Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boring Ibanez ERG goes T-Type

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ThePhilosopher, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    I received this guitar in a trade as a lightly modified black Ibanez RG8. I typically don't like the Ibanez neck shape; however, for this guitar it seemed to work well for me (I think it's the extra width). Not being satisfied with the guitar's appearance I had it painted something like the old Vampire Kiss color of the old Ibanez RG7420/7620's.
    [​IMG]

I kept it that way for about a year and then thought about adding passive pickups and a Floyd-Rose bridge.

So, I ordered the bridge and looked around for people that would to the modification for me to no avail.
    [​IMG]

I then contacted a member on SevenString.org to build a custom Ibanez FR shaped body for me; he had done some good work for other members and came highly recommended. He sent regular updates on the body build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We ran into some issues with the stock FR block being too tall. Here's testing the stock block, the bridge sits much higher than I would like (and the neck shelf isn't routed quite as deep here).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ordered a new copper sustain block from the guys at Floyd Upgrades. I had it shipped straight over to the luthier to avoid any additional slow downs. He verified the clearances and worked continued.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guitar was then grain-filled and sent back to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to have the body oil finished by a guy locally, but he botched the job and I ended up going with a member of UnofficialWarmoth to redo the body finish for me. It was a huge nightmare of a job for him to correct and I'll spare you the horror of the shape my guitar was in. Initially, I was thinking of this since I was going to have a professional finish done.
    [​IMG]

I ended up going with this finish as the grain looked so nice.
    [​IMG]

I thought, this isn't crazy enough and ordered more parts.
    [​IMG]

I had my tech (who is doing the assembly and electronics work) do some more modifications to the body while I had the base plate of the bridge slotted out to accommodate the wires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is at my tech's house waiting on a new jumper cable to join the two Graphtech summing boards together (the first one I had was bad). A bit of finishing touches and some QA by me when I pick it up, and it'll be ready for some detailed shots of the work done. That'll all have to wait until Hurricane Harvey packs up and leaves the Houston area.

[​IMG]

2. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    I'm currently stuck on knob selection: black round tops (ala Ibanez), black speed knobs, black PRS-style knobs (to match the PRS switch tips and 513 switching layout).

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Go with something with the stepped knob style (Gibson or Fender type 'hats') rather than the 'speed knobs'. I find the speed knobs turn slower than the hats but more of an issue is they overwhelm the scale of the rest of a guitar. Sometimes they are great but other times they are just too much and with the fill of the bridge, the narrow body and the series of controls you may find the same thing Easy to try different knobs as they are not permanent fixtures.

I love your paint scheme! Even if you had a challenge to get there it's a nice result.

ThePhilosopher likes this.

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Well.. as soon as i saw the "more strings " i thought .. " oh man "..

Turned out quite cool looking guitar, i'd go gold for the knobs just to add some contrast

Liking it very much ! Job well done !

5. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks, I thought it might be cheeky to give it something a bit "vintage" looking. I get what you're saying about the speed knobs. I think I have a set of Fender-style bell knobs lying around as well.

Thanks, I've not much considered gold knobs - I think I have a spare set I could put on just to see how they look.

brogh likes this.

6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    That looks stunning!

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    How *hard* is it initially to get used to playing? What string tuning (and gauges) you using?

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal

9. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the additional string (I've been playing 7's on-and-off since 2001). After that, it was a matter of playing familiar songs (mostly stuff that was in drop-B: early Chevelle, some Slipknot, etc) transposed to use all 8 strings instead of a downtuned 6.

For this guitar, I'll be using 10-74 gauge strings tuned E-E (EBEADGBE); however, I have used a custom 10-102 set for tuning CGDGDGBE.

This album features a lot of 8 string playing in both of the above tunings, tracks 8-11 especially.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Did you wire for Synth!?

With the Ghost saddles, how could you not?

11. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    I did not as I have a better midi controller already:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But with those saddles, isn't it just a matter of wiring to a 13-pin? And later deciding to add a controller and processor?

Or you would have to have the controller immediately, even for just straight use? I forget.

13. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    I don't think the 13-pin out helps much if you don't have a controller. I could definitely add it later if I felt so inclined; however, I'll never pull off the kind of stuff Amir did in Orgy and I'm much more comfortable with my midi coming from a keyboard.

14. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    So close to being done, I ordered some PRS Amber Lampshade Knobs to complete it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    brogh likes this.

15. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston

16. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    Here it is with the amber knobs. I quite like it.
    [​IMG]

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Lovely! Reminds me of Stephen Carpenter's (Deftones) telecasters.

18. ThePhilosopher

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks, I'm a huge fan of Stef's guitar collection.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Are you actually just leaning that on the WALL!?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.