Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

bob weir lessons

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by televarious, Mar 17, 2017 at 3:41 AM.

1. televarious

televarious TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    az
    check out "bob weir lesson" on you tube.
    most complex stuff i ever saw.
    not what he plays, per se, but what he leaves out. always been my fav guitarist. but trying to copy him? forget it. you have to be dyslexic, autistic, and on acid for some of it.

drlizardo and texastengu like this.
  2. televarious

televarious TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    az
    ok... so some of the dazzle has worn off, and maybe some of the craziness was imparted by the instructors. fiddling around some, i figured out some easier ways to play some of the stuff than the instructors had. still, the arrangements are much toghter than the loosey goosey i thought they were.
    btw most of the instructors were playing teles.

3. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2006
    Southen Indiana
    Everybody in the GD had their own strange thing going on. I've never seen anyone play quite like Bob. What are some of your favorite resources for learning that style (video/sites/Books/etc?)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    My wife and I went to dinner Friday night and these guys were messing around on the stage....my wife moved up and took the photos...

It was interesting to watch...they were running thru some tunes for that evening's performance...working thru the changes and transitions...like the minor chord tag at the end of "Uncle Johns Band" morphed in a long spacy jam...(but they didn't do it that way at the actual performance). It was like watching "band practice in bobby's basement"

During the show Bob opened with two solo acoustic blues tunes...different that what I've seen him play before but very, very impressive....

They also did some "Blue Mountain "tunes...They tried "Ki YI Bossy"....and after a couple minutes...when it was clear the tune was not jelling, Bob said he was going to bail on it and might trying at again Saturday night....and segued into a nice version of "When I Paint My Masterpiece"....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    Chip likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Looks like Pete Sears on bass. What was the band?

7. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Its David Nelson's band...Pete Sears, Barry Sless, John Moto, Mookie Seigal...also had Katie Skene. The DNB had been booked for 3 shows....but David has been diagnosed with colon cancer and cant travel so or the shows...Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Bob Weir covered for him. Kind of a treat....I didn't know that Pete Sears played bass on "Maggie May" until my wife looked him up on Wikapedia...

The Dead came up in 1980 for three shows, stayed a couple weeks...and were front page news for several days...Bob has apparently been back since then but hasn't done a show in Alaska since 80....

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sorry to hear about David Nelson, but it's cool you got Bobby with the band. Pete's played with everyone, either on bass or piano, or both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.