Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bolt - new model proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Fretnot

Fretnot TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2012
    PA
    Looks so nice, Gil. Amazing work as usual. :)

2. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Gil, when you do the sideways fret install, do you cut the fret slots wider than you would if you were going to press them in? Just wondering if the barbs on the sides of the fret tangs cause any issues during installation.

3. joedamofu

joedamofu TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Slovenia
    I admire your love and passion to the craft of making instruments. Its like watching a realy good documentary :)

As a big enthusiast for 20th century industrial design i also support your courage for making new design! Remeber: Big part of Leo's F. success was avantguardeus aprroach to design wich then was: Let the function dictates design (and not tradition). With (Bill Carsons) stratocaster fender finaly broke up from tradition and we all now what strat shape today means, not only in music but also in worldwide culture. And at first it was considered ugly! :)

I dont mean that you should change the design of guitars upside down, but should not be affraid of changing shapes when you improove your instrument or design. As you did on this model ;)

4. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2006
    Western Australia
    Gil,
    I like your idea of beeswax on the truss rod, thanks.
    Clive

5. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I will be using quite a few types of wood for the body and neck depending on the desired tone.
    This proto is based on a marriage between a mid 50's Strat (Light Ash body + Maple neck) and the full sounding AirGap P90's (PU's).

Just as an example.. I will be doing a Paulownia body with 1 piece BRRW neck and 2 HB PU's, Alder body with Maple neck and BRRW board.. etc..
    This will allow to use a very comfortable ergonomic design as a base for many styles of tone, with or without a tremolo.

6. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    It has been used by Leo since the early 50's on all pre-CBS guitars... so you're stealing anything from me really (-;
    Good luck, it's a great method.

7. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thank you my friend!

8. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    The slots are the same as the tang. The barbs cut their way in under the surface and keep the fret from lifting which is the good thing about this method compared to hammering/pressing.

9. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I agree about the Strat and Leo.. but you also have to remember that the electric solid guitar was a new thing back then and nothing was carved in stone yet. It's much harder bringing something new to the table in this advanced stage of the modern music scene and guitar playing.

There's 50% psychology in there too, LOL
    Have a look at this TGP thread which I found to be funny but yet interesting...
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1419914

10. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Not my idea... once again.. thank Leo (-;

11. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    Texarkana, AR

12. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Sorry, not yet. Too busy with other builds.
    I'll get back to the Bolt soon enough (-;

13. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2007
    california
    Looks very racy and fun to play!
    Kind of post-eb (Gimple) infused with the Yaronic tenacity for vintage perfection.

14. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    The Bolt-S with AG2-SSS PU's

Pickguard configuration:

[​IMG]

No Pickguard:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

15. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Paint one Pelham blue, and dress it in a black pick guard and it will look like Batman's guitar:lol:
    Nice design as always Gil.

16. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2013
    The "no pickguard" version looks very much like something Petrucci would play...very cool.

-Ryan

17. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I see what you mean but I assure you that it only appears so in the "dry" drawing. The Bolt looks and feels a bit different "in the wood" (-;

18. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks. I think (-;

19. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    OH
    Really like the pick guard version as is.

I'd like to see a reverse head stock version of the Bolt-S (no pick guard). Very cool.

20. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Me too. I think it will look great in reality in single ply white over Blonde or 2 tone burst.
    Initially I wasn't going to include the guardless SSS but since I'll need to cut another SSS template anyway for the HSS and HSH with different routing size and no channel for the single coil, I thought that it may be OK for those who prefer a more modern look. Tone will be affected as well. Big difference in high volumes between Body to PG mounted PU.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.