Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boost Last In Line (Black Cat Mini Trem Content)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Trying something new last night. I put my Black Cat Mini Trem back on my main board and out of curiosity used it as a clean boost. Pretty sweet! Since the Cat has separate Boost and Tone knobs you can get it to function as a boost by turning the Speed and Depth controls to zero. If this works out I'm considering ditching my compressor and boosting the end of the chain rather than the beginning. So who else out there boosts at the end of the line. What do you use to accomplish this and why? All input (!) appreciated.
    Happy Tone Hunting,
    Rod
    [​IMG]

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nope, never tried it, but I do use my trem as a thickener/coloring at very minimum settings for depth and speed.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    If you go depth to zero on old school trem it works very well as a boost. It's actually very useful on a minimalist board if you set it after drives but before delay/reveb as a dual function pedal.

RetroTeleRod and Obsessed like this.

4. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    what do I use: MXR line driver
    why: wtf lead not loud enough I shall fix that immediately.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

5. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I've been using this (small silver pedal) bb72a1.jpg little Guyatone A-1 'Pre-Amp for Guitar Pickup' deal. It has no on/off switch, so always on. Right now, it's last in line and sit's close to the amp. I use it as it add's a bit of body, depth and sparkle to the proceedings. If I need a touch more/less bass or treble, a small adjustment does the trick...same with a bit of volume boost.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I could see boost last working well. Rather than push the limited input stage of a 9v pedal, you're pushing the input stage of an amp.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I gotta have a boost at the end. Soul Food works well, as does the Donner Boost Killer, just got a SHO (clone I can't remember the make, sounds good but adds dirt). I like having options...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

8. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Having options is what it's all about. I love this stuff!

I spotted the Guyatone on a back shelf as I was leaving a pawn shop. I asked to see it, offered $20 and walked out the door with an unexpected solution to a problem that probably only existed in my mind!

RetroTeleRod and bluesholyman like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.