Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boothill 5e3 No Sound

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Paul Strat, May 13, 2018.

1. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Hello,
    Doing a Boothill 5e3 build. Amp powers on, tubes glow, and had killer sound Friday night. Fired it up yesterday morning and had no sound. Hoping some fresh eyes can see something I can’t. Please overlook the sloppy wiring as I have poked and prodded and moved everything around trying to figure out this problem. I have voltage to the tube sockets, but don’t get a pop when probing the grid pins except occasionally on V1. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Pictures and voltage readings.... If you dont get a pop on the output tube plates, I would look at speaker and speaker jack connections first

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Is it silent on all four inputs? In the pic of your input jacks, it looks like the shorting contact may still be closed.

D'tar likes this.

4. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

Apr 8, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    I was thinking along the same line a clintj. Speaker jack switch looks open (good) in one pic, looks closed (not good) in another.

Last edited: May 13, 2018

5. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    That input does look pretty tight. You should still have a pop at the grids and plates. Fwiw, I have a set of jj tubes for any type of startup work, then I will move to the older gla$$ when all proves to be good!
    I would like to see a voltage chart.
    Do you have an insulating board under the main board? Some of your under connections stand very proud.

6. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Yes all 4 inputs are silent.
    I’m redoing v2 socket at the moment. Pin 6 was intermittent this morning after being good last night. Thinking I may pull the chassis and move the flying leads to the front of the board instead of underneath. It is insulated from the chassis. Was getting voltages to report when I found the issue on v2.
    So far:
    V1
    1 182
    3 1.4
    6 181
    8 1.4

V2
    1 175
    3 1.4
    6 125/jumping around

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Check the input jacks as noted.

This would be an ideal check for a signal tracer, which is one of my favorite methods to use for this type of troubleshooting. You literally poke around to send the audio signal out to another amp. When you quit getting your audio, you know where the circuit is broken. Google for how to make/use one.

Paul Strat likes this.

8. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Update
    Resoldered v1 and v2
    1m resistor at coupling cap next to filter cap shows 3.5 negative resistance and no voltage on cap when powered on. Normal resistance with power off. No voltage to coupling cap or pin 8 of v2

9. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    You will not get correct readings in ohms in a live circuit. Can you finish the complete voltage chart? That will give others clues to the next steps in troubleshooting. Still no pop sounds from the speaker?

10. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY

11. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    V1
    1 118
    3 1.5
    6 175
    8 1.5

V2
    1 174
    3 1.4
    6 0
    8 0

12. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    So if the V2 cathode doesn't have any voltage, the tube isn't drawing any current. Check the grounding on V2 and see if you find anything. Measuring from pin8 to ground should have maybe 55-60K Ohm resistance or so? If there is no connection to ground, that's an issue.

Snfoilhat likes this.

13. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    V3
    3 357
    4 335
    8 23

V4
    3 369
    4 335
    8 22

14. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    I'm no expert, but looks like some cold solder joints on the jumper wires. If it was working and now not, I would start chopsticking the solder joints to see if one came undone.

Good luck, you'll get it working.
    John

15. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Right. No voltage on the first coupling cap so I resoldered that turret. I’ll check the pin to ground then go from there. Thanks!

16. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Yeah, probably need to pull the chassis and clean those up. Thanks

17. Paul Strat

Paul Strat Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2017
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    That’s what I’m using to compare voltage. Thanks

18. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    you lost your plate voltage to V2,P6 from the 56k plate resistor. recheck that connection.

and as @corliss1 stated check the ground path from V2,p8 to ground(57k). Also V2,p7 to ground(1M+).

your output tubes look to be conducting. Did you hear anything through the speaker when getting your voltages?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.