Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bone Voyage

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Dec 10, 2014.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I tune the top plate only after the F holes are bound because the binding add material weight to the top and changes the size a bit.
    Normally, on the common F holes I will glue the WBW binding strips first but to do the Bone Voyage binding properly I will have to do them separately. The reason is that there's only a single breaking point (angle) in the binding outline and I decided to add a nice touch and avoid the usual pointy binding mitering. Instead the point is rounded.. so there's no way to bend the 0.105" binding in that tight turn..

I start by rounding the first creme binding over the correct diameter drill shaft

[​IMG]

and check the fit

[​IMG]

Mitering the hanged edge

[​IMG]

and completing the outline with a single strip making sure to cut the end accurately to avoid a gap

[​IMG]

I use acetone for glue and filament tape to hold the binding in place as they dry. My favorite is this stuff... which is thin and has a strong glue.
    The fiberglass veins are only running lengthwise so it's very easy to work with.

[​IMG]

Like this

[​IMG]

30 minutes later I remove the tape and repeat with the thin black strip making sure to locate the mitering point in a different location

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and complete with the 3rd creme strip [​IMG]

Thank g_d there are only 3 layers.. LOL
    and this is all for the sake of that tiny round corner.. but I love those small things and I don't mind the extra work.

2. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Before I decide on the back plate final thickness I wanted to test the 5/32" thickness.
    It doesn't break easily when bent but does shatter on impact.. I used a plastic hammer and got a clean break along the grain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also compared it to the top plate and found that the tap note is considerably lower on the back (no bracing). Now.. since I want the plates to sound the same I will need to go thicker as expected. I assume 3/16" will behave the same so I'll take it up a notch and do it 7/32". I'll try to break it and see how it behaves.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

3. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Sides are normally bent from a single strip of wood and enforced with bars and kerfing.
    I don't want that.. and don't want tons of glue in the box.
    I will be using a dense Cuban Mahogany blank and cut the sides as a one piece of wood.
    It will be 0.5" thick and will provide a massive solid base for the plates to vibrate on.
    It will also hold the neck tenon firmly without having the block touching the plates (they are concave in that area).

[​IMG]

I have a limited stock of very old and rare Cuban Mahogany that I reserved for the Bone Voyage. It's very dense and will not work for a solid body (too heavy). I had it air dried for quite a few years and it has kept it's flatness very well (it was old when I bought it.. so no surprise). This Mahogany turns very dark when exposed to the elements. See it compared to a freshly sanded Mahogany (Cuban on bottom)

[​IMG]

Medium weight Mahogany..

[​IMG]

and the Cuban.. (-;

[​IMG]

light sanding through the thickness drum and the vivid reddish color the Cuban is known for is back

[​IMG]

I will go eat some lunch and cut it later along with the back plate..

4. mlongano

mlongano TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Very exciting Gil...looking forward to seeing your vision materialize.

5. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Hi M!
    Nice to see you here again.

6. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    OH
    Thanks for turning me on to the thread Mike. Don't know how I missed the this.

Subscribed!

Gil- you must have figured out how to squeeze 25 hours out of a 24 hour day! Bravo for once again documenting a prototype build and sharing the thought process for construction choices.

7. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I made another back plate. This time it's 7/32" thick and it's a very strong plate.
    Having more luck than brains, the taping note is the same as the top so that nails the final thickness for both plates. The top plate is 5/32" thick and of course very strong due to having the X braces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body is cut, or better say.. extracted from the Mahogany block.

[​IMG]

Breaks my heart to throw away 90% of this precious amazing lumber but I may find a use for this thing. Maybe in the kitchen. Or in the battlefield.

[​IMG]

When I cut the body I program little bridges to hold the inner parts as the outlines are being cut.

[​IMG]

They need to be flush cut on the router table

[​IMG]

in this stage I also remove 1/8" from the plate gluing surface of the sides shell. I use a round-over bit. I do this to earn a little more free vibrating space for the plates. Considering the 0.120" binding channel I leave only 0.245" width for the glue joint (0.5" - 0.125" -0.120") and to prevent the glue squeeze out from trespassing the plates. Those re-curve outer areas are crucial for tone as I will show later in the build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

keep them pictures coming. lunch.. im hungry now :p
    chris.

9. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    F holes (I should say Cat-eye holes) Binding are dry by now.
    I flush them with the surface using a sharp chisel.

[​IMG]

outer side

[​IMG]

and inner side.
    At this point I also tapped both plates to find out they have the same identical tap note.
    I made a video on my phone and will post it on youtube soon.

[​IMG]

Note how the tip of the cat-eye came out!! I think it is worth the trouble. Hours well spent and it looks unique and better than a standard miter joint TMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more shots..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Hah... Yes, 28 out of 24. You know me (-;

11. love4god

love4god Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2012
    barbourville,ky
    awsome work preeb
    what kind of bridge u going with?
    you will find some use for that nice pice u cut out of the body:D
    keep the pics commin

godbless:)

12. Fretnot

Fretnot TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2012
    PA
    Looking amazing, Gil.

13. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    You call them cat's eyes, I'll call them Viking horns :D.

Really loving this build Gil. I think it will turn out awesome. I've got to figure out a way to build a hollow body someday. Something to play jazz poorly on :p.

14. potomac

potomac TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2011
    White Plains/NY
    Hm? ... I always thought that the wood grain of a bracing should go from one end to the other, that brings max. stability. In your guitar the the wood grain is in a 45° angle to the direction of the bracing, that could be less sturdy as it should be, couldn't it?

15. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Jul 21, 2007
    College Park MD
    Maybe an Electric Tenor Uke.
    [​IMG]

16. 1963neck

1963neck TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2004

17. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2009
    Lumberport, WV
    I was thinking that centerpiece could be an electric mandolin

18. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Blimey. That's some committed research! I mean, I have broken the odd bit of nice wood before, but never on purpose!

19. abarson

abarson TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Pickup mounting?

As always, enthralling documentation! I really appreciate that you take the time to explain your reasoning for doing something a certain way.

I'm wondering how you are planning to mount your pickups. Since you've taken pains to maximize the top plate surface, it seems a shame to cut holes in it to mount the pu's. Maybe float them somehow, or a new thin pickup like the Lace USAB?

20. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Always wondered why more builders didn't carve bracing into the plates! Well done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.