Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bootstrap Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by messhead, Feb 22, 2018.

1. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Has anyone tried Bootstrap pickups? They sell on Reverb, appear to be a small operation in Ohio. They specifically say they are made in Ohio, not sourced elsewhere and sold from Ohio. I can't find any other information about them. For $30, I ordered a set of their Palo Duro telecaster pickups (vintage output type pups) and they arrived today. The materials look right (actually quite nice), but it will be a few weeks before this project is up and running. Just wondering if anyone has heard of them, tried them, has any opinion, etc.

Bootstrap likes this.
  2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Never heard of them before but I found the own website. Interesting product description on some of their items.

Hope yours work good for you ☺

www.bootstrappickups.com

Bootstrapt USA Honeybee Pro Humbucker Set for Gibson®

Regular price$49.99

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

Bootstrap likes this.
  3. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    If by "interesting product description" you mean the latin text - that's just the generic placeholder text used by graphic designers - obviously, somebody forgot to fill in the real text there...

4. Bootstrap

Bootstrap TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    Well now that Lorem ipsum is just embarrassing, I’ll get working on our site tonight.

PingGuo, Whiskerz, drlucky and 7 others like this.
  5. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Haven't heard of them until now, but i will definitely take a look

Bootstrap likes this.
  6. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I’ll reply back once they’re installed. I will say again they look great. Yup, I get off a bit just looking at guitar parts. And the company definitely shipped quickly and in safe packaging. So far, so good.

Bootstrap and acrylicsuperman like this.
  7. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    priced nicely let us now how they sound. Shipping to Canada is more than the pickups cost Oh Well.

Bootstrap likes this.
  8. Bootstrap

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    Alrighty, the website is back up. Sorry for that, I was digging through Shopify and didn't take down all the unfinished product pages. Probably not the best way to introduce myself to TDPRI, but it's fixed now. :p

Anyways, just to confirm, Bootstrap Pickups are indeed wound in Ohio and are not rebranded imports or anything of that sort. We only have a few models right now, but I do take a lot of care in making them and I really believe they could stand up to some big names.

Also, shipping to Canada can be discounted, please feel welcome to shoot me a message through Reverb.

drlucky, Sollipsist, Felino and 3 others like this.
  9. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Prosperity, Sc
    Any chance I could get black covers for the p90 size?

10. Bootstrap

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    I do apologize, I don't currently have any black covers in stock. I have some burnt chrome covers coming up, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for pricing from my suppliers and look into adding black covers on the next order.

11. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Prosperity, Sc
    Thanks!

Bootstrap likes this.
  12. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Looks great!

Bootstrap likes this.
  13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I like the "free pickups" deal....hmm....

Bootstrap likes this.
  14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I can see a pair of new toys happening in the next few weeks.

Partscaster 2.0 ...

15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I wish you good luck with your new business :)

16. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Somebody dropped my ugly Squire strat (Cthulu) back to me, after lending it to them for a few months. I just ordered a set of bootstrap pickups for it flat poles/modern wire, after seeing this post earlier today. I'm looking forward to installing them.

acrylicsuperman likes this.
  17. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    The specs look good so I ordered a set of the Palo Duro telecaster pickups. I don't have a guitar to put them in right now but for 39 bucks delivered I figured what the heck.

acrylicsuperman likes this.
  18. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Update. Wired up the Bootstraps in the Surf Green Tele today. I must say this is quite a set of pickups. Very clear, open sound. The neck pickup is a tele neck pickup, love them or hate them, but I do not find it muffled or muddy at all. The middle position, once I dialed in the pickup level, is very very classic Fender sound. I'm one who rarely uses any neck pickup alone, but stays in the middle position most often. I'm quite impressed with these pickups. Thank you, Bootstrap Pickups.

19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I ordered some bootstrap off of the website, they showed up yesterday and I installed them in a squire strat today. I rewired the guitar while I was at it with US 250K pots and 5Way. I used a no-load fender tone pot for and used the SD diagram so that the 2nd tone control controls the B/M pups together. The pickups came nicely packed up, with white covers, grey flatwork tapped with screws and springs, cloth wiring and RWRP middle pickup. All three pups were 5.1x I believe. They sound real good straight into my blackface champ with lots of quack, harmonic complexity and a bit of breakup as I turn them up. They are not weak or muddy or harsh or ice-picky, I think I like the A5 magnets with the low wind style, it has I think more definition and crispy crunchiness than alnico 2's I have tried out. The have excellent clarity and and nice clear voice. The bridge pickup is a little zingy with the no-load tone pot engaged, but it's certainly not harsh or ice-picky. I also played the guitar through a blues cube, and it sounded good through that as well.

These are great sounding nicely assembled strat pickups at 4x the price!!

I think they would be an upgrade (to my ear) in a typical mim or American standard strat, and they are worlds better than the ceramic bar type pickups I replaced with them.

drlucky, Felino, fjlauer and 2 others like this.
  20. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.