Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss Fender '63 Reverb PEDAL!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ruger9, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry, sarcastic is the the wrong word but did you really think that I would not think of turning the mix knob down? Again, no offense intended.

2. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    This is an interesting thread indeed!
    The first half was full of people saying it wont be able to do surf,its too subtle or not springy enough.
    Now it has morphed into the opposite direction of its too surfy.
    So definately try one before you buy it.

3. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

That's the problem. Tweak the knob just a little and it's splash city. Even set very low (and I'm saying really low, like barely), it's still a very wet sound. A lot wetter than I would have liked. One of the things that I like to do with Fender reverb amps is to use a lower gain tube (like a 12at7 or 5751) in the reverb recovery slot. It makes the knob much more useful. I wish there was a way to do this with the pedal, as I bought it for the very same reason EE did: to get a little ambiance out of my tweeds, and to get a better reverb sound than what comes with the AC15cc1.

I know you probably didn't mean to be sarcastic ( and there's nothing wrong with that. Sarcasm is one of my main tools.:D) but just because there's a mix knob doesn't necessarily mean the knob is truly useful. It literally goes from zero to sixty with a slight tweak of the knob.

5. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Exactly! I thought I was the only one who found this to be the case.

6. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Yeah Fezz, the last thing I want to do is piss off one of my guitar heroes :oops:!
    maybe I got a good one,but between off and 10:30 on the mix knob I can gradually up the wetness.However after 11 it gets wet FAST.
    Could be some inconsistancies in these pedals?

7. fezz parka

Yeah, he's one of my heroes too, but not just for his guitar playing.:D
    There could be some inconsistencies with the pots, but it's probably something more to do with ears than hardware.

8. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    are you being sarcastic?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

9. fezz parka

About Elliot? No. He's like my big brother.
    About ears? Absolutely! :D

10. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Again, sorry for the wrong choice of words. It's just that I figured it would be obvious that I would have tried to lessen the amount of reverb via the mix knob. And the tone knob. And the dwell knob!:lol:
    Peace,
    EE

11. fezz parka

It needs another knob.:D

12. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague

a 'Plate' knob apparently :D

13. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    The Boss Fender pedals are simply amazing and Boss COSM technology is very real.

I play through a Boss ME-50 (COSM) unit for my stomp boxes, modulation, delay and reverb and the results are fantastic.

Other thing is that the ME-50 takes pedals in front of it VERY well. Can't say the same for my Line6 POD XT Live that I got rid of.

The Boss "Legend Series" pedals can be seen on their site. I love the Deluxe Reverb amp.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=855&ParentId=254

14. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well, the Verbzilla has the '63 Verb and plate. And hall. And room. And regular spring. Honestly, the Boss is a nice pedal for boingy, springy surfy kinds of sounds. It just doesn't excel at "subtle".

15. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    For a non - reverb amp, I have been very pleased with my Verbzilla.

Hey, Elliot, I just got a nearly mint copy of this on vinyl this weekend. Love your music!

Attached Files:

16. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Germany
    Well, I hate to be a boot-licking toady, but I am, after all, a boot-licking toady, so, here goes.

I was about to pop for one of these. NO place to try it out over here, you jes takes yer chances. It'll show up in stores next year some time. I want it NOW!

But then Elliot Easton expresses an opinion ... the boot-licking toady in me says, 'wait, this guy probably knows what he's talking about.' Classical rhetorical fallacy, by the way, appeal to authority. Works on me, anyway.

And he recommends the Verbzilla. 2nd recommendation for that from one of the boots I lick (the other being from Bruce Collins, of Mission Amps).

Well, if I'm going to pop that much for a pedal, I guess it's going to be the Verbzilla. I hope I like it.

steven

17. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I gotta' say, this is the ONLY thread I've seen ANYWHERE saying it's too wet. Most reviews I read are either "it's great!" or "it's great, but doesn't surf as wel as a tank!"

I'm starting to wonder... if maybe Elliot & Fezz got ones with bad-taper mix pots on them? I had this happen to me once with an MXR Carbon Copy, it went from 1 repeat to like 5-6 repeats by moving the knob 1/16". I emailed Dunlop about it & they replaced it... had to have been a bad-taper pot, because the replacement was perfect.

I've owned the Verbzilla, and it's mighty fine, but the buffer adds a touch of high end that I don't like. I wouldn't call it a "warm" reverb. Sounds a bit too digital for me, I guess. Even on my Echo Park it does that too, but I love the Echo Park so much I ignore it to the best of my ability (still looking for the "ultimate tape echo" that isn't an expensive tape machine.)

My FRV-1 will be here tomorrow, I'll report back with my findings. For reference, I have owned: Holy Grail Plus, Verbzilla, Marshall Reflector, Digiverb (still have.)

The only other reverb pedal that is really got me interested is the EHX Cathedral. If I don't like the FRV-1, the Cathedral will be next on the list.

18. fezz parka

It's possible. But then again, with Fender Reverb amps (with the stock tubes in) I can barely ever get the reverb knob above '3' before it's too splashy. That's why I sub in a lower gain tube in the recovery slot. Then I get everything from the subtle reverb I'm looking for all the way up to "Pipeline"!

19. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I just want to be very clear that I'm not knocking Boss pedals. They make some of the best sounding, sturdiest stuff out there. I've got tons of them and have been using them since around '77. This one just didn't do what I needed from a reverb at this time, but if it's working for you and making you happy and getting you playing your best then enjoy the heck out of it!

20. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's entirely possible but it's kind of interesting that Fezz is someone here who I am actually friends with and who's playing I know and respect and he came to such similar conclusions, you know?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.