Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bolt - new model proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2008
    Atlanta
    Here I am a hobbyist risking a critique/question to a true professional. Nonetheless - and I ask this because I'm wanting to build a "3-pickup S-type configuration using P90s" also.

The amount of wood between the bridge studs and the pickup rout is quite thin. I've seen guitars where the wood collapsed in the direction of the string pull (into the pickup cavity) after time under tension - possibly years. Would some kind of reinforcement be advisable? Perhaps rout out the stud area and glue in a harder, stronger wood (say, maple, or some stronger exotic)? I ask because lightweight ash can sometimes be a little soft. Mahogany is not as hard/strong as other woods as well.

Thanks again,
    Michael

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Good point M.
    I addressed this issue by replacing the OEM stud inserts of the bridge with my own which are cut 1 1/4" long and the pocket is flushed with thin CA.
    Also note that the PU cavities are very shallow.
    Those inserts are not moving anywhere (-;

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Holy cow that's awesome! I just finished one very similar. Let me know what you think. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1426254265.174277.jpg

4. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Is that a 5 pos toggle?

5. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California

No. It's a standard three way. MV/MT. Middle pickup is on it's own volume and is blended in anywhere. Not interested in the five way, these ain't Strats!. The amount of tonal possibilities that open up far outweighs the ability to select the middle pickup by itself.

6. Doubletriode

Doubletriode Tele-Meister

Mar 23, 2008
    Geneva,Switzerland
    I am also not a big fan of the middle pickup by itself, even in strats that's why I use Schaller Megaswitches ( type E, I think...) which is a five way blade type switch that gives you the two outer pickups in parallel in the middle position. Also nice for a Nashville tele pickup configuration.

7. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California

With so many options opened up it's like a completely different guitar than something with three pickups and a five way. With my Strat based pickups (made from scratch, flatpoles, no reverse engineered Strat recipe) the tonal possibilities blow away that 60 year old idea of hanging the 3 way up in between positions. You get all the classic Telecaster/Les Paul. All the Strat tones minus the middle pickup. Then the added bonus of that blender to go anywhere anytime. The key though is figuring out how to wind that blender pickup so you aren't making mud.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1426348284.420899.jpg

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Mark,
    What a fantastic idea! Beautiful guitar.
    Rob

9. Doubletriode

Doubletriode Tele-Meister

Mar 23, 2008
    Geneva,Switzerland
    I guess I get confused when I have too many options ;-)
    nice job by the way, Mark!

10. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Just completed that Mahogany/BRRW Bolt-S.
    She sounds exceptionally good and weighs nothing. I love it!
    Also had the opportunity to do a mild relic and see how the Bolt may look 50 years down the road (like myself next year...) (-;

BRRW over flamed maple clay dots neck with massive jumbo frets on a 9 1/2" radius board.
    Featherweight Mahogany body with 2 knob circuit and 3 AirGap P90's in RWRP configuration.
    Under the bed mild relic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

11. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    OH
    What a fantastic instrument. A 6# mahagony body P90 S-type, beautiful! That guitar would look lovely sitting next to a certain 335 I know. (-;

Happy belated birthday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That is a honey!

13. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks M.
    Birthdays are getting awfully close to each other...

14. geos

geos TDPRI Member

Heart Felt Appreciation of Your Work

One day ... some day .... These guitars you create are full of goodness & wonder.
    I find it bemusing that both you and Leo came to the number "3" for the way to secure the neck. Fender's design did not work as well as yours. You took it further. You create beauty and elegance w/ wood and metal, not to mention the "sound", and the genius of the air gap pickup.

Is the trem bridge one of your own designs? It's very clean looking. Also wondering if the arm is a screw in or pop / push in variety. read the thread but didn't catch if your mention of it.

Thanks for posting your build threads. They are a gift to all of us.

Peace,
    geos

15. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Gil, glad to see you back here. The Bolt S looks great. How's that 3 bolt neck joint holding up after 50 years?
    Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.