Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boss 59 Bassman pedal (NPD)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by '64 Tele, Sep 27, 2017.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Picked up a used model as Boss has discontinued these. Got home from work and had about 30 minutes to play with it some before having to leave.
    First impression......it doesn't "sound" like a pedal. With bass, middle, treble, and presence control(s) along with gain and level, it's going to take a little time to dial in, but first impression....I like it, a LOT.
    I didn't think it was possible to have a pedal MORE subtle than my Timmy, but I was wrong.
    First Boss pedal and it's built like a tank. :)

CV Jee Beez, Rospo, dr_tom and 3 others like this.

2. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    A few years ago I was looking at this one and their Twin Reverb pedal to go in front of my Valve Jr so I could have some tone controls.

Now that you have good things to say, I might look again.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Dang, I think this is the third one in as many weeks. A trend?

Congrats. I think they are just about to go up in value.

Is this how the RAT came back?;):lol:

RetroTeleRod and brbadg like this.

4. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I've been interested in this pedal for a while, without ever having the opportunity to try one. Today I saw one at GC....

Wondering if anyone has played both the Boss and the Wampler Tweed 57, and if they could compare the two.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA

6. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Does the twin pedal sound like a twin? Because if it does—oh no here I go again

7. BigWillyInd

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Pulled the trigger on that used Bassman pedal today. $50, and a little raggedy, but that's how my other peds look. It's on a police hold, so I won't be able to gig with it till next week.
    Are there any cool mods I should be aware of?

Staypuft1652 and '64 Tele like this.

8. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    It's digital, so no mods available.

9. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Congrats. I looked at "tweed" effect tried one briefly in a shop and preferred the American Sound I already had. I also have Lovepedal Les Lius High Power Twin Tweed which is only good for dirt IMO and doesn't do the cleaner side well. Would love a real vintage Bassman but am out of space.

10. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2013
    Ohio

Boss didn't make a "Twin Reverb" pedal. It was a Deluxe Reverb pedal, in black, with ... digital reverb emulation.

I don't think it's available new any longer.

Link.

That Bassman pedal is fun. I use it sometimes to "warm up" my Blues Jr., give it just a touch of "tweed."

11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Don't let the secret out... :D
    There is a reason why BOSS pedals are seen on pro boards everywhere... they are built to last and despite what many believe, most models sound very good!

RetroTeleRod and elmoscafeo like this.

12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    It's a great pedal! Made my amp sound grittier. I kinda wish it cleaned up better when I backed off the guitar's volume, as it's a very good "always on" type of pedal.

13. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    I have both but haven't used my Boss in a long time. I could do a side by side comparison. My first instinct is that the Wampler sounds more amp-like and realistic. But then again, I haven't used the Boss in a really long time.

BigWillyInd likes this.

14. BigWillyInd

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Here it is. A little ratty, like I said but perfectly operational. I find that I'm liking a clean-ish sound from the bright input best so far. If you look real close, you can see a reflection of my cat, who is also a pedal enthusiast.
    1507592798984.jpg

'64 Tele, RetroTeleRod and dr_tom like this.

15. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden
    I also bought me a used FBM-1 today... $80 an ok price in Sweden where it is pretty hard to find one. Loved it! Now I don’t have to drag my Fender ‘57 Custom Deluxe every time we have a rehearsal... works good with different SS amps I have tried it with, and side by side with my other pedals... especially my Archer Icon...
    IMG_3659.JPG

'64 Tele and wblynch like this.

16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Loved the '57 Bassman pedal by itself.....just pulled the EP Booster off my other board and placed it in front of (before) the Bassman......HOLY COW. Even better.
    New favorite pedal combination.

Sune Andersson likes this.

17. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas

18. Sune Andersson

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden

19. Sune Andersson

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden
    Today I did something pretty funny, that I have had in my head for some weeks now.
    I AB’d my precious new amp, a Fender ’57 Custom Deluxe...
    with a Marshall MG50CFX that I combined with a BOSS Fender Bassman FBM-1 pedal.
    I know what you’re going to say... it’s not fair to compare these two amps... and it isn’t. I just wanted to know how close you can get to the real tweed tone. And no, I didn’t record some examples this time, but maybe in the future.

I choose a clean sound on the Marshall and the tone controls at 12 o’clock and no other effects. Without the FBM-1 the Marshall sounded really bad. I didn’t like the sound at all. But with the FBM-1 and some tweaking I got pretty close to my Fender. But not all the way (thank God! I didn’t have to regret me buying this expensive amp) I couldn’t get the tone so clear as the real tweed tone. But I must say this pedal comes pretty close! The FBM-1 is a really good substitute if you are on a low budget.
    If you can get your hands one... don’t hesitate... buy it.

I will try to do the same test with a couple of other Solid State amps to see if it was just a lucky shot when I tested the pedal with this Marshall... a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100, a Peavey Bandit 112 and also with a Fender Hotrod Deville 410 when I have more time to do these tests.

And I know, I compared a 57 Deluxe with a Bassman sounding pedal... but that was the closest I could come.

View attachment 469139

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

20. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Still listed for sale when I just now looked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.