Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton":

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chet, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Chet, Mayall was not just a purist Mayall was THE PURIST. He never would have allowed it regardless.
    Don't rewrite historical fact. There were NO PEDALS it was simply a pair of Genelex Gold Lion KT-66's, which if You can find NOS (not repros) go for anywheres between 400-800 dollars depending on condition. If You put these Valves into a JTM an crank 'em - you're there sonically.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I saw Cream several times. Eric NEVER used a pedal live other then the Wah. I was close enough to the stage that one of the roadies asked me for a smoke. In the studio? Anybody's guess. Eric denies the use of a Rangemaster on "Beano." I think he just had the magic combination of guitar and amp. Personally, I like his tone best of "Fresh Cream."

BTW, The live version of "Crossroads" was the SG, not an ES 335.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Chet, take stantheman's word for it!

This used to be "common knowledge" among those of us who played at the time, but as years go by, it's been "obscured by clouds" ;) ...

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Surely if the man himself says he didn't use any pedals on the album, then that's the end of the story?

I have no idea personally, and always thought it was a Rangemaster based on stuff I'd read on t'internet, but I would have thought that the horse's mouth should be the final word?

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    It has been written that EC told the engineer setting a mic in front of his amp to move it "over there" because he was going to play loud to get his tone.
    I used to have a Mayall live album called "Primal Screams".Side one was live with EC,and side two was live with Mick Taylor.Eric got close to that same sound live.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Tough call, eh?
    There's definitely a lot of neck pickup with the tone rolled off on that recording, but none of the mud associated with that. And there's definitely something different about rolling off the tone at the guitar, then boosting it with something like a Rangemaster (I have the Beano Boost clone). This gives mor articulation to the notes.
    I have to admit to being a little queer for this album...sometimes I play along with it a few times a night for days on end.
    I think if one were to over-analyze something about it, it should be the playing and not the electronics.
    There are so many variables...the room, the microphone, your stereo/speakers...you might not even be hearing the tone that was coming out of the amp.
    You can be sure, though, that some of that stuff was played LOUD.

7. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    I'm going to have to find that "Primal Screams" never heard of it.
    Anyone ever noticed how the solo lead in "Strange Brew" is exactly like the solo lead in "Oh Pretty Woman"? I had friends who turned me on to Disraeli Gears, at that time I was backtracking blues and wasn't very open to psychedelic blues, but I recognized that lead riff to be the same one, so I played it back to back for my new friends and asked, which one do you like better now?
    I've always preferred Mick Taylors; in fact that solo is in my top ten lifetime greats.

8. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Clapton definitely paid tribute to Albert King in Strange Brew.
    Betweed Freddie and Albert, you have 50% of early Clapton.
    You a featherhead, HighTower?

9. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    On "All Your Love" he gets 2 levels of distortion- listen to the song. How did he do that? By turning the guitar volume up?
    Sounds to me like he stepped on a pedal right at the lead break.

I don't blindly believe everything I read on the "Inner-net". :D

10. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    "featherhead" : a foolish person : featherbrain "
    Are you insulting me and trying to disintegrate this thread:lol: into personal insults?:idea:
    Ok, then I'm gonna say it: I dislike Kings version of "Born under a Bad Sign" That is one of the few (very few) times when I heard a Caucasian band do a better version than the original, and I'm speaking of "Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw".:twisted:

11. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I guess not, then.
    It's not an insult...promise.
    It's sort of an "inside" thing having to do with the picture at the bottom of your posts. Maybe it's regional, but if you're not familiar with "featherhead" or "81" you might want to rethink that little picture.

12. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    Hahahaha, OK, I get it. And I only have that pic at the bottom in response to silly "Frisco" stuff that went on on another thread. Still, I think it looks cool though. I knowhow serious the Angels take their trademark and copyright infringement ,so it didn't have long to last anyway.
    I am not a 1 percenter or a 81 (HA) member, but I do respect the tradition through it's good and bad.

13. danelectro

danelectro Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2004
    Denver
    I'm going to guess some of EC's solos on Beano are overdub's. All Your Love clearly has at least two tracks of guitar and if you've seen Mayall pick it's safe to assume it isn't him.

14. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Pickup selector switch.

I played the song myself in the early 70's (Les Paul/Vox AC30), and it goes from neck (mid?) to bridge - sounded just like you stepped on a pedal! I loved that effect :cool: ...

That is correct! My band had two Les Paul players, which suited this song perfectly.

15. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    There's also something called "Raw Blues" both it and "Primal Solos" were on the Deram label.

16. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I'm reading Wolf Marshall's "Fretprints" article from the December 2002 issue of Vintage Guitar. He agrees with the opinion that it was a LP and the amp so I guess you'll are right.

I'd like to hear this for myself though. :twisted:

17. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    Let me know when and where this "proof" will be done. I'd love to witness that

18. bassbuster33

bassbuster33 Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2007
    Oregon

I am telling you, it is this combo. I can replicate it very closely. The JTM-45 is very touch sensitive and it is pretty flubby on the bottom because of the tube rectifier. Pick attack, pickup selection and the volume knob have a big impact on how this amp sounds and behaves, which is what makes it such a great amp. When that sucker is cranked and humbuckers are pushing it, the Beano tone pours out.

19. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon

That's was the rig for the Cream Era not Bluesbreaker.

[​IMG]

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    They have nice graphics, but that web site isn't very accurate. I've noticed lots of errors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.