Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Boss CS-2 compared with the CS-3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by McGlamRock, Feb 17, 2012.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

On an impulse, I purchased a Boss CS-2 online a few minutes ago. I have read from a few forum members that they liked the sound of the CS-2 more than the CS-3. I will be using the pedal mostly for country and classic rock. Any thoughts on the differences between these two pedals?

2. Rusty

Rusty Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2003
    Bridge p/u
    Good call...you almost just have to A/B them to really "get" the differences between them, but i hear the cs-2 as being a touch more clear/natural while still doing the compression thing you're after. I used a monte allums cs-3 for a while after i got tired of the dynacomp/keeley squishiness...it's a good sound but then i pulled the trigger on ebay like you did and the cs-2 just sounds like a guitar should sound to me...let us know what you think when it arrives!

image-4101236488.jpg

www.rustyanderson.net

3. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2011
    Akl NZ
    I've found the CS3 to be a bit more obvious in terms of sound. Bit noisier than the CS2, but not by much. CS2 was just that - More natural sounding. More subtle.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    According to info at the Bossarea Forum (which is closed now and replaced by the Stompbox Zone Forum), people seem to agree that the earliest CS-3's with the DBX1252 chip in them sound better than the later ones with the THAT2159 chip. Here's all the info on when the change came in the chip and other stuff:

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/cs3.xml

The difference is supposed to be subtle but noticeable according to what I've read on the forum.

This should be considered when comparing the CS-2 to the CS-3 IMO.

Al

6. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I preferred the CS3 over the CS2. The CS2 is smooth and buttery but a bit dark. I bet with Vox's and BF Fenders it is a good match, but it was too dark for my Tweed voiced preference. The CS3 is a better match for that...IMO. :)

7. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Nothing like running an eq after it won't fix...

8. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2003
    Georgia
    I bought a CS-2 new around 1981 and with rare exception, have used it every gig since then. I set mine very similar to the Rusty's photo - Level at 3 o'clock, attack full out, and Compression between 9 and 11 0'clock, depending the the output of the pups of the guitar I'm using, weaker pups get more compression, more powerful pups get less. I rarely play humbucking guitars, but when I have, to me the compressor tends to make them sound too wooly, but with single coils, it sounds great. It drives dirt boxes in a very musical way, and on the rare occasion that I inadvertently switch the CS-2 off, I really notice it, both clean and dirty.

I owned a CS-3 for a while and to me it sounded more pedestrian, but it wasn't bad. I toyed with the idea of an Allums mod, but wound up selling it on Ebay.

I'd like to try some boutique compressors one day, but my CS-2 isn't going anywhere.

9. minstrel55

minstrel55 Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I own the CS3 and love it. It's not noisey with my rig at all, isn't over obvious. To be fare, I haven't had a CS2 in my rig, so I can't compare, but I really dig how the 3 works in my rig.

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

so after 6 months of playing the CS2, I believe I have developed CS2 fever. I just today bought a second CS2, this one a black label, MIJ production (the first one I bought was a green label, made in Taiwan). I probably paid a bit too much for it, but I think I will finance it by selling some of the gear collecting dust in my closet! Thanks for all the suggestions/advice. Much appreciated!

11. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    I've invested quite a bit of time in learning
    how to improve the CS-3. The CS-3 with the
    THAT chip can be made to be subtle and, if you'll
    excuse the term, transparent. And even with these
    improvements, I still don't turn the sustain up
    past 12:00.

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I bought a CS2 from ebay about 6 months ago and love it. I use it much more than I thought I would. Finger think I'll ever get rid of it our replace it.

13. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    What in the heck does that mean?

14. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    That my good sir is a cross between a not-so-smart phone and fat thumbs.

15. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    Oh. I thought it was translated from Japanese...

16. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    Perhaps

17. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    Arigatou gozaimasu.

18. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2010
    earth
    CS-2 - hissssssss......

CS-3 - HISSSSSS......

19. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    Not really. I guess if you crank the compressor... Nobody notices except other guitar players anywho.

20. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2010
    earth
    If you crank the compressor? Man, stop with the technical jargon - that's like - way too specific.

Yes, really. And if you ever played a decent one like the RAF Mirage, you would immediately hear the difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.