digiverb has more drip (actually, I'm surprised the FRV-1 didn't have more... sounded nothing like all the surf recordings.) I also hear a "digitalness" with the FRV-1 that I do NOT hear with the Digiverb.

I knew the Digiverb was more versatile (I still haven't found an equal to the "Church" setting), but I even prefer the spring setting on the Digiverb to the FRV-1.

As far as doing "subtle", I found the FRV-1 COULD do subtle, but I didn't like the QUALITY of the reverb. The Digiverb certainly does subtle better, but it's level (mix) knob is very touchy in this regard.

As for using them with gain, neither did well. I'm thinking to use reverb with gain, the reverb needs to come after the gain, as in an effects loop or even on the mixing board. Putting a reverberated signal into an overdriven gain stage never sounds good IMHO.

So it goes back. Next up: the EHX Cathedral.

4. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I guess I'm going to have to try one for myself - duh! If it can't do subtle, I don't need it, too much of any effect is always a deal breaker. I am also one of those guys who doesn't like a dry signal - I've always got a little something on it to keep it interesting, but the key words there are "a little". Gotta be able to give me just a taste when I want it.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Problem is, with the mix down low (for "subtle"), the dwell has to be high. And with the dwell down low for subtle, the mix has to be high. Neither sounds very organic to me. And, like I said, it's splashy. For those of who like subtle, warm reverb, the FRV-1 doesn't excel. Try a Digiverb.

The big surprise to me was, the Digiverb sounded better for surf! Something about the COSM modeling in the Fender pedals just doesn't sit well in my ears. I have actually preferred every other reverb I have tried to the FRV-1... except the Verbzilla... it also has an unorganic quality, or a "digital-ness" that I just don't like.

My fave pedal reverb was the Holy Grail Plus. If it had a tone/damping knob, I would have kept it. But instead ended up with a Digiverb. I just ordered the Cathedral... it DOES have a tone/damping knob, as well as an Accutronics spring model, so I'm hoping that's the "end all" for me.

6. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I have a generic accutronics 2 spring short tank in my amp that I leave 'barely on' for that little bit of air. I bought the
    Boss FRV-1 for reverb I can hear as well as feel and dig into,like an outboard unit,all be it at a compromise. If you want subtle,any 2 spring equipped amp will get you there nicely.I had a digiverb and i thought the boss rv-5 sounded much better.
    So with opinions on reverb being literally all over the map,I feel kind of foolish for trying to suggest this to anybody.
    I'm more than pleased with it,so in my board it will stay!

7. orly

orly TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2008
    France
    Is the boss pedal better or more versatile than the dano spring king ?

8. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Germany
    I A/B'd the Verbzilla and Boss units a few weeks ago, with a Tele through an Orange amp (clean, reasonable volume). I found that it is true, on short reverb settings, the Boss is fiddly, and in general, the Verbzilla sounds better and is certainly more flexible. The price was about the same, too.

So, I bought the Boss.

Why?

Because it only has three knobs. My brain can't handle more than that. That was the deciding factor.

And now that I'm using reverb again for the first time in five years (none of my amps have on-board reverb), I'm using it constantly, at the low settings, where the Verbzilla would have been better. The adjustment is fiddly for low settings, but it can be done. And a little reverb really adds a lot to the sound. I've been playing dry for so long I forgot.

steven

9. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I too found the simplicity and 'one great sound' a major plus.I feel the only thing the boss lacks is the ability to adjust the DECAY of the reverb, so folks could get smaller room and plate type spring reverbs out of it,and it would be more subtle.But like the Big stand alone unit,you really get one length of decay,and the ability to increase or lesson its volume with the mix and dwell knobs.[I guess on the real Fender tube reverb unit you can use the damper bar to lesson the decay of the springs]

my question is,whats going on with the price/availability of these things?I got mine from pro guitar for $119.00 ,now theres one seller on ebay asking $158.00? And they still arent in the shops in this country.
    Did boss release them too soon and run out,or recall them?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

That's a good question. I found mine (which is in the classifieds) at a mom and pop store in Glendale. I solved my reverb problem by picking up a 1981 Princeton Reverb.:D

11. jakatone

jakatone Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2008
    Dubrovnik,Croatia
    nope man, at least not from my experience....i own the holy grail for a couple of years now....it survived 2 major floods, tons of falling-down-the-stairs ect. and still No noise, nothing...plus, the "flerb" sounds great....

12. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2006
    Seee-attle
    I got a chance to A/B the pedal with a real vintage '63 reverb unit in my living room a couple of weeks ago. It's not that you couldn't tell the difference, but the Boss pedal makes a pretty dang good show of it. The "real" one is more swirly and 3-D, I guess you could say, but at sort of mid-way settings, they sounded really similar.

For this pedal, I don't want a little airy reverb, just sweaty, drenchy, surf and I think it does it pretty well. I don't care about plates, tiles, flerbs, octos, chorus, blah, blah...

To yet again pummel the old saying... It's a one-trick pony, but I like the trick.

13. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2007
    Maine
    I really hadn't used mine much since I bought it, as it's for my "outdoor amp", and the outside party season is over around here. However, my indoor amp is in the shop right now, so I hooked up my '64 Concert and the '63 pedal, plugged my Hamer Daytona in and played for an hour or so. I really, really liked what I heard.

14. Hecks

Hecks Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Just had to gush.

Just got mine '63 pedal in the mail. It is phenomenal. Can do subtle ambience to BOING! And it nails the surf sound. NAILS IT!

15. kukuc

kukuc NEW MEMBER!

Feb 25, 2008
    Zagreb
    Could someone tell me if it is possible with frv1 to be used as a send effect at mixing desk-with aux send/return. That is, when you turn mix button fully clockwise is signal 100%wet? Sure would like to use it on snare and some drum parts :)

16. Joe K

Joe K Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Just got one. Hoping it's a quieter, smaller, sturdier Holy Grail. I'll know soon!

(I already know it's smaller and sturdier. I hope the reverb is decent/organic and that it makes no noise.)

17. Joe K

Joe K Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Tested my reverbs earlier today: Built-in reverb in Blackface Princeton Reverb, the EHX Holy Grail and the new Boss FRV-1 pedal.

To me, the Holy Grail sounds better than the Boss for what I use, which is the Holy Grail dialed to about 11 O'clock which somewhat matches a Fender amp set to 3 1/2 or 4 on the reverb dial. That's all the reverb I use.

It took a while to find an approximation of that setting with the three knob Boss (though I did not move the tone off its 12 o'clock position). After doing so, I have to say that I prefer the Holy Grail. It is more natural sounding and has a nicer, longer decay that sounds more like my Fender reverb amps.

I like the Boss, but can't get the "airy" sound I hear with the Holy Grail or the reverb in my amp. What it is missing is the sound of being in a big room. Easiest way to hear the diff is if you strum and chord and then choke it off abruptly (or strum a muted chord). I don't think you hear much difference playing lead lines.

I hear the reverb effect from the Boss pedal very quickly after striking the string. The amp and Holy Grail have more of a delayed bloom or a fade to the reverb effect.

The Boss pedal is definitely quiet though. It adds NO noise to the signal chain. I like that. I also like its ability to run off a battery or standard adapter cord. While I'm at it, the size is a bonus as are the side mounts for input and output.

I will have no qualms about using it playing with others. It is a good revwerb sound and IMO, you would hear the diff in a band (at all!). It also travels better than the Holy Grail (not to mention a true reverb tank!).

For playing solo or maybe recording, I like the Holy Grail.

For playing out, the Boss FRV-1.

18. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

Jun 23, 2008
    Monroe
    Consider though that the Boss isn't supposed to sound like Fender amp reverb, but the outboard unit, which doesn't sound the same as any of the in-amp Fender reverbs.

19. Joe K

Joe K Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Good point.

I played through an outboard once and thought the Holy Grail compared well. I do not have enough experience with one to know how the Boss compares. I expect real 63s also have that after-the-note airiness I like but certainly can't say for sure.

20. J o h n n y

J o h n n y TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2013
    QC
    i have a t-rex tonebug reverb, and is very good reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.