Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton":

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chet, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    He had to be using some kind of fuzz tone with the Marshall 1962 Amp when he recorded that album, right?

I just listened to it and that's what I think.

2. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2008
    New England
    Any article I've read on that session no mention of pedals. Gibson Les Paul straight into a Marshall Combo.

3. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    EC used a Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster treble booster. Other devotees of this gem were Tony Iommi, Brian May, and Rory Gallagher.

4. GG3

GG3 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    You should check out the les paul forum. They've had debates on the subject.

5. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I had a Bluesbreaker RI and when I played it with my Les Paul it just got louder unless I put a pedal in the chain.

Is there a book about him that describes what he used over his career?

6. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    That lady and her crazy boyfriend banned me cause I didn't renew my photo thing. :rolleyes:

7. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    I had a reissue JTM45 combo; it broke up at a relatively low volume with the Celestion greenbacks. I can believe there were no pedals involved. Clapton's said in interviews that he had that amp cranked and the engineer wasn't really happy about it.

8. BellyBoy

BellyBoy Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2007
    Chula Vista, Ca
    Clapton has said he pulled a power tube and it has been reported that he used a Rangemaster Treble Booster.

9. bassbuster33

bassbuster33 Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a JTM-45 reissue and it just about nails it with the volume on 10 and my PRS SE Singlecut plugged in with nothing in between.

The PRS isn't quite as bright on the lower three strings. The difference could be attributable to a lot of things though, a treble booster being one of them.

10. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    It's just the LP into the Marshall, everything on full - no pedals of any kind.

There are pictures from the session that confirm this. Besides, Eric has said this in numerous interviews at the time, so it was "common knowledge" so to speak.

The use of a Range Master is just an "internet truth" - sorry! But I'm not sure even Eric would be able to convince a lot of people of the opposite today ... JMHO.

11. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2003
    Wash. DC.
    I've always thought sound wise it was the lp standard w/the p/ups raised way up through the Marshall popped up all the way on all the controls, and EC using a heavy pick really digging in with a real aggresive picking attack on the strings. I think that's why he broke strings all the time in the early days, as time went on and the amps were more naturally overdriven he began to lighten up on his right hand.
    There's a Yardbirds video of him playing the solo on the red Muddy Waters looking rosewood neck telecaster through a Vox AC-30 and he's brutalizing the thing with his right hand to make it go (presumably the the same guitar and rig he plays the blazingly killer tele solo on 'Ain't Got You').
    I've never heard that he was the pulling the power tube thing/trick, but that would sure make sense. I used to do that w/BF & Blonde showman amps back in the day to make 'em grind more, but who didn't?

12. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

Sep 3, 2004
    Greenville, Rhode Island
    sounds like most people think it was a UniVox Super Fuzz or Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

[​IMG]

13. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Hence his 'Slowhand' nickname.
    The audiences at Yardbird gigs used to do a slow handclap waiting for him to restring after breaking.

14. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    You ever plugged in a Les Paul into a Bluesbreaker and turned it on full blast? Those suckers are LOUD!

Eric must be deaf now....

and I doubt if it would sound like that. Listen to the record/CD- it's a fuzz pedal.

15. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

Sep 21, 2008
    Richmond
    That is a seriously cool diagram!
    I second/third the opinion that a fuzz was used on "Beano" (my pet name for that lp; just as I always called the 1st Butterfield "Incense,Herbs,Spices"

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Sorry Chet - you're wrong :oops: ...

17. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Unless you've personally tried this combo yourself I stand by my statement. It's OK to disagree. :)

You can't believe everything you read. Maybe he doesn't want people to know how he did it for some reason.

The tone is always credited for being the classic Les Paul tone that made the sunburst Les Paul famous.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    No. The Rangemaster was not used by EC until Cream. The Amp had Gold Lion KT66 Valves in it which will NOT FIT most of The Reissue Bluesbreakers, there are a few it will like the 1st year model which has the right cabinet and one of the "Custom Bluesbreakers signed by Jim".
    One of the first ones to use Fuzz was actually Keith Richard on "Satisfaction".

19. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I think he used the Les Paul on the entire "Bluesbreaker" album- not a Tele.

Listen closely to the lead break on "All Your Love". It suddenly gets really nasty so I think he stepped on the pedal right at that time- maybe even a second pedal.

I gotta get this album on the reissue vinyl that's out right now.

20. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Think about what Eric used in Cream which was only a short time after that. The wah-wah in "White Room" for example. I think Eric use more pedals than we're led to believe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.