Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Boogie lovers dept.

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big John, Jun 14, 2009.

1. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey, sorry, I never answered this! I modded both of my Lone Stars with the Reeder mod (I wrote this up at the Boogie Board: https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30857) so my settings are not going to do the same thing as they would on your Lone Star unless you do it too. That said, I generally go roughly with
    Treble: 1:30-2:00
    Mids: 11:00
    Bass: 10:00

Presence: depends
    Drive: depends
    Gain: depends, but usually slightly lower than Drive

The last three really depend on what I am doing, and particularly how much I can turn up. The manual is very informative, but one thing that I found I veered away from in the manual was putting the Drive a little higher than the Gain; this seems to add a little more grit and teeth to the tone, but again it largely depends on what else is going on. Also, I'm always amazed at how much gain and sustain I get as the volume goes up, and I find that I should be backing off on the gains.

I usually go with 50w both channels, but that's because I've been torturing myself trying to play these in lower-volume settings. In a more "rock" setting I think I'd be using 100w to add some more presence and pop in the mix.

Fun amp!

gridlock likes this.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Got my Boogie back and I’m back in the Mesa family.

I bought this amp back in 2011, traded it for SF Fender Deluxe Reverb almost three years ago. I found it for sale again locally and had to have it back. It was the best sounding Boogie that I’ve owned and is a pretty unique Boogie.

A 1982 Mark IIB with Simul-Class, Reverb, and a EVM-12L. I believe that this may be a transition Mark II amp, between a “B” and a “C”. It definitely has IIC knobs etc.

90959FE2-FA52-49AE-9DC2-C766DDCEFE7B.jpeg 9D075B51-095A-4295-B8FD-DB6C2BF939B6.jpeg 5F2DF1F6-FB91-44C4-8DA8-7055304E93F0.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    FenderLover likes this.

3. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not sure what a 105 transformer is?
    Please explain.

5. Higgs F. Boson

Jan 23, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama
    It's the huge transformer that was used in the IIC+ and very early Mk III's, supposedly the "secret ingredient" in the IIC+. Are you certain that amp isn't a IIC?

BopT likes this.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    That would be nice. I always thought that it was a IIB and I definitely paid for a “B” and not a “C”. I always wondered about this amp.

I’ll have to do some more research.
    Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
    Grid.

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Just realized that this is a 1982 amp. Probably not a IIC.

8. Higgs F. Boson

Jan 23, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I bet the tech dept. at Mesa could tell you. Interesting color on the tolex too...

gridlock likes this.

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The transformer has 100 stamped on it.

10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I contacted Mesa on this amp years ago and they stated that they did not keep serial number records going back that far. I think that I will talk to them again, but this time, I’ll send them pictures of the amps internals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.