Boogie lovers dept.

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big John, Jun 14, 2009.

1. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Hey, sorry, I never answered this! I modded both of my Lone Stars with the Reeder mod (I wrote this up at the Boogie Board: https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30857) so my settings are not going to do the same thing as they would on your Lone Star unless you do it too. That said, I generally go roughly with
    Treble: 1:30-2:00
    Mids: 11:00
    Bass: 10:00

Presence: depends
    Drive: depends
    Gain: depends, but usually slightly lower than Drive

The last three really depend on what I am doing, and particularly how much I can turn up. The manual is very informative, but one thing that I found I veered away from in the manual was putting the Drive a little higher than the Gain; this seems to add a little more grit and teeth to the tone, but again it largely depends on what else is going on. Also, I'm always amazed at how much gain and sustain I get as the volume goes up, and I find that I should be backing off on the gains.

I usually go with 50w both channels, but that's because I've been torturing myself trying to play these in lower-volume settings. In a more "rock" setting I think I'd be using 100w to add some more presence and pop in the mix.

Fun amp!

gridlock likes this.
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Got my Boogie back and I’m back in the Mesa family.

I bought this amp back in 2011, traded it for SF Fender Deluxe Reverb almost three years ago. I found it for sale again locally and had to have it back. It was the best sounding Boogie that I’ve owned and is a pretty unique Boogie.

A 1982 Mark IIB with Simul-Class, Reverb, and a EVM-12L. I believe that this may be a transition Mark II amp, between a “B” and a “C”. It definitely has IIC knobs etc.

90959FE2-FA52-49AE-9DC2-C766DDCEFE7B.jpeg 9D075B51-095A-4295-B8FD-DB6C2BF939B6.jpeg 5F2DF1F6-FB91-44C4-8DA8-7055304E93F0.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    tlp123 and FenderLover like this.
  3. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

looks like a 105 transformer in there?

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Not sure what a 105 transformer is?
    Please explain.

5. Higgs F. Boson

It's the huge transformer that was used in the IIC+ and very early Mk III's, supposedly the "secret ingredient" in the IIC+. Are you certain that amp isn't a IIC?

BopT likes this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

That would be nice. I always thought that it was a IIB and I definitely paid for a “B” and not a “C”. I always wondered about this amp.

I’ll have to do some more research.
    Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
    Grid.

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Just realized that this is a 1982 amp. Probably not a IIC.

8. Higgs F. Boson

I bet the tech dept. at Mesa could tell you. Interesting color on the tolex too...

gridlock likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

The transformer has 100 stamped on it.

10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I contacted Mesa on this amp years ago and they stated that they did not keep serial number records going back that far. I think that I will talk to them again, but this time, I’ll send them pictures of the amps internals.

11. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Are there any Boogie Board members here that get through to the admins there?

ned@cullenracing.com is the only one I can find.

I cannot get a registration response from him.

Thanks if anyone can help.

12. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Owned a few over the years. Right now own a par of old 90's amps in a Subway Rocket combo and a DC 5 head. Run them with the same pedal board use the Subway the most as the little beast absolutely rips your head off and SOUNDS HUGE with a mic in front through the system.
    Here is the little Subway live from an event we did a while back.

Running no effects other than just a touch of verb in the loop and a little wah at times. She has a 16 ohm WGS ET-10 in her to give me a little bit of a power soak and help my low volume tones running just the amp.
    Here is another clip BIG tone for a tiny 1/10 20 watt combo is this not?

Consistently drops jaws when folk hear this little beast for the first time!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  13. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I tried over and over to get set up there but never could. They accepted me but when I logged in it showed no content. Log out see the board can't post log in nada finally just gave up on it.

14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I've been a Boogie man since the 70s. I got one of the very first Mk IIs; Randy was hand-building them at home back then. Great sounding head, and incredibly robust & reliable. Also a loud little monster. Ran it through a Marshall 4x12 with G12-65s and it was my signature sound for many years. Finally retired it from active duty in the early 90s after more than three thousand sets & sessions - with only one breakdown ever, a single burnt resistor which our soundman fixed on the spot.

It also made a great bass amp. I had an Ampeg 2x15 cab (big refrigerator cab with rear wheels & a handle to roll it) and I'd push the top speaker with the Boogie and the bottom one with a solid state power amp running off the Boogie's slave out. I used to kick in the lead channel for emphasis or to fill space when there were no power chords behind a guitar solo. By that time (late 80s/early 90s) every soundman took a send straight off the instrument using a DI box. They often were reluctant to mic the bass cab too but since we had no rhythm guitar there was usually an extra mic onstage already. Even so, they resisted. Have lost track of how many of those same guys came running after a set to ask, how are you getting that sound?!"

Eventually switched to a rack system in the early 90s when I got a MESA Triaxis preamp. Had already been a pro for nearly twenty years when I first discovered Triaxis. To call it a life-altering experience would be only a slight exaggeration; I still remember the first time I played through one. Finding it didn't just expand my palette, it changed the way I approach the instrument and even my production style. Only one or two other pieces of gear have ever had such an impact on me.

Just an amazing little box of tone - eight all-tube preamp circuits, and all of them good sounding. The thing that sold me on it right away was, one of the modes is just like the Mk II that I'd played an loved for all those years. I often say it felt putting on my favorite old comfortable shirt. Still my main lead tone. But several of the other modes get used a lot too.

Triaxis is unique in that it uses relays to alter the circuit configuration so the different voicings are genuinely, fundamentally different. It's not just changes made to the EQ between gain stages, they actually move around like building blocks to reconfigure for the various modes. And the tone controls shift values as well as placement to reflect the amp you're calling up. Super versatile.

My Tri is an early one, made while they still had an extra piggyback board inside carrying the Rectifier Orange channel. But it's late enough to have full MIDI cc capability (I don't take advantage of that, just use MIDI for program changes). Two flavors of great cleans - each of which can deliver enough gain to serve as two extra crunch/lead tones - plus six stellar higher gain tones, most of which clean up very well with the guitar's volume control so there's an incredibly broad spectrum of tone available.
    Including the flamethrowing Recto mode, sort of a secret weapon with unusual characteristics when overdriven and a whole different feel when dialed back.

A TGP post I wrote several years ago, Things I Love About Triaxis
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/not-enough-triaxis-love.1685739/#post-21625703

A rack was more practical for gigging with - by then my rig was getting more complicated and a rack made it much easier to move and set up. I've changed power amps a couple of times and scaled down from 4x12s to a single 2x12.

But Triaxis remains the heart of my tone 25 years later.

I've had and used a bunch of other amps over the years, especially when I was working as a hired gun. Sometimes artists would specifically request a Marshall, or my SVT for bass gigs. I own an eclectic assortment of amps ranging from mid-50s combos to a 2017 Friedman, including some really nice vintage blackface Fenders.

Still, for my own bands and my own sound, it's been all Boogie for more than forty years.

Steve 78 and snottyboy like this.
  15. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

If you still want on there, email ned at axisplayer@gmail.com

Ask him to delete you so you can re-register because of the problem you're having.

The same thing was happening to me when I got him to finally okay my registration. He said its a known problem, and sometimes the account has to be deleted, and you'll need to re-register using a new and different user name and password.

That's what I had to do, and now I can login and see everything, and post questions.

If you need Mesa info, its a good place. Plus Mesa also monitors the board and replies there too.

Ascension likes this.
  16. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I just joined! Express Plus 5:50. Loving it. Wide range of great tones. I’ll gig it for the first time in a week.

[​IMG]

18. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

snottyboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.