Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bone Voyage

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Dec 10, 2014.

1. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    That's true. But other times the intention comes through perfectly clear :rolleyes:

Sometimes you realize you shouldn't had replied to a particular post, but sometimes you just can't help it.

Great work as usual, looking foward to the rest of it.

2. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    What I meant by that was -and its fine to have an opinion: his opinion is based on another persons post and not from his own experience of building one. If Ken Parker listened to everyone it'd be a non-productive guitar world...

3. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Board is bound with the first creme strip.

[​IMG]

and set to cure in the jig

[​IMG]

Now that the top is glued on it's time for the second tuning stage.
    I remove material from the bracing, inner side and face of the plate to get the same tap note all around the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it's done (almost..) I cut the mortise on the pin router.
    This is going to be a PU equipped Voyage so the mortise is routed through the maple.
    On the acoustic model it will be done before the top is glued.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the gap left for the top to freely vibrate. It really makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To complete the 2nd stage tuning I insert the neck in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and complete the wood removal to fine tune the top. Now it is truly tuned all around the dish. Every time we add mass to the supporting ring that the top is mounted to it affects the tuning and this is why I tune in steps to get a perfect result on the completed guitar, not just the stand alone top.
    Here's the clip:

The tap tone is rich and extremely loud. I'm starting to feel that maybe it is a little too loud for an electric instrument... I took every measure to ensure I make out the maximum vibration I can to compensate for the small 13" size but it appears it came out almost too good.
    After the back is glued and the recurves are done the tone will become even louder and bigger... I may need to go easy on the recurving. We'll see soon enough.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

4. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I prepare some thin cut shellac and seal the inner side of the top and sides. This will ensure the wood doesn't get affected from rapid humidity changes. Two coats are enough.

[​IMG]

Back is masked with vinyl tape at the gluing area

[​IMG]

and gets the same shellac sealing process

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I let it cure for a short while.

Back to the board.
    Creme binding is cured and flush trimmed on this jig

[​IMG]

like that

[​IMG]

Fret slots are cut through the creme binding (the nibs will be left on the next Tortoise binding strip)

[​IMG]

0.095 X 0.055 fret wire is rounded to 10" radius, glued and hammered in (sorry forgot to take photos of that.. but you can see it in the other threads)

[​IMG]

5. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Shellac is dry

[​IMG]

I add a small enforcement triangle to support the Bridge PU mounting screws

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and hide glue the back. This time I use this easy method and will compare the joints of the top and back to see which is better. I assume they are the same since there are no gaps anywhere.

[​IMG]

I'll set it aside to dry and move on to the neck.
    Bone type straight channel is cut on the pin router

[​IMG]

and the rod is made by hitting and cooling intervals and bent into a perfect sharp 90° angle at the anchor area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should fit the BRRW fillet perfectly

[​IMG]

like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headstock ears are cut from the same billet I used for the neck (cutting leftovers..)

[​IMG]

and matched to the back of the headstock

[​IMG]

trussrod fillet is glued

[​IMG]

and the ears too

[​IMG]

I fit the channel headstock plug but do't glue it in yet

[​IMG]

Second board Tortoise binding added and the side dots are punched out of the same creme binding material for color matching.

[​IMG]

and it's overnight curing time for all parts (-;

[​IMG]

6. oblaty

oblaty TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Slovakia
    the speed you are building things never stops to amaze me... and that top is LOUD! what tone are you aiming at?

7. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Speed? it took me 2 years to work the design and do numerous tests on tops, necks, pickups, CAD programs... you name it.
    The actual build is the easiest part, always was.

Yes, it's loud, especially for it's size.
    I never aim at a specific tone, I kind of let the guitar be what it wants to be.

8. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Here's the board after cleaning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fretnot

Fretnot TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2012
    PA
    Keep up the good work, Gil! Haters be hating, nothing more.

10. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Love the idea of tortoise binding. I've wondered why more people don't use it, as it looks really nice especially on natural finished wood like mahogany. It doesn't really show so easily in pics but in person it looks great. I'm enjoying the build a lot Gil.

11. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Greetings Gil,

This is the build I have been waiting for. The inside is gorgeous, I can only imagine the final product. That's some jumbo fret wire, I love it. Thank you for all that you do for this community. I have learned so much from your sharing that a simple thank you just doesn't seem to suffice. None the less, Thank You very much.

Brett

p.s. I want one!

12. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2013
    Yonkers, NY
    This is great. It's always inspiring to watch your builds.

13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    I like it when my expectations are proved wrong. I expected to not like the two layered binding on the neck.

But I like it. A lot!!

I think, Gil, you may actually know too much, have too much knowledge in that brain of yours. I generally don't read all of your threads - yet - because so much of the contents is a long way beyond my current skills and knowledge. But it's great that you still continue to document your work here, for me it's something I know I can come back to, when I am looking to do something that isn't a 'normal' electric guitar build, and want to learn new things.

14. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sweet build - really enjoying it. Love the way you've handled the neck joint leaving the top free. Will you put a floating pickup on any models to leave the top isolated?

Just wondering, have you read Siminoff's tap tuning book? It's a very good reference for this kinda thing.

16. Jaya

Jaya TDPRI Member

May 5, 2009
    NYC
    Amazing Gil, now I can't go to sleep :eek:

17. jzilla

jzilla NEW MEMBER!

Sep 5, 2010
    los angeles
    This is so exciting. I'm tuned in! Thanks, Gil!

18. Izou

Izou TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Switzerland
    It's amazing! Can't wait what is coming next.

19. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.