Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

BOOOOM!!!!

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by arcticbreaze, Nov 14, 2017.

1. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    Just another reason to wear safety glasses and maybe even ear muffs when working on an amp.

ran just fine with light bulb limiter, took it out to check bias on on 6p3s-e's and booom
    swapped out blowen cap and all is just fine again boom.JPG
    Except for a room full of smoke and what looks like kapok. first time i ever had a faulty one.

tubeswell likes this.

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yikes, were you in there taking a measurement when it blew? Was it a new replacement, or did it just decide it was done?

3. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Was it backwards? I've seen them blow from being mounted backwards in a place I worked.

xafinity likes this.

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looks like it's in the right way. Sometimes you just gotta let the smoke out. And oil impregnated paper. That'll wake you up!

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    WHat brand of CAP is that? I want to avoid them as I am slowly gathering parts for a 5E3, though I may just buy the kit from Dave.

nsmith01tx likes this.

6. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Yikes! Glad you are OK.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    What voltage are the HT primaries on your power transformer?

King Fan, D'tar and Wally like this.

8. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Plenty of room for 2x100uf in series there on the board if needed.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Having just recently gotten my concealed-carry permit, I thought (from your thread title) this was going to be about something else. ;)

Urshurak776 likes this.

10. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    Wow. Please do let us know what you learn about the cause. I'd like to avoid having that happen in my face.

11. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Whoo! After seeing the mess that a 25uf bypass cap can make inside a chassis, I would have to clean up after that! In my case, a buddy stuck BOTH 6V6's in with the wrong orientation -- cap lasted about 30 seconds and went off like a firecracker.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Was there any warning....such as a hissing noise? The only time I have had a cap blow up in front of me, I heard that strange hissing sound and all of a sudden some instinct made me duck quickLy.....right before the explosion.

awasson likes this.

13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    PTSD anyone? I blew up the bias cap on my VibroChamp -- I had it in the right way but wired to the wrong source (if I recall -- the whole thing has a 'fog of war' deal in my brain). I do recall the bias resistor turned red and started to sag in the couple seconds it took to load up -- before I could flip the switch. You might definitely check the voltages like Clint suggested. And Wally's right -- if you hear something, switch off.

I did find an acid brush and isopropyl got those slightly waxy fibers off all the tiny places they stuck inside the amp...

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Yes, they blow up pretty good when they go. Unless your ear or body part is up real close, or some other extremely crazy circumstances, I don't think you can get physically hurt.
    Back in the 80's I took a night school course in electronics to test the waters. Students would sometimes play tricks on each other and wire an e-cap across the o-scope switch. You come into class half alert, turn on your o-scope and boom! Wake up call. Scared the begeezus out of everyone in the class.

awasson and jsnwhite619 like this.

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes and maybe no. The radial caps are more dangerous because both leads are on one side and the can will blow right off as a projectile. I got hit in the chest by one and it left a good welt. If that had been my eye...ouch...

16. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    yes I WAS in there with the meter at the time. never found the end of the cap.
    B+ is 400 cap was rated 450, it was second hand maybe I got it too hot removing it from the other board.
    It was an "IC" brand cap sold by AES as generic . used em before with no issues and was in the same amp as the PT had maybe 6 hrs on it.

17. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ

18. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    oh and yes slight hiss, maybe 1/2 a second, just long enough for me too look right at the thing when it blew

19. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Well, did you have some clean underwear nearby?

20. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    We had some machines with an 8 pack of 60k caps that were about the size of a yeti tumbler. When they blew it was like a shotgun going off and they usually sprayed acid and stuffing all over the cabinet door.

We were doing some work after a servo drive failure and had the door open and one blew right above my co workers head, it threw the cover about 80'. We were both glad he was short, I would have taken it in the face.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.