Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Bolt - new model proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Apr 17, 2014.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Following the Bone models I continue with my own guitar designs.
    The new design is called Bolt and is based on the F standard of 25 1/5" scale bolt-on neck with flat angle and a tremolo.
    The Bolt family will include at least two instruments, a Bolt-S (Strat type) and a Bolt-T (Tele style).

I will start with the Bolt-S in this thread.

Here's a couple of blueprints to show the general initial design ideas and aesthetics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will explain every aspect of the design as I get to it during this proto build but in a few words.. the idea is to build an S type guitar in featherweight, with old 50's style neck shape as default, better truss-rod system and a wide array of PU options that are all based on my new patented AirGap design. This combination of extremely resonant lumber with the AirGap PU's is the heart of the Bolt. In addition it will have a tremolo (which is not yet determined) and optional body wood types and optional BRRW fingerboard.

Like always.. we start with the body and print two templates for it at this stage, one for the outline and the second for the curved bevel cuts.

[​IMG]

here's the outline template
    cut

[​IMG]

and smoothed

[​IMG]

and the Bevel template

[​IMG]

Here's both one on top of the other

[​IMG]

I start with the outline. For this proto build I'll be using a very lightweight one piece Swamp-Ash body.

Marked

[​IMG]

Cut

[​IMG]

spiral trimmed

[​IMG]

to get a very clean and smooth surface Like that

[​IMG]

I also use this template to transfer leads for the pots, switch and neck mounting bolts drill locations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stage is cutting the bevels. I wanted a nice ergonomic body and didn't want to use the old Fender methods for the inconsistent arm rest and belly relief.. I still wanted an old school appearance and after some thoughts and experiments I went for the old Gibson SG beveling method with some modifications, but the build technique is the same.

Body attached to the Bevel template and ran on the pin router

[​IMG]

with a big 65° cutter

[​IMG]

both sides of the top..

[​IMG]

and I flip it to do the back (same way for the moment..)
    At this stage the rough beveling creates a weird point on the tips of both horns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... I now ran it on the pin router without a template to create a nice scroll on the top horn

[​IMG]

and a straight transition on the lower horn

[​IMG]

I repeat for the back

[​IMG]

with the exception of running it between the horns and over the heel to get a rough cut for the neck joint cutaway area on the back which will be transitioned later in the build for an effortless high register access

[​IMG]

A few more shots..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Kosher Passover!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
  3. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Jul 21, 2007
    College Park MD
    The start of a new Epic thread. :)

The plans look cool and the execution will be amazing. What's not to love?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bellybuster

Bellybuster Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2012
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario
    Oh Man!!!! That is just a great body, can't wait to see this one

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Nice body design.

7. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Looks lovely.

I have a question though. How come people get warned, banned because they mention their company names but Gil Yaron seems to be invisible?

I learned a lot from threads here, from yours as well. But this isn't the point.

Please don't go crazy or angry. Just asking where the difference is.

8. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2010
    Vancouver
    Subscribed!! Super excited to see what will without a doubt be another excellent build(s) thread!!

9. Hardneck

Hardneck Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2008
    Dublin Ireland
    Gil isn't any different to a lot of the other builders who contribute their time and expertise to this site. Read the forum rules and you'll get a better idea.

10. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    OH
    Oh my; subscribed! [​IMG]

Wonderful shape and headstock. Will there be a Bolt variant with a pick guard?

11. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks!

12. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Yes. The Bolt-S with the 3 Strat type single coils will have a white styrene or mint Nitrate guard and the Bolt-T will have the black fiber guard.

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Man oh man, this is going to be good.

metecem - i think my understanding of it is that (preeb) gil doesn't talk money or sales, just design and build. He's not try to sell us his art, just sharing his building and design skills.
    Here's what I mean: