Booked my trip, I'm going to London.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, May 23, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

It's been three years since I last took a vacation and I'm at a point in my life where I really need to put the old horse down and get my head in a different place.

London is awesome, I first went there in 2013 and weirdly enough it actually felt natural for me to be there, it's just my kind of place and I absolutely love the history and the mentality of the people there. I'm very much looking forward to visiting the museums, I read about a couple of exhibitions that I really want to see.

During my time in recovery I watched "Masterchef" on the BBC and actually wrote down the names of the restaurants in Covent garden, so at this moment in time I don't give a flying bag of potatoes, I'm going to chow down when there.

Sadly, there's also something that I'm dreading to see. You see in 2015 a new development plan for Tottenham station was put into action, which means that THIS part of Rock N Roll history will be wiped from existence.
    [​IMG]
    Denmark Street, Denmark Street is THAT street where swinging sixties London got their groove going. That street hosted Tin Pan Alley, Maccari's music shop and Enterprise Studios where among others Queen, the Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols used to rehearse and record.

When I first went to London in 2013 I saw it in Full glory, Andy's shop was just awesome and Angel Music had the coolest gear. On recommendation of the guys at Angel's I went around the corner and actually went inside Enterprise studios, it was like walking on hallowed ground.

Or should I say that I saw it in "Full Gory" as Denmark Street was very much the filthiest street in central London, for example, to get to Angel music, you'd have to go to the second floor of the building it was in and the staircase was just a health hazard.

But hey, isn't Rock N Roll supposed to filthy?

I dread to see how much of Denmark Street is still left...

2. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

wouldnt hold you breath for celebrity resturants in London - dropping like flies - Jamie oliver's gone this week (again)

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

"Dinner" is where I'd eat. I loved it the first time.

4. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Stay off the sidewalks and look out for trucks mowing people down.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I hope it is still as it was for you in 2013, things seem to have changed fast in Europe the last 5-8 years. I was there in '97, but doubt I would even recognize the place now.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I hope you have a nice trip. I finally went to London for the first time in 2016 and have been dying to go back.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I visited the UK in 2015 and it had changed radically since last visiting in the early 80's. That could be said about most places these days. I skipped London that time though. I wonder what they have planned for the redevelopment. I suppose it will depend on who bought everything. High end hotels? Overpriced designer label stores? $50 buck sandwich joints?
    It may even be redeveloped into another city altogether like many other pockets of large cities have been in recent years.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I went to Denmark Street in 1978 whilst in London for the Earl's Court Motorcycle show. I can't remember much about the stores other than being barely able to see the walls for all the guitars, amps and safety-pinned parakeet-crested punks. :)
    London's too fast, impersonal and expensive for me these days, plus I like to see green fields as I'm driving to work.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Stroll the length of the South Bank & cross waterlooo bridge in the early evening istening to the kinks. Waterloo sunsets are fine.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I live in a London and it has been and is changing quickly in certain parts, including Denmark Street area. The historic parts rarely change, are plentiful and are mostly wonderful.
    Hope you have a great time.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I live a 30-minute walk from Denmark Street. There’s a lot of scaffolding and some shops have switched spots with each other. But it’s still there.

And as an American in London, my favourite thing to do is walk along the pedestrianised South Bank of the river, from Vauxhall Bridge to Tower Bridge in the evening.

If you’re a foodie, stop by Borough Market near London Bridge as you walk. Tons of stalls and shops, it’s been operating there for over 900 years.

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I lived in London from 78-81 and about an hour or so north from 84-87. My favorite quote about the city..

"You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Samuel Johnson, 1777.

London is my favorite place on Earth.

13. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

My trip is getting closer too, 2nd week of July. There's no hope of not looking like an idiot tourist I'd imagine...

Oyster cards came in the mail, have train reservations for Portsmouth and Canterbury, now just have to decide which boots go best with the burgundy Austin Powers suit.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Enjoy. Usually our vacations are camping a couple hours or more away.
    International would be cool someday. Scotland , London, Spain maybe

15. surfsup1955

surfsup1955 TDPRI Member

‘Twas there in 1976. Travelled via train from Portsmouth and had a blast!

All paid for by the US Navy..

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Blazer .... 3 years ago no doubt one thing that struck you would have been the start of the work for Crossrail disrupting vast swathes of London including pretty well obscuring most of Denmark St when emerging form the Tube station at Tottenham Court Rd.

Prepare for a sense of Deja Vu!

Crossrail = gazillions over budget and years behind schedule and Denmark St, although still there, has definitely lost its allure!

But, the museums/galleries are excellent, if you haven't been before do try the V&A ... not just old artefacts but contemporary stuff too. London is certainly one of those places I never tire of visiting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.