Bolt - new model proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

New custom Titanium bridge for the Bolt-T.
    Featherweight Precision flat base, compensated titanium saddles, short fence, vintage thickness (keeps the twang).
    This was made for me by Gotoh and took a while to get finalized so it wasn't ready on time for the proto, but I'll be cutting a couple of videos soon, with the Rutters Steel/Brass and the new Titanium bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

WOW! :D

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent!

4. preeb

A couple of changes to the Bolt-S:
    3 bolt neck attachment similar to the bolt-T, deeper contours and transitions on the body curves and slightly different tuner buttons (oval).
    I have been enjoying playing both models a lot lately and this is probably a very subjective observation of course especially after designing those for myself (LOL), but they are both exceptional tools. Bolt-T video coming soon (after the Jewish holidays).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice grains on that body Gil, did you stain them black and sand back before paint the whole body?
    The bridge is awesome by the way.

6. preeb

There was no change in the finish method on the Bolt-S. Have a look a few pages back:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/478406-bolt-new-model-proto-build-4.html#post5835613

The body is pore filled with dark filler (50's Fender have a light filler) to accent the grain. It really does look nicer TMHO, especially on a non PG body.
    I really wanted to do an aged '54 Strat burst color scheme on that one but the player's choice was blonde (similar to the proto) so I'll have to wait for the next one I guess (-;

That bridge was specially designed with the Bolt-T AirGap PU's in mind (lots of "Zing" (-; ) but I also expect it to sound great with the Vintage PU option with added articulation, sustain and openness. We'll see soon...

7. preeb

Also worth mentioning.. this particular build will get a classic P90 set (not the AG2's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Wow Gil, even unassembled I like the aesthetic changes you describe. You are dialing in the look Bolt-S beautifully. Something about the recurve (flair) of the lower horn bothered my eye in the context of the rest of the shape. Now the entire instrument looks more integrated, proportional and organic.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

9. preeb

Bolt-T Clean video clip with Steel/Brass bridge (I'll be doing the new Titanium bridge clip soon for comparison).
    As usual, Yaron is playing directly into a JCM800 50W combo with a little amp spring reverb.

10. Bigsnaketex

Bigsnaketex Tele-Meister

Gil,

Thanks so much for pushing guitar design and manufacture towards perfection.

I also thank you for being fearless in trying new things without thinking you are going to slaughter some sacred cow. . . . Which seems to hold most builders back in the 50's!

I find your new designs to be amazing and forward thinking. They push the boundaries and still retain the comfort of all the good things we all know and love.

I've been building guitars for years and am simply in awe of your skills. PLEASE keep it up!

I've saved my last "thank you" for your willingness to share your ideas and methods with all of "us"!

God Bless!!

11. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Holey schlemoley! That sounds freaking awesome. Really, really like beautiful resonance and attack of the guitar no matter which pick up is selected. It sounds huge and the string definition is extraordinary. Bravo

12. mlongano

mlongano TDPRI Member

I love watching that guy play your creations, Gil!!!

Looks and sounds great...congrats.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Sounds amazing! Even better than it looks! And that is what is really important.

14. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Sounds really really good, I did found, however, the neck PU a bit glassy in some points, but it might had been the reverb. I just like it a bit warmer.
    That aside, I think the clarity you aim for is there for sure.

Quick question Gil, what wood is that on the LP body hanging on the back?

15. preeb

Thanks for the input.
    That was a clean demo to demonstrate the natural pure sound of the PU's with no EQ and no preamp drive (still don't find it glassy or harsh at all, actually it's one of my most sweet and full sounding neck PU's).
    I will be doing a "real life" sound demo with a normally light driven amp setup.
    Also remember that the AirGap system allows to reduce the magnetic flux per each pole to get a warmer sound when needed.

To your other question.. those are Bone models not LP's.
    The photo shows the pore filler drying on the Mahogany.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  16. Bigsnaketex

Bigsnaketex Tele-Meister

Gil,

I am completely fascinated by your "AirGap" design on the P90's. . . a vintage P90 is my "holy grail" of guitar tone and the only downside has always been the NOISE when using a single bridge or neck pickup. . . and of course, that single pickup use is truly where the magic lives.

My "superior musical reasoning skills" tells me that your design should take out a lot of that noise while keeping the grit and grind that makes a P90 so magical and I stand in awe of your reinvention of this amazing pickup. Simply having the reasoning ability to figure that out and the mechanical know-how of being able to build it sets you apart from the rest of us "dreamers!"

Unfortunately for me, your YouTube video's are my only experience with these pickups so far. There simply isn't an inventory of Gil Yaron Guitars in stores anywhere because you're a luthier and not a guitar manufacturing company!

So I'm wondering if you have been contacted by (or have contacted yourself) any OEM manufacturers who would like to license your design. . . and I'm equally aware that your business may not be for "public consumption" at this time but it would be a great idea and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!!

I truly think these pickups could revolutionize the electric guitar as we have always known it.

I personally found that Joe Naylor's (founder of Reverend Guitars) new design on his Railhammer series of pickups was a great leap forward in an old design and I've installed a dozen sets of those amazing pickups in guitars so far. I believe that his new idea and technology worked great to solve some age old problems. . . .so the question in my mind is "are you considering selling just your pickups"??

I realize that your "production" is simply you and your wife (and mainly your beautiful wife who you somehow hoodwinked into winding your pickups!) and I'm sure you're backlogged for months if not years at this point on your builds. . .

So is there any chance that these pickups will be for sale at anytime in the future??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Keep up the great work and thanks again for sharing your vision and passion with the rest of us - it's very exciting to witness the birth of something new and amazing!!

17. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Melomanarock- just want to comment that Gil's AirGap pups can be dialed in to what you are describing. I have a Yaron Bone guitar with version 1 AirGap pups. I "warmed" up the bridge pick up with a small adjustment of the pole pieces. It's amazing how sensitive they are to customization. The AirGaps I have are adjusted from below so they need to be removed from the guitar. Gil eliminated that issue with the AirGap 2. All adjustments are from the top. A brilliant design.

18. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Fabulous guitar! Is it me, or does the shot of the back of the guitar look like a ghost going WOOOOO?

19. preeb

Thanks so much for the observation and kind words Bigsnaketex !
    The AirGap p90's are not quiet.. they behave like any single coil and will definitely hum, but the shielding is maximized in order to diminish the hum to a minimum. They are not as quiet as a humbucker!
    In regards to your other question, it's the kind of stuff we shouldn't discuss openly on the forum as per the forum rules we must respect.

20. preeb

Thanks MK. Also worth noting is the wider tonal spectrum of the AirGaps. They are able to deliver stronger high frequency harmonics in comparison with a standard PU without being harsh (that was a major part of their design). The amp setup plays a big role here and I almost always set the eq differently when playing the AirGaps. The "Zing" force is strong with them.. (-;
    So it's only natural to expect a different general sound and behavior and it takes a little while to get used to that, but once I got used to the tone and dynamics there was no way back. I even use the Gaps on my Bass now.

I totally understand Melomanarock's remark because this first video is showing the raw sound with no eq or drive.. so try to imagine the richness of tone once the amp setup gets into play.
    I'll be showing this in the next video soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.