Boss equivalency test

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Put them in the trunk of your car, drive them to a cliff, push the car off.

GuitarKid, Axegrinder77 and E5RSY like this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I agree, somewhat.

The Big Muff has a relatively low input impedance, so having a buffer in front will alter how things sound.

Interestingly, the Ibanez Soundtank for the 60's Fuzz (FZ5) is basically a Big Muff with your typical Boss/Ibanez/etc. flip-flop/buffered switching, and they sound fairly decent, IMO. They're actually based off the Ibanez OD-850, which is basically just a repackaged Maxon OD-801.

...Maxon/Ibanez starting making their variant back in '74, so the buffered setup can't be that horrible, or they would have dropped it a long time ago.

Probably a less commonly known Big Muff variant that IIRC allows for adjustment of the input impedance is the Fulltone Mas Malo, if someone wanted an idea of how altering the input Z changes the sound.

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Whoa... I just looked it up - 130 Kohms. That seems pretty low doesn't it? So then it stands to reason that it will act similar to other fuzz pedals do around buffers - not good.

I'm definitely gonna try moving it. Only things is, I have either a od808 or a ts9 (just swapped in) pushing it (sometimes). This arrangement can't continue if the muff is to be pre-buffer.

4. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

As well as the typical guitar amp speaker frequency range. Hmm, maybe Boss knew what they were doing . . .

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  5. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

If boss made a nice acoustic pre-amp to replace my artec and a wah as good as my Morley classic then I'd be happy to swap. Other wise every pedal I have is a boss:
    tu3, bd2, od3, ge7, dd3, fdr1 and rc20xl
    I have no idea about this buffering nonsense, they all sound fantastic to me.

RetroTeleRod and artdecade like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The most criticized Boss pedal is probably the lowly DS-1, which I guess really does sound like crappage through a clean amp, but I think it was designed to be used as a boost in an overdriven amp, and it serves that purpose just fine. I mean, they're still selling those orange things so I guess there must be something redeeming about them.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

14 yr olds need distortion pedals. Then they grow up and move on to better things.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I only use 2 pedals a Zoom 707 and a DOD FX-17 vol/wha

DSCF1171.jpg hqdefault.jpg

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a few Boss pedals that I use, an ancient CE-2, a DD-2 and a DC-2. I'm not a fan of Boss dirt pedals, so I don't think I could replace the pedals I have with them.

As for the buffer thing, all I know is that my guitar sounds good through my pedal chain and I like it better then going straight in. YMMV.

10. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

The DS1 sounds great, and is extremely dynamic. It is the best Plexi in a Box I’ve tried. And I’ve tried way too many.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

I'm too broke to use anything other than Boss. Also, I really don't give a **** about boutique or knowing millions of pedals with funny names just because that would make me cooler to the nerds. If I could afford expensive pedals, I would keep using the old faithful Boss units.

I have an SD-1 that has been in operation since 1985 and is still going strong. I don't see a reason to replace it now. It would be like replacing my mother. It may not be perfect, may not be the best, may have its flaws, but when it gets to getting the job done, it does it in spades.

I don't want to sound like the coolest pedal or rig nerd on earth. I just want to go onstage and shake my @ss.

12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Not sure what to make of that. Some
    need to have magic gear to dial in great sounds I guess. I used to believe that about myself but came out the other side, fortunately.

JustABluesGuy and GuitarKid like this.
  14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

in my performance rig, I already have three boss units in there, a TU-3, a DD20 and RV-6

I'm actually preparing to build a small rig for those times I'm just too lazy to bring my whole rig, but just boss pedals.

TU-3 -> BD-2w (or just BD-2) -> OD-1 -> DD-7 -> RV-6 and just use a one spot daisy chain, or even get the TU-3 to power everything if it can. LOL..

and I want to see my friends' faces who have $1k-$2k rigs, all with boutiques like Strymons, Analogman, and others..

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol:

Stop, you're killing me! :lol::lol::lol:

16. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

I wonder why some people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a pedal. Once you're up onstage, nobody in the audience will give a sch!t about what pedal you're using. It will all sound the same sch!t in those hellholes you play.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  17. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Or another way to look at it - most amps sound good at stage volume. As do most pedals in front of them. Sure, people can dial in bad tone at stage volume, but it takes some doing.

GuitarKid likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

That’s why they came up with scooping the mids: so you can sound crummy at stage volume levels.

GuitarKid likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about replacing my pedals with BOSS but I could build a nice board with all boss pedals.
    I like the old sd-1 I had years ago. I still use a BF-2 and OC-2 pedal and have a PSM5 master/ power supply here somewhere ive had since the mid 80's.

Ad a DD-3 and a Boss Tremolo and it would be fine.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The newest pedal on my board is probably a TU2 , but probably 20 yo now. I haven't seen anyone produce a tuner that does a better job for me than a Boss Tu2/3

From the other end : DM3 , really old , I have a couple , and also a DM2. It's just a normal old-school warm sounding delay.
    DD3 : one of the first ones , works for me !
    MIJ SD1 , extremely easy to use , just works !
    BD2 , one of the first ones.
    I sometimes stack them , or use them separately , depending on whether singlecoils or humbuckers are used.
    When using humbuckers , and a small 30w amp with master v, I don't use the drive pedals at all.
    SF and BF Fenders at moderate volume , one OD on all the time , ride the volume on guitar so it fits. Use other OD for most solos.
    It's just so incredibly easy to use for my sounds , I hardly ever turn any knobs on pedals.
    I never dial in tone at home anyway , mostly play unplugged. The dialed in tones from playing alone at low volume , never fits with the band anyway.
    People should just use what works for them , no doubt about it.
    I just view all the expensive gear the same : Boutique gear - pedals -guitars - pickups blah blah , some people buy them , but hardly anyone needs them. I'm a tinkerer myself , and have modded lots of stuff.........It's a great hobby , and that is all it is....

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.